Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Pretty good read about sound effects

Underwater sounds are possible all because of a condom.

I've been watching a ton of videos and the detail and quality in a lot of the sound effects is something I've taken notice of. To me the sound can be just as important as the graphics, and if it's really done well then it just creates another level of immersion. One of my favorite sound effects so far is the trebuchet in this video, it just sounds so powerful and epic...it's perfect for war. I hear it and think, I better stay away from that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...EL5p7dY#t=1715

And the article - http://digital.copcomm.com/i/57245/47

15+ Year Old Account
    Wow, that is actually overkill. It sounds like a damn missile launcher, not a trebuchet. I know it is launching a flaming rock, but the rock isn't being propelled by the fire. It's just a level and fulcrum. I do agree sounds help make a game, but I feel that sound is very out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    Wow, that is actually overkill. It sounds like a damn missile launcher, not a trebuchet. I know it is launching a flaming rock, but the rock isn't being propelled by the fire. It's just a level and fulcrum. I do agree sounds help make a game, but I feel that sound is very out of place.
    Sounds like a battlefield.

I love it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    Sounds just fine to me, if you've watched Kingdom of Heaven they have alot of Trebs firing at the huge fight siege fight towards the end of the movie. Doesn't sound any different from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Supajayare View Post
    Sounds just fine to me, if you've watched Kingdom of Heaven they have alot of Trebs firing at the huge fight siege fight towards the end of the movie. Doesn't sound any different from that.
    Doesn't make it any less fake. In fact in reality you wouldn't ever hear a stone flung make any sound at all (except for when it hits). So that missile sound is very out of place.

If it was a cannon shooting I might actually accept it, but it's not...

Didn't really expect this to turn into an argument about this...

Talk more about the article!

Quote Originally Posted by Hellgaunt View Post
    Doesn't make it any less fake. In fact in reality you wouldn't ever hear a stone flung make any sound at all (except for when it hits). So that missile sound is very out of place.

If it was a cannon shooting I might actually accept it, but it's not...
    Seems fine to me.

The fact is, most MMOs are very dead when it comes to sound effects. GW2, even if it's overly dramatic, isn't. Just listen to the sounds of the rifles or pistols. It's more alive than any MMO I've played.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-03-10 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post

Sorry.

The article is great. Good find

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post

Well, we are here to discuss? It's a forum afterall.

And I agree to the trebuchet sound effect is out of place, it sounds more like a missile, might be a placeholder sound though :P

10+ Year Old Account
    *Sigh*

People will really complain or be a critic about ANYTHING these days, regardless of how small the matter is. Its either too much or too little.

So what is it you people wanna do about this particular sound effect? Anet devs build a real Trebuchet, put a flaming rock on it, shoot it and record the SE? Reason I say this is because:

I apologize for sounding like a smartass, but nit-picky people is honestly one of my pet peeves irl.
    Last edited by Razeo; 2012-03-10 at 11:42 PM.

I went to the part where the vid actually had underwater sounds.

http://youtu.be/cHMzEL5p7dY?t=10m34s

My head exploded. That's a bit excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post

This I can agree with. The constant noise is a bit much, but if I can turn down the volume on just the underwater effects then I won't mind it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post

It sounds like the audio was amplified so we could hear stuff like crickets chirping, but it was overdone and screwed the quality of louder noises like guns/explosions. Skip to 28:20 and you can clearly hear sound effects like footsteps/insects/etc, then around 28:36 when the trebuchet fires the explosion sounds shaky.

I'm one of those players play with the sound Off and the TV On =(

good link thanks! I love some good sound and music in a game

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Supajayare View Post
    *Sigh*

People will really complain or be a critic about ANYTHING these days, regardless of how small the matter is. Its either too much or too little.

So what is it you people wanna do about this particular sound effect? Anet devs build a real Trebuchet, put a flaming rock on it, shoot it and record the SE? Reason I say this is because:

-snip-

I apologize for sounding like a smartass, but nit-picky people is honestly one of my pet peeves irl.
    I agree 100%. No matter what is done, people WILL complain about it.

My response to the "noises are to loud," I'm sure there will be a slider in the audio options in game so you can manually turn them down. Anet doesn't need to do anything.

Also, that vid makes me happy in my pants to see they went to those lengths to create sound effects.
    Last edited by theredviola; 2012-03-11 at 02:52 AM.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Sound guys put a lot of work in. Now i feel guilty that i have the music in FFXIV turned all the way off so i can watch yogscast and OMFGcata while playing lol.

Judging from half the of loud sounds in this game, I will be probably putting my SFX volume down to 10%

I actually play WoW with no sounds and after hearing in game fights in guild wars 2 im going to play it without sound as well. The only time i turn my sound on in WoW is for cut scenes and PvP where i need to hear what is going on around me like rogues getting detected in stealth.

10+ Year Old Account
    The footsteps are one thing I would tone down too.
    They sound good, it's just the volume of the effect is too high.