DotA is already a far cry worse than LoL in terms of community.

Actually, a ton of f2p LoL players would make the community BETTER, in my opinion. From my experience playing in high tier games with the same DotA1 people I've known for ten years compared to when I queue with new players and get games full of LoL players, I have to say the DotA1 vets are much nastier and less fun to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuthe View Post
    I'm fairly sure Dota2 is going to be Pay to Play. Much like Heroes of Newerth was at the beginning.

WHICH I'M SO HAPPY ABOUT! OMGEH!
    I don't want Dota2 turning into LoL2.0.
    I liked LoL in the first year, but then all the 12 year olds starting playing it, and it's turned into the worst playerbase in existence of gaming, and I don't want that to happen to dota!
    How can you be so sure that it will be PtP?
    Since they already leaked screens of the shop and such i think it will be F2P just like LoL and HoN. But if there would be a game without a ingame shop to be F2P it is DotA 2 since Valve aren't as greedy as others...

I understand and I agree with what you say Lysah. I was just stating that it could work with heroes that doesnt use mana (even though it would take time to balance into the meta core). Having a common weakness (aka running out of mana) doesnt make the heroes balanced.

I do know that one of the core concepts that is being used that all heroes uses mana bars in DotA 2 (As I said I do agree with you on that). I was just commenting on what you said early about doubting that they could make a hero that doesnt use mana whom are balanced. From designing point it is possible, but it wont fit the all hero use mana concept. Which is one of the cores in this game.

Edit: Btw the concept of heat/overheat system is very similar to mana bar concepts. I mean very similar Oo
    Last edited by VXFadhel; 2012-04-15 at 11:01 AM.

Deleted
    Making Dota2 Pay to Play would be a very stupid idea since both of it's competitors are free to play.

I've been looking at DotA 2 videos from Purge, and I have to say, I'm very excited. It seems that a lot of LoL players make a lot of mistakes there, which is why I'm doing some research to not screw up as hard when I start.

Would be nice to actually get a beta key for it now to actually get familiar with the game, but I'm patient.

That said, does anyone know the estimated time of release for the game?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiftero View Post
    That said, does anyone know the estimated time of release for the game?
    By second international tournament it should be pretty ready for release. If they don't it release it with international "hype" I think they are gimping their potential start. I could imagine it launching the day after final or after the final game or something. So expect it around august.

You should be able to get a key without much effort before that though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DespicableME View Post
    By second international tournament it should be pretty ready for release. If they don't it release it with international "hype" I think they are gimping their potential start. I could imagine it launching the day after final or after the final game or something. So expect it around august.

You should be able to get a key without much effort before that though.
    Valve pretty much announced open beta will start before the tournament when they said everyone can watch it with Dota TV.

Stacking certain types of heroes is far more important in DOTA than it is in LOL imho.

A number of different combinations is viable in LoL (even at high-end play), whereas in DOTA stacking stuns (esp. aoe stuns), gives you a huge leg-up on the competition because of how overpowered stuns are in that game vis a vis LOL

oh god! beta is full with noobs this game is overstressing if you play with pugs. INB4 OMG I GOTTA PICK TEH MOST AWSOM KILLING MACHINE babies filling the game with 4 carry and one tank which is me...Top lane got raped, bot got raped. Ruined my 40 min! Sometimes I do "long" for a surrender tool like in LoL

I hope retail will be different and they will make more depth matchmaking system otherwise I'll stick with dota.. the level of noobness is un-measurable in beta right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Stacking certain types of heroes is far more important in DOTA than it is in LOL imho.

A number of different combinations is viable in LoL (even at high-end play), whereas in DOTA stacking stuns (esp. aoe stuns), gives you a huge leg-up on the competition because of how overpowered stuns are in that game vis a vis LOL
    actually most of the stuns in dota is AOE

lesh, lion, crixalis, sven, tide, lina, reigar(earth shaker), tiny, slardar, which doctor(aoe'ish), jakiro

you can't ban + pick all of these heroes at the same time. Even if you do, this list lacks carries(which you want one in team) so chances of teams getting aoe stun is equal. There is no way one team can pick less disable than the other team as long as the team does not pick disables intentionally.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2012-04-15 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post

Actually, a ton of f2p LoL players would make the community BETTER, in my opinion. From my experience playing in high tier games with the same DotA1 people I've known for ten years compared to when I queue with new players and get games full of LoL players, I have to say the DotA1 vets are much nastier and less fun to play with.
    While I respect your opinion, I must question your experience in Dota 2. I have over 300 games played on the beta at this point (I have played nearly 1500 games of LoL) and I am confident when I say that the community is the exact opposite of what you have said. There is FAR less trolling/intentional feeding/general bullshit in Dota 2 than there is in LoL.

I have ran into quite a few League players in the beta, a lot of these players(not all) complained about silly things such as "ks'ing" and they often were quick to flame teammates. I would have to say that at this point my level of play has increased and most people in my games come from HoN or the original Dota, and they are far more mannered and willing to work coherently as a team.

10+ Year Old Account

That is interesting for you to say that. I have had the exact opposite experience. I've found most of the Dota veterans to be pretty inviting. That's not to say the game is free of the occasional douche.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

Quote Originally Posted by Glocken View Post
    While I respect your opinion, I must question your experience in Dota 2. I have over 300 games played on the beta at this point (I have played nearly 1500 games of LoL) and I am confident when I say that the community is the exact opposite of what you have said. There is FAR less trolling/intentional feeding/general bullshit in Dota 2 than there is in LoL.
    Forgive me for this, but are you sure you aren't in the low ELO bracket that nicer players fall into?

(and before anyone starts the dumbest argument of their life about "ELO" in DotA, whether you want to call it ELO, MMR, or any other combination of three letters, it's the exact same thing)

Anyway, I wouldn't assert my own matchmaking status if I weren't repeatedly and consistently put against coL/EG/other tournament players and in the top live matches nearly every game. From what I'm to understand, the top live matches are based on the top matchmaking games currently happening, and being put against tournament class players every game regardless makes me confident that I'm in the top level bracket. The top level bracket is full of people who have played DotA1, for obvious reasons, and almost every game is full of assholes. So forgive me for saying the community is horrible, but the community is absolutely horrible. At least half of all games result in all chat trash talking as soon as one person makes a kill, and they generally devolve from there. I currently have like 800 people on my ignore list just because I don't want to see their name in the chat anymore. It's not uncommon for me to join games now with at least one person already ignored on both teams.

As for my experience, I'm at like 550 games in DotA2 now.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2012-04-16 at 05:14 AM.

Forgive me for this, but are you sure you aren't in the low ELO bracket that nicer players fall into? ...
    <snip>
    Hmm, it's weird that our experiences differ so much.

I can totally understand how you might think that I am in a lower skill bracket due to my experiences with players, but this is not the case. I have actually also played with a few tournament players in high skill matchmaking. Although I may not yet be at your level of playing in top rated games constantly, I am definitely not in the lower skill brackets.

Maybe the case is that at the VERY highest level games in matchmaking(taking your word that you participate in these games) players may flame or be assholes in general. From what I have seen, the rest of the community is great, especially when compared with that of LoL. That or you may just be overly sensitive to any slight joking in chat and so your viewpoint is exaggerated.

Forgive me for this, but are you sure you aren't in the low ELO bracket that nicer players fall into?
    I find it strange you say this when I que solo I find myself playing against very respectable and organized groups and when I que with my friend who is brand new I find the most despicable and nasty people around. I have never really played LoL so I cant speak for their community but I find people get more mannered as you move up in ELO, but of course there is bad apples at all levels.

and also when I search your name with the "low" skill level several of your games come up so maybe your not quite at the ELO you think you are, just saying
    Last edited by Freezymcgee; 2012-04-16 at 08:02 AM.

Deleted

Yeah, we have the nicest games together, don't we, Lys? ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Zefie View Post
    Yeah, we have the nicest games together, don't we, Lys? ^^
    The players we get are infinitely better than what I get when I solo queue.

When I team stack and end up playing against organized teams it's usually not as bad, but randos at our experience level think they're the team's all-star and nothing is ever their fault. Go 0-3 top? Team didn't do X enough to support you, the team's all-star.

Interestingly enough, most of them aren't even that good, though nothing really impresses me anymore in DotA.

@Freezy
    When you search my name? What?

Edit:
    Of course, organized teams are almost always better than random queue, but I'm mostly talking about solo queue here, since that's most of the community.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2012-04-16 at 08:19 AM.

Deleted
    The players we get are infinitely better than what I get when I solo queue.
    Remind me to never get good at DotA.

Quote Originally Posted by Zefie View Post
    Remind me to never get good at DotA.
    Okay with me.

A while back you were talking about your epic carry Lothars ES so I searched you to see it in the "Watch" tab, unfortunately I could not find it.