From what we understand it's pretty much automated, like, if you do what I do and say "You get NOTHING, good day sir." in all chat when you culling blade someone and the enemy team is just having such a bad day that all 5 of them report you for abusive language you can get instantly chat banned just that fast.

So it appears I can get scolded for bringing me teammates and enemies' parentage into question? Not fun

hey everybody, i started playing dota 2 a few days ago and wanted to ask a short question. I like playing Viper (and also Venomancer which is kind of the same) and normally go for Ring of Basilius first for the mana reg. After that its Power threads and then shadow blade so i can easily open on someone with ulti.

Is that an OK build? And normally the game is won/lost up until that point but what should i go for next in line? I normally go for mjollnir after that.

Thanks in advance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hastilavista View Post
    hey everybody, i started playing dota 2 a few days ago and wanted to ask a short question. I like playing Viper (and also Venomancer which is kind of the same) and normally go for Ring of Basilius first for the mana reg. After that its Power threads and then shadow blade so i can easily open on someone with ulti.

Is that an OK build? And normally the game is won/lost up until that point but what should i go for next in line? I normally go for mjollnir after that.

Thanks in advance
    Basilius is always good item but don't buy it from start. You need regenration items and some branches for extra HP and mana. Treads is fine. Shadow Blade is also fine. However, Venomancer is usually played as a support in higher tier games which means you should be buying chicken and wards throughout the game. Don't expect to get any big items if you play support. Boots, wand and bracer is usually what you can be happy with.

Mjollnir is bad on both those heroes. Its main purpose is for farming and those two heroes don't need to farm that much. I also don't think Mjollnir works with Viper's first skill, which is an orb effect I think.

Deleted
    Medic Panda, now this is a hilarious idea

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    Basilius is always good item but don't buy it from start. You need regenration items and some branches for extra HP and mana. Treads is fine. Shadow Blade is also fine. However, Venomancer is usually played as a support in higher tier games which means you should be buying chicken and wards throughout the game. Don't expect to get any big items if you play support. Boots, wand and bracer is usually what you can be happy with.

Mjollnir is bad on both those heroes. Its main purpose is for farming and those two heroes don't need to farm that much. I also don't think Mjollnir works with Viper's first skill, which is an orb effect I think.
    thanks for the input, i will give it a try

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Chat banned twice already trololol
    Glad the community is cleansed of my team direction, now people just have to watch my pings and pray they can guess the difference between engage and run for it.
    Yeah, even I got one. I had Void for the second AR game in a row, can't talk, Shadow Demon comes bot with me and starts autoattacking creeps and pushing the lane... can't even draw on the map, so I can't combine pings and lines to indicate that he should start pulling.

I just abandoned the game. It really is just about impossible to play with pubs if you can't communicate.

I dunno. This new system is definitely showing the downside to automated systems.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    This new report system would be a bad idea even if it was remotely possible to get the manpower and administrative structure that would make reviewing each and every report viable, because dota is a team game, and I would rather have someone flaming everyone on the team for the slightest mistake, so that they could alert the team to something at a crucial moment, than have them be muted. Also, what's the deal with allowing people to ping? That's probably the single most annoying thing anyone can do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well from a new player perspective i can kind of see why they did it, when i first started people were raging at me. Now im the kind of person that would go google wtf 'feeding' etc was so i learned from it.
    One of my friends though that also started in the last week or so was so put off from the abuse he was getting in games that he didnt want to play online again at all.
    I know you need a thick skin to play these kind of games, but i cant blame valve for trying their best to not put off new players, since more players = more money.

Personally i only report people if they really annoy me, like calling members noobs constantly without giving them any advice on what they should be doing instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    I report pretty much anyone that's being a douchebag. If they can't be civil and friendly, they probably shouldn't talk at all. Of course, there's a difference between telling someone that Battle Fury is probably a bad idea on Void after their 12 minute Hand of Midas and going OMFG STUPID NOOB FEEDER, GET WRECKED KID, but most people won't differentiate.

I know that my buddy almost certainly got chat-banned for a day because the enemy South American stack all chain-reported him and his two buddies (probably his entire team, but he was only queueing with two buddies) for... saying gg at the end of the game, I guess.

EDIT: Obligatory "fuck Magnus." Watching G-1 League games and LGD's going to the LAN finals almost certainly because they had Magnus. Zenith would have a fight mostly going their way, then - nope, lol, blink RP while Anti-Mage with two Battle Furies cleaves everything to death.

I'm sick of watching Magnus (and Nyx) ruin games at the comp level. Making pubs a joke is one thing, but when actual money is on the line... the hell is taking Icefrog so long?
    Last edited by PizzaSHARK; 2013-04-22 at 04:17 PM.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    'I'm sick of watching Magnus (and Nyx) ruin games at the comp level. Making pubs a joke is one thing, but when actual money is on the line... the hell is taking Icefrog so long?
    Yeah they're so OP they barely even get banned any more, clearly the players feel the same way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    Yeah they're so OP they barely even get banned any more, clearly the players feel the same way.
    No, instead they're usually first pick. You are probably the only person I've ever seen that doesn't think Nyx and Magnus are gamebreaking.

Watch VP vs Mouz game 3 from G-1. Tell me Magnus isn't completely fucking broken. Twice VP gets a good initiation on Mouz, when Mouz overextends or plays sloppy, then all it takes is Magnus clicking blink and clicking R, Gyro clicks R on top of Magnus, clicks Flak Cannon, free rampage.

I can't think of any hero who can so dramatically change teamfights with nothing but a blink dagger. Epicenter does a crapton of damage, but it's channeled and it doesn't stun. Black Hole stuns for 4 seconds, but it's channeled and doesn't do as much damage (compared to the RP+Shockwave+Skewer combo.) Ravage is really good, but it can be blocked by BKB. Rexxar only stuns 1 target, etc.

And it's not just RP. Shockwave functions as a better Dragon Slave, and Empower is effectively a free Battle Fury for your carry - and even if they're ranged and can't benefit from the cleave, it's still a very substantial damage bonus.

EDIT:

Watch the fights at 21:10 and 26:28. Not perfect play by VP, but in both causes they catch Mouz out of position and then Magnus just runs in, clicks RP, and instant team wipe. It's not even just the instant Black Hole, but the sheer damage Magnus puts out on top of that - 300 from Shockwave, 280 from Skewer, and about another ~300 or so from RP itself.
    Last edited by PizzaSHARK; 2013-04-22 at 05:05 PM.

No, instead they're usually first pick. You are probably the only person I've ever seen that doesn't think Nyx and Magnus are gamebreaking.

Watch VP vs Mouz game 3 from G-1. Tell me Magnus isn't completely fucking broken. Twice VP gets a good initiation on Mouz, when Mouz overextends or plays sloppy, then all it takes is Magnus clicking blink and clicking R, Gyro clicks R on top of Magnus, clicks Flak Cannon, free rampage.
    According to dota-academy Mags has been banned or firstpicked ~30% of games this month. I don't have time to watch the clips now but I don't have particularly hard time imagining that if you engage a team with 1-2 of their most meaningful heroes missing and then said heroes enter the combat when the enemy are mispositioned it's going to have a pretty large impact on the outcome. I'm willing to bet this is going to look like the other team is just doing a pretty serious mistake. Pros do those too like poor Dread who apparently thought level 1 Battle Hunger is better than level 1 Counter Helix on an offensive trilane against a melee carry.

I do think Magnus needs looking into, but you're exaggerating the matter beyond belief. On a pro level I'd say he is almost balanced.
    Last edited by Hermanni; 2013-04-22 at 05:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    According to dota-academy Mags has been banned or firstpicked ~30% of games this month. I don't have time to watch the clips now but I don't have particularly hard time imagining that if you engage a team with 1-2 of their most meaningful heroes missing and then said heroes enter the combat when the enemy are mispositioned it's going to have a pretty large impact on the outcome.
    Name a hero that has that kind of impact. Even Enigma with a blink and BKB doesn't have that kind of impact because the black hole can still be interrupted by some skills, and unless he somehow has time to drop a pulse before black hole, he's going to do a LOT less damage. Tide isn't very effective in the middle of a fight once the enemy team has BKBs.

I do think Magnus needs looking into, but you're exaggerating the matter beyond belief. On a pro level I'd say he is almost balanced.
    He's balanced like Nyx is balanced, sure. Which is to say, Icefrog's too busy counting money.

He's balanced like Nyx is balanced, sure. Which is to say, Icefrog's too busy counting money.
    Which is to say, you're too busy counting money. Pls focus on balance Pizzafraud.
    Last edited by Hermanni; 2013-04-22 at 05:33 PM.

imo Nyx is more OP than Mag. Mag is good but not THAT overpowered. Longer cd on ult and remove skewer slow maybe? Nyx seems harder to fix though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Name a hero that has that kind of impact. Even Enigma with a blink and BKB doesn't have that kind of impact because the black hole can still be interrupted by some skills, and unless he somehow has time to drop a pulse before black hole, he's going to do a LOT less damage. Tide isn't very effective in the middle of a fight once the enemy team has BKBs.

I remember them being countered by blademail. Both, Nix and Magnus. At least in wc3 dota it worked.
    RP is not that OPed if you are not getting caught off guard/off position/stacked up, magnus is easy to shut down on lane phase, oh, and i remember tornado-ing or swapping or disarming magnus as soon as he pops ulti helps.
    And i loled at ~27 minute of clip, dat initiation, magnus RPed them all, that should not happened ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    And i loled at ~27 minute of clip, dat initiation, magnus RPed them all, that should not happened ever.
    Yeah I went and watched it now too. It looked like first time around VP had used all their abilities and killed TA and a support, 3 of them were low on health and Gyro was nowhere near dead when Magnus finally entered the fight, the second time they fail to initiate on Gyro but still for some weird reason leave their tower area to charge into mouz.

The one thing about Virtus.Pro that impresses me is how they actually manage to win games with airman/Illidan being their carry.
    Last edited by Hermanni; 2013-04-22 at 06:31 PM.

Deleted
    So telling people to buy wards and stop going off alone while they die 16 times in a game equals chat privileges revoked .. well thats the last time i ever talk in a dota 2 game

watched the game.. obviously magnus is okay.