Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Acronis is probably the best out there, I love their universal boot disc for clients that want me to clone a disk to another computer using completely different hardware. But if you want free Macrium is a good way to go.
    I found a free version of Acronis that WD partnered with them to produce, so I'll be using that. At the weekend though, because when I get home from work the last thing I want to do is mess around with the insides of my PC (but I'm off until 7th January after Friday )

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I found a free version of Acronis that WD partnered with them to produce, so I'll be using that. At the weekend though, because when I get home from work the last thing I want to do is mess around with the insides of my PC (but I'm off until 7th January after Friday )
    I think I used that before.

My pair of AKG 7XX is finally shipped and should be coming Monday, WOOT!
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Nice that's good, and yeah I know that feeling all to well these days as I work with computers all day at work the last thing I want to do when I get home is more messing around with a computer. Although I did get to build a budget pentium g3258 build for a friend tonight and OC'd that thing to a stable 4.6GHz so far .

I've been doing wayyy too much side work lately though on average of 2-3 computers per day I'm fixing at home because of friends telling friends etc. and I know support two smaller businesses on my off hours, I'm getting to a point where I'm thinking of opening my own business and I'll work for myself for the most part but I'm not sure yet. I could put my younger brother to work as well and I'll do web design as well but who knows maybe that's what 2015 will have in store for me.

15+ Year Old Account
    So I decided to open up my old broken external hard drive to see if it worked, was hoping just the enclosure was just broken...NOPE. Thing is broken. But I still have been have a probelm with my sata cable. It is figurative the devil. I hook it up right and everything and close my case and....does not work. Takes me an hour to tape the damn thing and then with a miracle it worked with the case closed. Did not come unscathed either, the enclosure holding it cut my thumb, not anything bad. but still.

So what are some good quality sata cables? I am also looking for a big hard drive if anyone sees any good deals.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    It is figurative the devil.
    I like you.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I like you.
    :}

I got bad news, I am starting to get artifacts in games. I think it is my gpu. It is fairly new, have no idea what could be causing it. Going to try to reinstall drivers tomorrow, maybe that will fix it.

EDIT: GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! I figured out what caused my probelm, my gpu core voltage for some reason was all the way to the min. Have no idea how that happened, I did not touch it. Anyways, it is fixed now
    Last edited by apepi; 2014-12-19 at 08:24 PM.

So I decided to open up my old broken external hard drive to see if it worked, was hoping just the enclosure was just broken...NOPE. Thing is broken.
    Get the magnets out of it and do stuff with them!

So what are some good quality sata cables?
    I buy the cheapest ones with 90° and flat connector, with the locking mechanism.

If they are <300 USD, you are probably using too low-quality SATA cables.
    ^ Sarcasm.
    No, but any cable is fine. There are no brands to look out for, go with the length you need and not more than 10 cm longer "just in case". If possible.

I apparentely have a person making me not single. It is neat.
    Especially since I have introduced this person to Firefly, Terry Pratchett and Coupling. She loves them. Good kid.
    &nbsp;

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Coat hangars or bust!

- - - Updated - - -

So maybe KRK is starting to loose some ground.

More and more people are going for other brand studio monitors. Hmm, wonder why...

Also, this:

"A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

So the questions now is, with tax return in a couple of months do I buy a 5930k and a second 980 + a 3440x1440 IPS screen or the Asus 1440p 144Hz? I'm not sure which screen to get but I got an itch to get myself some new toys!

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    OH MY GOD TAX RETURNS AFTER SUCH AN AWESOME YEAR.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit dawg.

- - - Updated - - -

You just opened a massive can of worms I am not yet ready to even attempt to control. XD I don't even know what to do... but I have a feeling my tax return will be glorious'ish...
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand people with big tax returns. I mean c'mon, plan ahead guys? You're giving the state almost free loan there.

If they are <300 USD, you are probably using too low-quality SATA cables.
    ^ Sarcasm.
    No, but any cable is fine. There are no brands to look out for, go with the length you need and not more than 10 cm longer "just in case". If possible.

I apparentely have a person making me not single. It is neat.
    Especially since I have introduced this person to Firefly, Terry Pratchett and Coupling. She loves them. Good kid.
    Gratz

Hard-drive transplant went fairly smoothly. Turns out optical drives still have a use after all. Easily accessible SATA power and data cables and a safe place to put an HDD temporarily (placed a sheet of paper folded a couple of times under it to prevent anything shorting) when you pull the drive out.

Charity *shudder*
    I've never liked them and I probably never will, just alongside tipping.
    Also, your income taxes only reach 29%? Yet so many Americans hate taxes? Oo
    &nbsp;

Charity *shudder*
    I've never liked them and I probably never will, just alongside tipping.
    Also, your income taxes only reach 29%? Yet so many Americans hate taxes? Oo
    After federal income tax and "mandatory social security" (health insurance, pension contributions, unemployment insurance) go out I have paid approximately 24% out of my gross salary. And because I only started this job in September I fall under the taxable limit for the year, so I get the federal tax back, plus various things I can claim.

After federal income tax and "mandatory social security" (health insurance, pension contributions, unemployment insurance) go out I have paid approximately 24% out of my gross salary. And because I only started this job in September I fall under the taxable limit for the year, so I get the federal tax back, plus various things I can claim.
    I do not understand this response.
    &nbsp;

I do not understand this response.
    I live in a country with universal healthcare, a booming economy, heavily subsidized tertiary education and a massive social safety net (Germany), and pay less tax as a percentage of my gross income than people in the US who have non of that

Anywho. What are you guys putting on your Christmas lists that is tech related? I've put some case fans on mine.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2014-12-20 at 03:38 PM.

I live in a country with universal healthcare, a booming economy, heavily subsidized tertiary education and a massive social safety net (Germany), and pay less tax as a percentage of my gross income than people in the US who have non of that

Anywho. What are you guys putting on your Christmas lists that is tech related? I've put some case fans on mine.
    Ah, I see. Well, Germany have always (I would not call myself sentient the first four years of my life, before the wall fell) seemed like a country where they care about their inhabitants to me.
    I will likely pay much more than that, I think my starting salary will be 40% income tax when I'm done with my university education (free! government pays me!).

Tech things? Honestly, a waffle iron. I would also not mind a new monitor or upgrade my Define R3 to a Define R5.
    &nbsp;

Basically what evn said, I end up paying more mainly because I'm a single 23 year old so they take more out and with what I can claim as exemptions will help as well. This year I'm hoping for around $3000 back as last year I only worked half the year so my tax return wasn't to big. I look at it like a small splurge account I put into and at the end of the year I can go blow the money on some stuff I want.

My parents kept telling me that they wanted to get me something even though I insisted I buy my own stuff and don't need help but they kept asking so I told them get me a 500GB 850 Evo and I'll replace one of my 840 Evo's and put it in my latitude for work.

I'm soo torn on what monitor to get but I've got time too mull it over for now I wish there was a place I could test them out around me lol.
    Last edited by Iamanerd; 2014-12-20 at 04:27 PM.

evn you're in Canada now right? Personally I don't mind taxes as I know we all feed into systems to help society although I do think there needs some tweaks as to how much goes where etc. Honestly I'm in favor of a sales tax increase so people who try to evade taxes or are not paying them period they pay into it more with a higher sales tax as everyone needs to buy food/clothes etc.