Poll: Whats more important to you if you made a game?

10+ Year Old Account

If you were a game designer...

Ok so my ultimate dream is to become a video game designer. I want to go to school to learn how to do it and maybe get a spot being a storywriter. But anyway my question is if you were a fully employed video game designer what would you care more about? the money your game, that you made, makes? So in other words your game could make a lot of money but later on people say how bad the game is the story isn't good the gameplay isn't good and its just an all around bad game but it still made a lot of money due to hype or some other reason people bought it. Or the amount of people that enjoy and praise your game as being one of the best they've ever played and later on becomes one of the most memorable games ever made even though it didn't make that much money as other games.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

If i were a gamedesigner i would definitely focus on the joy player will have with your designed game. But there is a financial administrative side too, cause you need the money to create, manage, maintain and publish your game. So if I create a game i focus on gameplay. Is it fun, cool and worth for replay? Then that game will probably sell good enough to maintain the whole game.
    But fun is definitely the most important thing for me. If a game is not fun, then it won't be played.

10+ Year Old Account
    The game being an all around complete success and loved by many but doesnt make a whole lot of money
    This pretty much sums it all up.

I don't think it is an either or situation. There are great games that are loved by lots of people.

I would want a game that had TONS of options on how you wanted to play it, like Bethesda does on all the Elder Scrolls. For me a success would be hearing form one person how great of a time they had because they could play the game one way and from another person because they could play it almost the exact opposite way.

Deleted
    The game being an all around complete success and loved by many but doesnt make a whole lot of money will make you a popluar developer and make you more money with your next games.

I am a game designer, and I have to say that if you're heart isn't into making the best game possible then you should really find another industry to go into. You don't get into design because you want to make money, because the chance that you will get rich as a game designer is pretty much 0%.

Also most designers don't actually see any of the money from the game sales, they make salary from whatever company is paying them to make it and no more. Unless the sales go over a marked point, but they RARELY do.

Can't make money with a game that people hate. The community is the most important thing to take care of as a game designer, if you just take a shit on them for the sake of money, your game will die in 0,5 seconds flat.

Deleted
    8 liars on the poll so far...

10+ Year Old Account
    My family comes first. If im still making enough money to feed them and put a roof over their head, then*that's*enough. If they are starving, then i*don't*care about how crappy the game is. I will milk it for as much money as I can to feed my*family. If im fine, then id rather have option 2.

I wont be voting in this poll though, because its to black and white. Reminds me of Fable.

Deleted
    If you want money you need a good game. I choose both of the answers.