Couple of Disc questions

First off i am in a semi casual 10 man guild. We are currently 7/8. We havent even pulled DW yet so i dont really have much too say on that yet but any tips would be great ( i have watched the fights so please no stupid answers).

1. For those of you that heal spine as disc when are you finding a good time to use mega bubble? Are you guys using it as a proactive CD or a reactive CD?
    we are single tanking the fight with 3 heals. Most of the fights so far i would say have pretty obvious times when to use major healing CDs but im having a hard time figuring this fight out. Like i said we cleared it but it was not clean to say the least.

2. Ive read/seen some people using heartsong instead of power torrent. As far as i know rapture is our main source of mana regen. Are disc priest doing this? Why are people doinng this at all bc it seems like the loss of int would not be worth a gain in spirit.

I cant do links yet but my priest name is Kainz-Velen

I trust the mmo-champ community so youre input is greatly appreciated.

P.S. our healing comp is Pally/Shaman/Disc

P.S.S. getting over back surgery so if some of this doesnt make sense i blame the meds : )
    "I promise Stormbolts dmg isnt broken"
    Patbottoms-Dalaran, US

Quote Originally Posted by Markofcain View Post
    First off i am in a semi casual 10 man guild. We are currently 7/8. We havent even pulled DW yet so i dont really have much too say on that yet but any tips would be great ( i have watched the fights so please no stupid answers).

1. For those of you that heal spine as disc when are you finding a good time to use mega bubble? Are you guys using it as a proactive CD or a reactive CD?
    we are single tanking the fight with 3 heals. Most of the fights so far i would say have pretty obvious times when to use major healing CDs but im having a hard time figuring this fight out. Like i said we cleared it but it was not clean to say the least.

2. Ive read/seen some people using heartsong instead of power torrent. As far as i know rapture is our main source of mana regen. Are disc priest doing this? Why are people doinng this at all bc it seems like the loss of int would not be worth a gain in spirit.

I cant do links yet but my priest name is Kainz-Velen

I trust the mmo-champ community so youre input is greatly appreciated.

P.S. our healing comp is Pally/Shaman/Disc

P.S.S. getting over back surgery so if some of this doesnt make sense i blame the meds : )
    1. I suggest using Barrier on rolls, as this is the most healing intensive time, with just having 3 tentacles up (which means more debuffs) plus the aoe damage taken.

2. I don't suggest using heartsong for discipline at all, mana shouldn't be more then a minor issue as disc. *If it is, you're either bubbleing too much, or not utilizing rapture procs well.

Your gear looks fine, other than you're missing a shoulder enchant, and the spec is fine for working on Madness, but i don't suggest using*Veiled*Shadows on any other fight. *(put the points in darkness once you are comfortable with mana on madness)

1. on the rolls, when raid groups up. cover first roll and then another one when cd is ready.
    can do pi+divine hymn just after roll, if theres a lot of debuffs on people (just remember to run to the middle before you start )

2. who were those ppl, was it in lfr or was it top guilds experimenting for hc during the race? use power torrent, gonna be fine.

if you have a resto shaman in your team, may consider loosing inspiration and picking something more fun (darkness!). you may want to pick inspiration back again when doing morchok hc if youre going to solo heal group (but its not necessary by any means, i always did it without insp and was fine even when i was in firelands gear)

So I might have read this wrong but if you are 7/8 that means you killed spine and are looking for Madness tips, But then you are asking for Disc that have healed spine so I will give advise for both.

For Spine:
    1. Use Barrier on the rolls. Coordinate with other healers on which CD you are using on each roll. If you get too many ticks of a 9 stack amalgamation or the number of debuffs gets too large don't be afraid to pop Divine Hymn.
    2. 100% PT. Rapture will give you enough regen if you are tracking it correctly. This is a heavy healing fight so using mana CDs early so you can have them up later will be really helpful.

Madness:
    So madness is a long fight, you have the ability to use most of your CDs 2-3 times (except for Divine Hymn) Barrier can be used early on the 2nd platform, and then on the last platform for the Elemntium Bolt explosion.(assuming you go G-R-Y-B). You will also be able to get the last Barrier off in sub 5% DW head. Timing CDs so that everyone can use them the most times while still being able to use them in the heavy healing phases is the most improtant part.

Deleted
    Spine

1. I don't think any of the above have factored in your healing partners. Don't ever use bubble on barrel rolls, use it when the amalgamation gets 9 stacks & is about to explode. You should be using SLT on the barrel rolls to get rid of the searing plasma debuffs.
    2. Don't use heartsong, you know why.
    3. Use PI on every barrel roll.
    4. If you really want to perfect this encounter take tips from those doing it heroic & pretty much follow the same tactic. For example, stand between fires on barrel roll, then only move in when the cast is almost up.
    5. Consider going atonement for both spine & madness, it's the superior spec on those fights imo. Better mana regen, higher burst, and decent cheap single target heals.
    6. When you use divine hymn won't be the same every time. Normal is pretty similar plate by plate, just use it when the raid is taking too much damage.

Madness

1. Don't single target heal much while the corruption is alive. I know that's intuitively what you would do, but it's better if you cast PoH on the raid, even if they're full HP. Crush is random & having aegis stacks on people really helps to mitigate that damage. Let your paladin/shaman single target heal those who take dmg. Obviously still shield the tank, keep pom on CD & keep evangelism stacks up if you're atonement though.
    2. Organise healing CDs, work out timings so you use them as much as possible. Essential healing cds are: SLT + bubble on blue platform when the meteor hits; aura mastery for the 2nd blistering tentacles on the blue platform. This is assuming a green-red-yellow-blue platform rotation. A point to note regarding SLT & meteor impact, if people stand in SLT & use immunity/reduction spells (ie iceblock/deterrance/dispersion) that's essentially free 200k healing to the raid, as their HP will be equalised but they will take no damage from the impact. Have a few people doing this & your raid will be near full without a single piece of healing, this does depend on group setup though.
    3. Bearing the essential CDs above in mind, use them earlier in the fight provided they will be off cooldown by this point. So for instance you could use SLT on red platform 2nd blistering, bubble on green 2nd blistering, aura mastery on first blistering on yellow.

Hope this helps.

1. when the amalg is exploding, as people have stated.
    2. PT, heartsong really doesn't appeal to discs too much because rapture is your main mana regen, not spi. I see some hpals using it now due to their recent change in judgement. i haven't seen too many other classes use it except due to gold restrictions.

I use PW:B on the amalag, not the roll. My group three heals it though with myself, a resto druid, and a holy pally. Our druid can tranq on first roll, i can DH on second, and tranq is back for the third. Works out well. I also let those guys do the heavy lifting on the debuff. I'll penance and then greater heal a player with searing plasma and then move on to the next one. By the time I get a second greater heal off it's kind of overkill and I could have been doing something more productive.

or you can go holy since its better on most of the DS fghts anyways

Quote Originally Posted by sysco View Post
    Ha, you're funny. The only 2 fights tha you can remotely argue that holy is better is on H Zon and/or H Spine. That's about it.
    Last edited by lizon; 2012-03-15 at 04:45 PM.

lets not do this

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicarious View Post
    lets not do this
    What he said ^ It's difficult to resist the urge to respond though, I must say. LOL

Deleted
    I never considered barrier for the rolls like others have suggested and always personally used it on the first and third amalgamation at 9 stacks but with enough control that mobs aoe damage is next to nothing where as during the rolls people tend to take loads of damage so using it during the first and third rolls could be a viable option. I don't really have anything to add other then our absorbs are mostly wasted on that fight.

As for deathwing thinking back to when we first reached it, the fight was much harder dependent on how many extra tanks and healers we took this was mainly down to the corruption tentacle I think its called, if your group can't get it down before the bolt comes then healers will have a really hard time keeping the group up and on the last platform where you have to soak the bolt while having that tentacle smack the group just as it lands caused us many wipes.

We opted for 1 tank 2 healers on this fight with the focus being mainly on the corruption tentacle, that means move dps to the tentacle before it spawns if you want to stand a chance of killing it before the bolt spawns.

Madness of Deathwing is indeed a long fight starting off you should be looking at a kill timer of around 12 minutes so it can be hard on healers to control their mana usage, the best advice I can give you though in that regards is to remind you of the extra haste you will have at the start, without noticing it you can easily blow through half of your mana pool on the first platform so just take it easy, the damage doesn't ramp up until the arm is lower on health so before that point there is no need to go overboard.
    Last edited by mmocb7bc0f26da; 2012-03-16 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halaberiel View Post
    What he said ^ It's difficult to resist the urge to respond though, I must say. LOL
    Considering the only fight we dont 2 heal is H Spine.. But yet every other one im holy on and we do it very easily.. Maybe if you learned holy a bit more effectively you would understand.

Deleted
    Considering the only fight we dont 2 heal is H Spine.. But yet every other one im holy on and we do it very easily.. Maybe if you learned holy a bit more effectively you would understand.
    I could do every fight as holy (& have), and 2 heal spine, that doesn't mean it's better. Easy content is easy.

That doesn't prove that holy is better than disc on most fights. Have you actually tried it as disc as well?

First off thanks guys for the input. Yes we had already cleared spine but I was looking for some input to make it cleaner bc our kill was pretty dirty, and i was, like i said having a hard time figuring out a good time to use healing CDs. Ive got a lot of good input from those of you that have taken the time to make an actual response. And last in response to the guy trolling saying just go holy my answer is no. I cant stand the play style of holy i dont like the changes they made with the chakra states. But that is the joy of having 2 different healing specs that are both very good. I love disc. I think preventative healing is a really cool way to heal. i know that some fights you can totally cheese the meters as holy but in the end meters dont matter. for me having a good time killing bosses with my friends with out anyone dying makes for a good raid night in my eyes.

P.S. I lead most fights anyway healing with a pally and a shaman.
    "I promise Stormbolts dmg isnt broken"
    Patbottoms-Dalaran, US