PS3 Bad Wifi...router less than 7 feet away, nothing in between.

So I'm trying to play Call of Duty, something recently relit the kindle of my fps spirit and so I'm playing call of duty and i'm noticing frequent drops to 1 bar of wifi signal strength. The ps3 is less than 7 feet away from my router and with nothing in between. My multitude of wireless devices have no problem connecting to my router from 30 yards OUTSIDE my house, it just seems like my ps3 has issues with wifi. Is this likely or is there some other weird issue that can be causing interferance only to my ps3? (Like my tiny cable box or big screen tv)

Anyone else experience similar issues with a ps3 or know of a way to fix this? My ps3 is laying down (mostly for aesthetics). Please and thank you!

Deleted
    I dont have a ps3, but i had a similar issue with my xbox 360, i was about 5 ft away from my router with nothing in between, and it would constantly drop to 1 or 2 bars, and playing online became difficult. After alot of messing around, i moved my xbox to the top shelf of my unit, and suddenly the bars went to full, i still to this day dont understand why, there was a perfect path for the signal to get to the xbox, now its just higher up. Have you tried moving your ps3 around?

Quote Originally Posted by Arazor View Post
    I dont have a ps3, but i had a similar issue with my xbox 360, i was about 5 ft away from my router with nothing in between, and it would constantly drop to 1 or 2 bars, and playing online became difficult. After alot of messing around, i moved my xbox to the top shelf of my unit, and suddenly the bars went to full, i still to this day dont understand why, there was a perfect path for the signal to get to the xbox, now its just higher up. Have you tried moving your ps3 around?
    I read that the ps3 receiver is on the right, the router is to the left so I stood it up. It didn't help. What did help was disconnecting my cordless phone from power. Even with that, at a range of about 7 feet, it still occasionally has dips to 2 bars (but better than the 1 it would get every 40ish minutes of playing). I need a real router because this modem with wireless from at&t is crap. I just don't feel like paying more than 60 bucks for one. I just want a simple wireless router than has stability above all else...I don't want something that once a week decides it wants to take a break and d/c. I also want it to have the ability to go through a few walls because we use wireless devices EVERYWHERE at home.

Thanks Arazor for your input. Maybe I can try moving some more stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    My parents have the ATT thing (assuming you have U-Verse), it seems to work better than the netgear router they had before and my PS3 Is the complete opposite end of the house between 3 walls when I am there. If you think its the box and its U-Verse, hit the big round button on the bottom.

http://imgur.com/vpd6J.

When I had connection problems it was because I had corrupt files on my disc, crazy I know. After running safemode and fixing the corrupt files issue, I didn't have network problems anymore.

http://community.us.playstation.com/...art=0&tstart=0

If it's only less then 7 feet away, why not just use a wired connection?

Quote Originally Posted by Cptmyname View Post
    If it's only less then 7 feet away, why not just use a wired connection?
    As I said earlier, aesthetics are important to me. Having a wire hanging from the top shelf of my desk down to below my tv looks awful. Especially when the wires I have are either gray or yellow, both colors clash with the colors of my room.

To pacox, I don't have u-verse speeds so i'm just using the 2wire they give everyone. I've reset it to no avail.

If you care about it, a wired connection (assuming you are using 5e) will be faster and more consistent than a wireless connection.

Sounds like you are having a hardware problem, either with the router or your card.

Is there something in the wall or on the other side of the wall that uses a large amount of electricity at random times?

15+ Year Old Account
    functionality over aesthetics

Just saying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Punks View Post
    functionality over aesthetics

Just saying.
    This doesn't apply in this case. 7' from wifi, with no physical barrier and it should work just fine. Functionality shouldn't be impeded. If it was a case of the machine being in a different room, and they were concerned about having bad signal through a wall, or a cable trailing along the floor, out the door and to the devices, then I could consider functionality vs aesthetics discussion.

Do you happen to have a cordless phone in the same room by any chance?

Try changing the wireless channel on which your router is broadcasting. Try 1, 6 or 11. Although if you can, just check what is being used in your area, these plenty of programs for that. If you got an Android phone, you could try WiEye app. (dunno if there's an Apple alternative of the same app)
    Because ten billion
    years' time is so fragile
    so ephemeral…
    it arouses such a
    bittersweet,
    almost heartbreaking fondness.

Deleted
    How fast is your internet connection?

www.speedtest.net

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Talorh View Post
    Try changing the wireless channel on which your router is broadcasting. Try 1, 6 or 11. Although if you can, just check what is being used in your area, these plenty of programs for that. If you got an Android phone, you could try WiEye app. (dunno if there's an Apple alternative of the same app)
    ^^

This right here is the most useful pieces of advice. You wouldn't believe how many connection problems this can fix when you have a wireless problem.