Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    As far as I'm aware, reporting for low skilled doesn't do anything. Rumor is you have a slightly lower chance of getting queued with that person but as far as I'm aware, nobody's ever been b& for it. As far as I'm aware.
    What it does is waste n seconds of some Valve employees or volunteers time and possibly cause your account to be flagged as report-spam. Unless you're positively certain that that player has somehow made it way higher in MM with solo queue, and you've looked at their game history and old replays to confirm they're clearly out of their league and they're not playing with any higher-rated friends. Then maybe, if you articulate yourself well you may get them to lower said players MMR.

And I doubt region-locking would completely solve the "problem", they're not difficult to circumvent and eventually the russian community would procure easy to access proxies and guides for their members. And then you'd have just generated more problems like cross region friends being unable to queue together in whichever region they like.

The skill "brackets" don't really signify anything except being arbitrary thresholds, like "your games average MMR must be this high for the replay to qualify as 'high' rather than 'normal.'" You will sometimes find irregularities when searching yourself, either because you're queuing with friends who have different MMR or because the game couldn't find you a game quickly enough and the search range expanded too far.

To whoever was asking about the eggs, if you didn't get your answer yet: You fill the egg with the essences from the Diretide event, and on a date (presumable November 12th) it will hatch into a courier or pet of some kind. What it will look like depends on what essences you put into the egg. There's 9 "slots" for essences, 3 Quas/Wex/Exort, and the type of the egg will change accordingly depending on how many of each you've infused. A full egg is called Seraphic Egg. There's some unusual essences that are supposed to add effects to whatever will come out and shadow essences that will permanently turn the egg into Dreaded Egg and lock it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    What it does is waste n seconds of some Valve employees or volunteers time and possibly cause your account to be flagged as report-spam. Unless you're positively certain that that player has somehow made it way higher in MM with solo queue, and you've looked at their game history and old replays to confirm they're clearly out of their league and they're not playing with any higher-rated friends. Then maybe, if you articulate yourself well you may get them to lower said players MMR.
    Yo.
    Yo.
    We're talking about LoL.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Yo.
    Yo.
    We're talking about LoL.
    Sorry about that then, but if anyone was wondering, that's basically what you'll achieve in Dota 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    I wouldn't enjoy this much at all. I never, ever, ever type in my own language.
    I specifically queue US to get away from all the silly Euro languages
    From what I've been told, English is the dominant language on the EU server as well, right?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't enjoy this much at all. I never, ever, ever type in my own language.
    I specifically queue US to get away from all the silly Euro languages
    Same, also i would love keep playing with my us friends

10+ Year Old Account
    Usually, yes. In Dota2, no. At least not in my bracket.

The EU servers seem completely controlled by Russians who either can't or won't speak English.
    Makes it impossible to communicate.
    Well, people that speak English are always welcome stateside. The funny accents are great, anyway.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Any idea when they're going to add smart casting? Google not yielding any results for me. I honestly cannot enjoy this game because of the lack of smart casting. It makes the whole game feel sluggish in comparison to LoL. I'd love to give DOTA 2 another shot once smart casting is implemented though. The game definitely does seem more complex.
    Smartcasting?

Any idea when they're going to add smart casting? Google not yielding any results for me. I honestly cannot enjoy this game because of the lack of smart casting. It makes the whole game feel sluggish in comparison to LoL. I'd love to give DOTA 2 another shot once smart casting is implemented though. The game definitely does seem more complex.
    I'm not certain, but I recall reading that it was possible to enable smartcasting even now through console commands. I'll see later if I can't find it.

Smartcasting means using abilities with a single button, like if you'd press W to land a Fire Strike Array it would be cast where your cursor is at the moment you press W, there wouldn't be need to use left mouse button. I got somewhat used to it in the short time I played BLC, but in Dota I'm too stuck to old-school habits, I still even a-click everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    I'm not certain, but I recall reading that it was possible to enable smartcasting even now through console commands. I'll see later if I can't find it.

Smartcasting means using abilities with a single button, like if you'd press W to land a Fire Strike Array it would be cast where your cursor is at the moment you press W, there wouldn't be need to use left mouse button. I got somewhat used to it in the short time I played BLC, but in Dota I'm too stuck to old-school habits, I still even a-click everything.
    Oh. Guess I didn't play use it when I was playing LoL. I like being able to press the button to have it ready to cast and still have time to make last-minute changes to positioning in case they try to juke. I honestly can't imagine playing Pudge with smartcasting, or anyone that has a spell that needs good timing and positioning.

Smartcasting is mostly used to give you better reaction times. Pressing a button once is faster than pressing it, then clicking somewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiftero View Post
    Smartcasting is mostly used to give you better reaction times. Pressing a button once is faster than pressing it, then clicking somewhere.
    That's what they always said, but I never saw it that way. You miss a lot more spells with smartcasting.

---------- Post added 2012-11-08 at 05:12 AM ----------

- Visage: Fixed Familiars agroing neutrals when flying over them.
    Hnnnnnngh

http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=61596

GG Visage OP now

On smartcasting, you're all wrong.

Both DotA and LoL are very, very slow games. Go play railgun freezetag in Quake 3 and come back and tell me how fast you think you need to be to play these games. Improve your reaction time? Give me a break. These games are so mind numbingly slow you can play one handed and click all of your spells and still keep up.

Whether or not you like playing the game that way is one thing, but to pretend you NEED it, well that's just silly. Most spells don't actually require aim at all, the ones that do you can take your time with. Especially in DotA, if you never fake cast split earth you're going to get dodged repeatedly by good players because if someone is paying attention moving you literally cannot cast quickly enough to hit them unless you lead them somewhere.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2012-11-08 at 04:30 PM.

I disagree with pretty much everything you said. I think LoL especially requires fast reaction times to play at a competitive level. I haven't played DOTA 2 enough to establish a good opinion on that game, but I can tell you right now that if you think LoL is slow or doesn't require good aiming and quick reaction...there's no way you're playing past even a beginner's bracket of skill level.

But think what you want, doesn't matter to me. I know I'm right, and you're wrong...to word things as bluntly obnoxious as you did.

And I'd really love to see you back up that claim that you can play with one hand and keep up. Maybe in DOTA 2 you can, like I said earlier, haven't played it enough to really judge. But in League of Legends? The thought alone makes me laugh pretty hard. If you can put a video up of you playing Ezreal with one hand and somehow not being a complete anchor for your team, I'll take you seriously. Otherwise for now I'm just assuming you haven't played LoL. Or if you have, you played a few champions and low SL games.

If DOTA 2 is really the kind of game that is so "mind numbingly slow" (as you put it) you can play it with one hand, perhaps it's not the game for me. Thanks for the heads-up on that, I figured I just interpreted it as being slow because I was playing at such a low skill level in the game.
    Exaggerations are just that, exaggerations, not meant to be 100% serious but more or less a hit in the general area. As for game speeds, League->Dota2->Hon, league being the "slowest" of the three, and yes I have played/play all three. General Consensus is that League is also the easiest of the three to learn and pick up, it also only has a hero level cap of 18. There is more to why the consensus is that its "easier", but what makes it "easier" and the low hero level cap are; what I feel, the major contributing factors to why its slow. Also you used 1 champion that does take a descent amount skill to play well, and even taking into account the amount of champions that League has, the majority don't take that much skill to play well.

Now I'm not saying Dota has a lot of heroes that take tremendous amounts skill to play well either, but perspective is perspective. Also, as long as one is playing the game and trying to win, one is being competitive and playing at competitive level. So please don't use the terminology to mean High Level play/Professional level play- Dota2's MMR rating is hidden, don't remember what League's is, HoN was like 1850+ (think it maxed at 2k- been like 2 years since I last logged in to hon)

Deleted
    Also, how is LoL slower than DOTA 2? I'm legitimately curious. It seems like in DOTA 2, I cast 3 abilities and go OOM. In LoL I'm constantly moving around, spamming abilities, etc..
    Because a lot more actually happens rather than just sitting there spamming Mystic Shots at eachother. The abilities are more risk with higher reward.
    I'll stick with LoL...it's the most played game in the world right now for a reason, isn't it?
    DotA Allstars beats LoL in playercount in China alone.

I...wasn't? How did...that even get interpreted that way?
    With this Right here:

I think LoL especially requires fast reaction times to play at a competitive level.
    Also, how is LoL slower than DOTA 2? I'm legitimately curious. It seems like in DOTA 2, I cast 3 abilities and go OOM. In LoL I'm constantly moving around, spamming abilities, etc..
    Exactly what Lycoris said.

Eh, whatever. Guess I'm leaving this thread, DOTA 2 isn't for me judging from what I've read here. I'll stick with LoL...it's the most played game in the world right now for a reason, isn't it? It may be casual/simple, but I have fun with it and so far nothing has really pulled me into DOTA 2.
    its definitely not the most played game in the world, shit its not even the most played Moba game in the world. Maybe in the US, but not the world.
    Last edited by Ichy; 2012-11-08 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichy View Post
    its definitely not the most played game in the world, shit its not even the most played Moba game in the world. Maybe in the US, but not the world.
    Europe*
    Pretty sure LoL is Europe's game. The US and Asia are in love with Allstars/soon DotA2 last I checked.

Anyway, I never played HoN so I can't really compare it to the other two, but, DotA is one of the easiest competitive games I have ever played. The skill ceiling is extremely low, what matters is not being a 400 APM prostarcraftworldchampion gamer with tremendous micro and killer mouse aim. All that is important is experience, and lots of it. What makes it hard to master DotA is the ridiculous mountain of information you have to know just to start being average at the game.

I won't comment much on LoL, the fact that people still consider it a serious/competitive game is the joke of the century in my opinion.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2012-11-08 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Europe*
    Pretty sure LoL is Europe's game. The US and Asia are in love with Allstars/soon DotA2 last I checked.
    Russians disagree with you:P

I disagree with pretty much everything you said. I think LoL especially requires fast reaction times to play at a competitive level.
    By comparison, it holds true against pretty much any competitive esports title available. APM and reaction times are virtually non-existant elements to achieve success in both of these games. I never understood why APM was listed on the scoreboard in HoN. With each hero/champion having abilities that have cool downs, what are you going to do after reacting once? Right click really fast? Are you this dense?

For reference, I frequently play match making games in the "very high" tier which equates to roughly the top 2%(?) of players. I still consider myself painfully average, and there are several people in this thread that are better than me. Neither LoL nor DotA are difficult games to get good at, it just takes knowledge and repetition. Compare this to Quake professionals who lose games because they didn't get their five hour-shift every day for the last week.
    Last edited by Longview; 2012-11-08 at 10:12 PM.

Quake new old best game ever?

Maybe.