What do you look for in a Minecraft Server?

As the title says, what do you look for? I am thinking of making one and was wondering what fellow MC players like.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    SMP, you're allowed to build your own stuff.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

A lot of the best built worlds are really picky about who they let in. I want to be able to explore other people's epic creations for inspiration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno. I like servers that don't have a lot of people. I've tried playing on some of the bigger servers (like the Escapist's server) and I hated the fact that there wasn't really anywhere I could go where someone else's ridiculous Japanese castle or whatever wasn't visible on the horizon. Part of the fun of Minecraft is exploring and finding a spot that would be pretty awesome to landscape properly... but that doesn't happen on the larger servers.

But on the smaller servers, it doesn't often feel like other people are even playing there... so why even bother with all the bugs SMP has when you can have a clean, efficient play in SSP?

I guess I don't see the point of Minecraft multiplayer. I can share my creations via screenshots or videos, or I can send the map to people for them to explore/tweak my build to their heart's content. I wish Minecraft had combat worth mentioning, because there's some pretty awesome potential for PvP siege warfare if the combat system wasn't garbage. The idea of crafting a mangonel and then setting it up and using it to bust down someone's castle wall prior to an invasion is pretty awesome.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

I like tiny servers with very active members. Like 10-15 people with at least 2 or 3 others online most of the time. I don't mind if it's completely empty at some times during the day.

For the gamemode I prefer either survival or PvP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

i don't like to have the server full of complicated mods you need to spend 3 hours to understand how to protect a chest before you can start playing. Complete anarchy gets boring too. I like not too large servers, where you are able to protect small area's (yourself) so you can build things without risking to be griefed, but there must still be some danger of other players as well. I don't like when the whole world is protected like everywhere within 1000 blocks from spawn so you cant even cut down a tree . I like when there are some factions, as long as the community is open to letting new players in. Servers should have 20-25 people online at the same time, around active hours.