Ordinarily I'd call it an l2p issue but in this case I believe it really does just take away from the game. The only time I've ever seen someone trapped is when the enemy was intentionally running around an area with trapping specifically in mind, as in that video. For this reason, if they remove the ability to trap people it won't really change the actual game at all, it will just remove this form of griefing. If it were challenging or skillful to do it (like ward trapping with SS/etc) in any way it would be one thing, but any idiot can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUntsAhts View Post
    I really think they should change the fact that you can throw people on those cliffs. It's way too easy for some heroes to do it at the start of the game, and screw over a team early in the game.
    And too easy to counter. Do not approach to cliff when you see ds or rubick. Game shouldn't be changed/fixed for ultra-retard people. I hope they don't remove this cliff trick. It's fun!
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2012-08-21 at 04:13 PM.

I really don't think it qualifies as fun for most people. Laughs are had by 5 and the other 5 uninstall. Not really worth it when the game should be about fun for all 10.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the problem is that there are spots that you can't ever be if they have a Rubick, or you just get griefed. The range is really not that small. Trying to beat Rubick to a rune in mid? He throws you on a cliff after you grab it. Again, not too much of an issue mid-late when you have scrolls, but if its at level 1-3, its a bitch.

I'm not referring to that specific game, either. Of course pudge could have grabbed them off. The other thing is, is they did try to gun for him, and got griefed. I knew it wasn't allowed in WC3, and I'm surprised it still is in DotA2. Nobody finds it fun to be unable to chase Rubick/DS because they can sit next to a cliff and force you up there, automatically escaping. Hell, DS can do it then drop his ult up there, and you pretty much automatically die. Again, I don't really care if its a cliff that you can escape from, and they just threw you up a level so they could escape, but the pillars and ward spots are just dumb.

High Overlord Ultraviolet Harmonies's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Game shouldn't be changed/fixed for ultra-retard people.
    Sorry, being thrown up a cliff while trying to grab a rune makes you an "ultra-retard"? What the fuck? Are you serious?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was going to say, it literally makes it impossible to grab the rune if the Rubick is even paying attention to your positioning. Also, any time a team fight happens outside Roshan, theres a chance you get thrown up there. Played against a team that had Rubick and Tiny, and after Rubick threw one up there Tiny just threw the other at the teammate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    I really don't think it qualifies as fun for most people. Laughs are had by 5 and the other 5 uninstall. Not really worth it when the game should be about fun for all 10.
    This. I play a lot of Rubick and trapping people up there is amusing as hell at first but then you're like "man, that's kinda unfair..."

There are ways around it, you can contest the first rune even if Rubick is there, but if it's not in War3 Dota, I'm just gonna consider a bug and stop doing it.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    They should remove the ability for an opponent to throw you into these areas either altogether or at least on an early game timer to prevent abusing

Deleted
    Hey dota 2 people, I heard tobiwan is a well known guy in the dota community, here's real talk with him if you're interested
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELPnj...eature=g-all-u
    What real Talk is? basicly its JP McDaniel a long interview with an eSport personality
    Last edited by mmoc15645c0f5b; 2012-08-22 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultraviolet Harmonies View Post
    Sorry, being thrown up a cliff while trying to grab a rune makes you an "ultra-retard"? What the fuck? Are you serious?
    Yes. Position yourself carefully, then you won't have any problems. I find it fun even though I've never chosen ds or rubick in DotA 2 but those tricks are still fun. I'm not playing this game in competitive level so these little tricks do not bug me. I think base hook is DotA2 thingy, I don't remember it in org DotA. Either way, it's a fun mechanic and shouldn't be removed from game. These are my personal choices tho.

and as far as I know they won't be copying %100 of org DotA and they've started that with map. I think map is little smaller and slightly tweaked but I'm not sure. I also think that "COPY %100 CUS DIS IS POPULAR HERP DERP" is non sense and I'm pretty sure Valve knows it as well. Some of org DotA mechanics were there because of WC3 engine limitations, not icefrog's choices(I understand if they remove cliff thingy and I think they are testing the response of the community towards this bug). I would like to see new things in DotA2. New heroes(not 1 hero every two or so week pattern), new maps and even new mechanics.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2012-08-22 at 04:05 PM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    The problem is it removes all the fun if Rubick waits for his opponent in mid to grab the rune, and throws them up there. You need a flying courier to get any sort of scroll to you, which you won't have then. You can't go for the rune, because the position of the rune is close enough to be griefed, and lose out on levels and farm. When you finally get to the lane, you'll be level 1 while everyone is like 3-4. At least base hooking takes time, but I still find that stupid too. I'd love to see new heroes and new mechanics and such too, but not if they are so incredibly unfair. Again, its only 3-4 spots I think players shouldn't be able to be forced on, because it just creates too much of an advantage for no effort.

so is anyone going to buy team pennants ?
    http://www.dota2.com/store/?hidecaro...ppid=570#cat=0
    ill grab one for Na'Vi and maybe another one for EHOME/iG
    Last edited by Finear; 2012-08-22 at 10:28 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the item drop rate for me. I don't really "root" for any teams, it'd more be 'hey, i'll buy pendants for the matches i'm going to watch if the drop rates are decent enough'

but i'm also a person who hasn't bought a single item for dota2 yet and doesn't really plan on spending much money on the game
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account
    What's annoying me atm is when somebody on your team D/C's and doesn't come back.

The stats are still recorded so you have to try and win with a 4 man team and when you lose it marks you down as a loss. Why should we be punished for losing when we're outnumbered.

I remember dotaleague back in dota 1 wouldn't count the 4 man team as losing if they did because it at least acknowledged that you have an unfair disadvantage but it gave the 5 man team that won the points. A similar system would be much fairer than hopelessly trying to with with 1 less player.

It happens sometimes but more often that not that extra player is an extra stun or heavy nuke that just overwhelms you

10+ Year Old Account
    Like Demon said, depends on drop rate. Though I told myself I wouldn't buy anything, bought $10 for keys so far. Meh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saw an interesting idea on Reddit. Instead of being 24 hour blocks, low priority for reports/abandons would be per-game, and you would be required to play a full game, from beginning to completion. So instead of just doing something else for 24 hours, you have to play two or three or five or eight or however many full-length low priority games.

I still haven't seen a good answer towards doing something about grouped people chain reporting you just because they can, though.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Saw an interesting idea on Reddit. Instead of being 24 hour blocks, low priority for reports/abandons would be per-game, and you would be required to play a full game, from beginning to completion. So instead of just doing something else for 24 hours, you have to play two or three or five or eight or however many full-length low priority games.

I still haven't seen a good answer towards doing something about grouped people chain reporting you just because they can, though.
    Well Valve looks at all the reports, and games they take place in, and their chat logs. That's why being reported doesn't do anything unless you are actually breaking a rule or intentionally trolling a game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUntsAhts View Post
    Well Valve looks at all the reports, and games they take place in, and their chat logs. That's why being reported doesn't do anything unless you are actually breaking a rule or intentionally trolling a game.
    Besides automated low priority and stuff. But that's not a major deterrent; I lost my temper in a game this afternoon and turned into a raging dickbag, got reported for it, and earned low priority for a day. So what? It's nice outside, I went for a walk, now I'm here at work, I'll go home and sleep and by time I wake up, it's gone. It's not really much of a punishment when you can pretty much "evade" it like that.

My buddy and I were talking about Doomy and why he isn't used more often. We came up with that for a lot of what you use Doomy for (15-30 minute ganker, transitioning into a more support-ish role by 40 mins), you also tend to pick Night Stalker for.

Example: In the early game, NS tends to get ganker items. Vanguard for tower and creep wave diving, phase boots to skip through creeps, Urn, etc. His main role is to run in and blast people with Void (an extremely good nuke), silence them to prevent them from running, and using his superior night time movement speed to run them down and escape. As the game goes later and this becomes increasingly less reliable (Void is no longer such a large chunk of HP, people aren't laning so diving towers is much riskier, etc), you'll often see NS pick up items more to support his team than to increase his personal DPS, scepter (with a gem if there are enemy invis users) being a major choice for the free maphack it provides. NS is also usually laned solo for the farm and XP, and also often needs someone on his team to remain relatively close by to prevent him from getting harassed out of the lane or ganked.

Doomy is usually very similar. He's typically laned solo with someone nearby to help him if he needs it, and he usually spends a lot of time in the midgame (about 15-30 minutes) ganking, taking advantage of the Alpha Wolf's free Crystalys and the relative power of Doom. Once it gets into the late game and people get more HP, Doom and the free Crystalys are often not enough to guarantee quick, easy kills and we usually see Doom transition into a more supportive role; Devour basically guarantees the team will never want for wards (creep bounty plus the free 100 gold is almost 200 gold right there) or dusts, and also allows him to maintain modest gpm without stealing much in the way of farm from his team's carry (Devour's gold bonus is 133 gpm alone, not counting the creep's bounty itself), meaning he can fairly quickly afford supportive items like Assault Cuirass, Shiva's Guard, or a Heaven's Halberd.

Additionally, Doom will go from being used to get kills to being used to keep enemy heroes out of the fight - since it disables all items and nearly all passive abilities and ignores BKB, Doom can be used very effectively to dramatically reduce the enemy carry's presence in the fight (similar to how you'll often see NS use his silence on the carry instead of a support so the carry has to deal with the miss chance.)

Do you guys think that's an accurate assessment?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azalu View Post
    What's annoying me atm is when somebody on your team D/C's and doesn't come back.

The stats are still recorded so you have to try and win with a 4 man team and when you lose it marks you down as a loss. Why should we be punished for losing when we're outnumbered.
    If the stats are not recorded people will make 4 man teams with a 5th being a throw-away account (game is f2p) and if they lose they make the 5th abandon so they wont get a lose and voila, people with 100% win rate

As for staying and fighting 4vs5 i used to do that until i figured if i leave and lose the game after 10-15 minutes it should be way better then staying and losing it after 50-60

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galvayra View Post
    If the stats are not recorded people will make 4 man teams with a 5th being a throw-away account (game is f2p) and if they lose they make the 5th abandon so they wont get a lose and voila, people with 100% win rate

As for staying and fighting 4vs5 i used to do that until i figured if i leave and lose the game after 10-15 minutes it should be way better then staying and losing it after 50-60
    The only saving grace is that when the first person abandons everyone else can bail out without consequence. If wins and losses meant anything, I could understand not wanting to get pegged with a loss.