1. #7161
    I cliff jungle when I need to eat and play doto at the same time, guilty.
    Win and live. Lose and die.
    Rule of life. No change rule.
    Running worse than losing.
    Random casual stuff now


  2. #7162
    Don't know if it's just me but people don't really talk much in my game at all let alone trashtalk. It's just a lot of pinging, misses, back, push, roshans... Sometimes I miss hearing people get angry

  3. #7163
    Titan PizzaSHARK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    11,313
    Quote Originally Posted by OscaR View Post
    Don't know if it's just me but people don't really talk much in my game at all let alone trashtalk. It's just a lot of pinging, misses, back, push, roshans... Sometimes I miss hearing people get angry
    They're pretty few and far between in mine. You get a lot of people being douchebags, calling people noob or whatever, but it's usually just the one time and then they're quiet the rest of the game.

    Shitbags like that Clockwerk are rare. I hope he gets help; his real life must be pretty pitiful if his only outlet is going on the internet and acting like a douchebag.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    The best you people can do is throw insults and lay your perspective on what a real adult is onto me but I will continue to reject them. And you will try and try again, force me into submission but I will continue to press on.
    MMOC IRC!

  4. #7164
    Elemental Lord Snowraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    8,971
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    The Dota 2 you "own" is just the spectator client. You don't need to pay 28 euros for access though, they keys are virtually free (0.02 euros in Steam Community Market) and there's even some Steam bot that has been linked here a few times that just shares them. If you need keys just add me http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197970707553?l, I've like 30 of them.

    It's not known when the game will be launched for 100% real, but for purposes of playing it outside of China the game is as good as free.
    I see, thanks for the info. And for the offer. Right now I don't have much time to play it, but will keep it in mind. I just thought it was weird to see the "you own this" and then there's still a price there, was more confused on the issue.

  5. #7165
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    409
    I recently tried Phantom Lancer and I must say that controlling hero himself and all illusions was challenging, what keys are you supposed to use when playing with champion that controls more than himself?

  6. #7166
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirtus View Post
    I recently tried Phantom Lancer and I must say that controlling hero himself and all illusions was challenging, what keys are you supposed to use when playing with champion that controls more than himself?
    Depends on the player, but the easiest approach would be to bind your hero on one key, other units on another key and hero+units on a third key, then individually select things for more careful micro. Note that if you hold control and left-click a unit the game selects all units of that type under your control (like all your illusions or similar summons) and if you have 'unified unit orders' enabled in options holding control while giving a command sends that command to all units you control sans courier. When I play PL the first time I spawn an illusion I just ctrl-click ctrl-3 and all my future illusions will be bound to "3."
    Manni of Paragon. Moderator of Dota 2 subforum - The golden rule: Listen to Lysah. Seriously.

  7. #7167
    Titan PizzaSHARK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    11,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    Depends on the player, but the easiest approach would be to bind your hero on one key, other units on another key and hero+units on a third key, then individually select things for more careful micro. Note that if you hold control and left-click a unit the game selects all units of that type under your control (like all your illusions or similar summons) and if you have 'unified unit orders' enabled in options holding control while giving a command sends that command to all units you control sans courier. When I play PL the first time I spawn an illusion I just ctrl-click ctrl-3 and all my future illusions will be bound to "3."
    Yep, simplest way of doing things. You can also do it with Sylla's bear, Visage's bats, Broodmother's bugs, and all other similar things. You lose out on a little fine control, but Dota isn't a very APM-intensive game for the most part, anyway.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    The best you people can do is throw insults and lay your perspective on what a real adult is onto me but I will continue to reject them. And you will try and try again, force me into submission but I will continue to press on.
    MMOC IRC!

  8. #7168
    For PL in particular, I don't bind illusions because they expire anyway and sometimes you want to spread them out in jungle farming etc. Much faster just boxing them and moving them where you want with A-move. But Dota 2 boxing is so weird compared to DotA and StarCraft 2. Just feels like you miss units sometimes and sometimes you get too many.

  9. #7169
    Titan PizzaSHARK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    11,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    For PL in particular, I don't bind illusions because they expire anyway and sometimes you want to spread them out in jungle farming etc. Much faster just boxing them and moving them where you want with A-move. But Dota 2 boxing is so weird compared to DotA and StarCraft 2. Just feels like you miss units sometimes and sometimes you get too many.
    I'm glad Dota micro is simple because if it wasn't, playing micro-intensive heroes would be almost impossible. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but Dota 2's controls feel very clumsy and sloppy compared to SC2.

    As for PL illusions, it doesn't become a problem once you reach the point where your illusions can easily sustain themselves, you just kind of fling small packs of illusions at each jungle camp while doing whatever with the real PL.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    The best you people can do is throw insults and lay your perspective on what a real adult is onto me but I will continue to reject them. And you will try and try again, force me into submission but I will continue to press on.
    MMOC IRC!

  10. #7170
    I am Murloc! Scummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,189
    Could I get some gentle advice on a game I just played?
    I say gentle because tbh it was one of my worst games. I'm pretty embarrassed to even put my name on it. I also wound up with some bloke raging at me the whole time which really didn't help.
    Now I'm not gonna lie, I'm mediocre average at dota and I know a lot of people here are probably far better than me so I'd really appreciate some honest feedback.

    The match id is - 164949032 and I was playing Void. I would like some advice on what I could've ultimately done better. I really didn't like that game and tbh feel like it's been my low point with DOTA so I really want to know how I can learn from it.

  11. #7171
    It begins.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-03 at 08:12 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    Could I get some gentle advice on a game I just played?
    I say gentle because tbh it was one of my worst games. I'm pretty embarrassed to even put my name on it. I also wound up with some bloke raging at me the whole time which really didn't help.
    Now I'm not gonna lie, I'm mediocre average at dota and I know a lot of people here are probably far better than me so I'd really appreciate some honest feedback.

    The match id is - 164949032 and I was playing Void. I would like some advice on what I could've ultimately done better. I really didn't like that game and tbh feel like it's been my low point with DOTA so I really want to know how I can learn from it.
    I watched most of it, you shouldn't feel terrible because your team were scapegoating you, they didn't really play any better and you died only 3 times as a hard carry in a 30 minute game when the rest of your team died 8-10 times each.

    Early game you had a very shitty 1v2 lane to be playing as a melee hero. Don't block the creep wave in safe lane or what happened there might happen, moving the lane out of the vicinity of your tower might be lethal to you. Clockwerk did you some favors by spamming rockets to keep the lane at your tower. Your last hitting wasn't bad, but it could have been a bit better, and you could have prevented the tower from hogging many of your last hits, and you could have at some points gotten free denies which you ignored. As a melee carry against ranged heroes, especially Veno, you need to be scared of taking too much damage when last hitting, but because you have an escape as long as you're near tower you don't need to be afraid of getting killed from 80% hp. Your enemies weren't too aggressive and occasionally backed from the lane but you were still reluctant to go and take lasthits even you were close enough to your tower to Time Walk to safety and live even if they blew all their spells on you.

    On your early item choices, Poor Man's was a very good idea, but upgrading to Wand wasn't. You can just leave your Branches wherever, but on a lane like that you need to be rushing to either get sources of regen (Ring, Tranquils, lifesteal) or Treads and some consumables as soon as you can. You also didn't necessarily need to max out Time Walk.

    Mid game is where your team went wrong. Enemy team was stronger in team fights and your teammates did a lot of pointless dying. You could have told people to relax a bit and farm/split push when enemy were coming in your mid lane, but instead you all went and died. Or even if your teammates insisted on defending, since you had some decent teamfight synergy with UD/Void/BM, you could have preemptively told them to stay at the tower and not dive into the river like everyone did. Your team made a lot of bad decisions which probably is the biggest reason you lost, and if it was for lack of coordination you could have perhaps taken the role of a captain and told them to just slow down enemy pushes while you and Sylla went to other lanes.

    My biggest criticism toward you in this game would be your later item choices after you managed to grab some kills in mid. Your enemies had no carries and they were clearly big in the pushing/5-manning thing, so going for farming items like BF can lose you a game if you aren't certain that you can hold onto your base for another 15 minutes. MoM was also not a good choice, you had low HP and the enemy had major nukers in Visage and Puck. What you could have done in this game is get Tranquil Boots and PMS early on, make up for bad early farm with maybe a Wraith Band (or Bracer or Drums or Aquila), then farmed up enough money to get Treads and Morbid Mask for farming and then looked at the game to make a decision between BKB or Desolator or Vlads or Maelstrom with maybe a casual Yasha thrown in.

    Not saying there wasn't room for improvement, but like I said you shouldn't feel overly bad about losing that game. You were a hard carry and the game barely lasted over 20 minutes. Just account for what your enemies' game plan seems to be when doing your shopping.
    Last edited by Hermanni; 2013-04-03 at 09:37 PM.
    Manni of Paragon. Moderator of Dota 2 subforum - The golden rule: Listen to Lysah. Seriously.

  12. #7172
    Didn't go Shadow Blade* on Void?

    Lesson learned.


    *not necessarily serious advice
    Win and live. Lose and die.
    Rule of life. No change rule.
    Running worse than losing.
    Random casual stuff now


  13. #7173
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Didn't go Shadow Blade* on Void?

    Lesson learned.


    *not necessarily serious advice
    I've seen a Shadow Blade Riki, I cringed.

  14. #7174
    Quote Originally Posted by Faceless Void View Post
    I've seen a Shadow Blade Riki, I cringed.
    literally my last game
    Manni of Paragon. Moderator of Dota 2 subforum - The golden rule: Listen to Lysah. Seriously.

  15. #7175
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    I've seen it built on Slark which I think was very clever as it allowed him to get more use out of his ult tho I woudn't suggest it.

    It worked well with Essence Flux as it allowed him to hit and run, constantly poking and stealing their stats leading upto a team fight and made landing pounce alot easier.

  16. #7176
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    Now I'm not gonna lie, I'm mediocre average at dota and I know a lot of people here are probably far better than me so I'd really appreciate some honest feedback.
    I quit playing dota for a couple years and have just now started getting back into it with dota2. Overall I'd say I'm pretty average right now as well so feel free to pm/add me, I really need to find more people to play with since queuing solo seems can be a nightmare at times.

    http://dotabuff.com/players/23256981

  17. #7177
    I am Murloc! Scummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    <snip>
    Okay massive thanks! I'll probably reread this a couple times to get it all in.

    This might sound too obvious a question, but you say just dump the branches? I take you mean just sell them? I only really built a wand because of the clockwerk, but I suppose it was a bit much for something like that.

    I'm currently really trying to find a intermediate guide or something or when to pick items on who and when for characters, it does seem to be my most common problem in games.

  18. #7178
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    This might sound too obvious a question, but you say just dump the branches? I take you mean just sell them? I only really built a wand because of the clockwerk, but I suppose it was a bit much for something like that.
    You can sell them or just drop them in the ground and forget about them. You only lose 26 gold if you destroy them. Wand is a good item but that early in the game it didn't do you much, especially since you weren't using mana or fighting much. 3 Branches cost 159 gold, completed wand costs 509, buying a Wand just because you don't want to 'waste' branches isn't always the best decision.

    When you play carry going for farming items (BF and Midas) can be tempting, but you have to consider if you can actually get away with it. If your enemy can push all your towers (and maybe rax) before you get the item that comes AFTER battlefury you probably didn't get away with it. If Nightstalker ganks you 4 times during the first night because you went Midas on Sniper you're doing the opposite of getting away. It's like going for fast expansions in Starcraft.
    Last edited by Hermanni; 2013-04-03 at 09:51 PM.
    Manni of Paragon. Moderator of Dota 2 subforum - The golden rule: Listen to Lysah. Seriously.

  19. #7179
    Shadow Blade best item on Void. AS and damage. What more do you need?

    Haven't watched your replay but some tips on last hitting under tower: If you hit a creep once while tower is hitting on it it will bring the creep to perfect health for you to last hit. This is assuming only tower and you are on the creeps and you have no Quelling as Void. If you have Quelling, just drop it while last hitting under tower.

    Also when you are melee against ranged, you can right click them to draw the creep aggro towards you and closer to your tower.
    Last edited by Ariadne; 2013-04-04 at 12:40 AM.

  20. #7180
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    Could I get some gentle advice on a game I just played?
    I say gentle because tbh it was one of my worst games. I'm pretty embarrassed to even put my name on it. I also wound up with some bloke raging at me the whole time which really didn't help.
    Now I'm not gonna lie, I'm mediocre average at dota and I know a lot of people here are probably far better than me so I'd really appreciate some honest feedback.

    The match id is - 164949032 and I was playing Void. I would like some advice on what I could've ultimately done better. I really didn't like that game and tbh feel like it's been my low point with DOTA so I really want to know how I can learn from it.
    I saw that game,and it's sad that like Hermanni said you were made out to be the scapegoat.
    You often were the last man standing and ironically some people think that means you're bad when you actually made a good decision not to go throw yourself on a plate.
    First of all there is no reason to be ashamed of that game,you did average.
    The only reason you feel ashamed is because you got bashed on the chat.
    Well I started dota 2 a few weeks ago so I can certify you I've been through just the same situations,and still do sometimes when I have a bad game.
    But I can give you some advice on that.
    -->Being friendly doesn't work and neither does ignoring.
    It really doesn't.What works perfectly?Being as rude as them.It's simple,if they don't respect you and they call you names you return the favor immediately.

    When that Undying said : ''lol this fucking void'' and so on....
    I would have said : ''stfu my skill is none of your business''
    He didn't seem too pushy so I think that would have done it and Lone Druid wouldn't have started bashing too.

    These are other lines you can use to counter getting insulted in chat,they always work I can guarantee that :
    ''stfu crybaby,stop whining''
    ''i'm not your teammate jerkface,so go make your own team or play public games and stfu about others''
    ''my skill is none of your business piece of ****''
    ''did your diaper go loose?stop crying b***''

    Be creative and make your own or use these,they really work and then you're free to play your game without having to worry about getting insulted any more.
    I throw these bullets everytime someone starts unrightfully criticizing someone on the chat.This community really needs to change.There's nothing wrong with losing games or trying new items or doing bad but then someone shows up to spread their venom and ruin the fun of the game.
    Last edited by ZRebellion; 2013-04-04 at 01:43 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •