Focus, Chain and Clerics...Oh my!

About 3 days ago I got my Cleric to 50 and have started to gear him for the first lot of experts (mainly as healing) so I went and bought the Transplanar set. Every piece was an upgrade and I had tonnes of ISS and Planarite from the mobile app and IA's. But was that a bad move? Is there a pre-expert set that doesn't have focus or do I just need to roll with it until I start getting the Plaque gear?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Obo View Post
    About 3 days ago I got my Cleric to 50 and have started to gear him for the first lot of experts (mainly as healing) so I went and bought the Transplanar set. Every piece was an upgrade and I had tonnes of ISS and Planarite from the mobile app and IA's. But was that a bad move? Is there a pre-expert set that doesn't have focus or do I just need to roll with it until I start getting the Plaque gear?

Thanks.
    An upgrade is an upgrade, don't sweat it There are many ways to earn gear in RIFT, the first and foremost is through expert dungeons, so anything that gets you in there was a wise decision.

Deleted
    They changed it a while back so most cleric gear does have focus on it I think. It allows healers more flexibility if they want to dps. For example my cleric has 227 focus while being primarily a healer in our 10 mans

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heallygood View Post
    They changed it a while back so most cleric gear does have focus on it I think. It allows healers more flexibility if they want to dps. For example my cleric has 227 focus while being primarily a healer in our 10 mans
    Correct, my cleric is/was in full HK healing gear and since the change my focus is at 400 now so I can switch to full DPS with little or no gear swapping for any of the current PVE content.

My only complaint with purchasing the transplanar set is that you could have probably made better use of those Inscribeds on building a high SP/SCr source machine. Not a real big deal, but if you do plan on running a lot of T2s, some of your Transplanar gear might get replaced.

If you have an interest in raiding or running raid rifts, you want to push for 200 focus total. Whatever you don't have on the gear itself, you can make up a lot of it through Runes, which are ridiculously cheap these days, usually running you no more than a plat or 2 each. If no plans on raiding, 100 focus will be enough. I don't think invasion bosses require more than that. Could be wrong, not sure.

Thanks for the help guys, now I know I don't need to avoid any chain gear with Focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Acquiesce of Telara View Post
    My only complaint with purchasing the transplanar set is that you could have probably made better use of those Inscribeds on building a high SP/SCr source machine. Not a real big deal, but if you do plan on running a lot of T2s, some of your Transplanar gear might get replaced.
    I still have far more ISS and Planarite, I also picked up a Barnacle Encrusted Source Machine a while back from a pinata and right now it's filled with level 35 - 40 blue essences. But that raises another question I had about Greater Essences. I see a lot of people running around with only Lessers in their Source Machines, is there a reason for that?

Generally speaking, the stats you can get from the 100 ISS lessers is more valuable than the buff of a greater which'll only apply to a single spell in a single spec. That isn't always the case, but for Cleric DPS specs, it usually is. A high SP/SCr soucemachine is valuable across all 6 specs, and some of the cleric spells are amazing when you're around 2000+ SP, so you keep pushing your stats.

You'll want to check the Cleric forums for tips on if/when to run Greaters.