Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Force Leap is way cooler than Heroic Leap. I have a sentinel now and it's kind of similar to fury warrior maybe from TBC but with 10 additional keybind. You have focus spenders and generators and your rotation is built around longer cooldowns 9-15 seconds instead of every 3-6 seconds.

The best thing about playing Jedi Knight is that you don't have to contend with any frost mages or sub rogues.
    Reddfoxx the Warrior | @ReddfoxxMX | SWTOR Sentinel Reddfoxx, Marauder Reddfox @ The Harbinger Server

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want something very similar for mechanics and mobility then yes a guardian or jugg would be the way to go. Having defensive jumps with offensive leaps paired with taunts/aoe slows and disorients will give you some of the same tools. Leveling wise I have done both tank build and dps build on separate characters. Tanking build for leveling will make you have next to no downtime as you rarely take much damage and as Sith you get a healer early on. As a Jedi you don't get the healer companion till much later and provides a bit more of a challenge if you are leveling as a dps. However, with that said I leveled as focus from 10-50 on my Guardian, and having the ability to obliterate whole groups of normal/strongs in one force sweep makes leveling much quicker. Of course vigilance has it's merits as well. The main thing to consider when leveling or playing your character is this, what do you want to do and just imagine the character you want to be. The subconscious light to heavy RP you make for your character really helps the leveling experience to be more enjoyable.

Dragonslayer Koyori proud member of P.A.R.T.Y My Stream

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Guardians/Juggernauts are the closest thing to a WoW Warrior you'll get in SWTOR.

And to be fair ~80% of their abilities are copied/based on Warrior abilities. However the class lacks the depth and self-sufficiency of WoW Warriors. So don't expect to be tearing things up. Due to the nature of the class, you'll also die a lot more than any other class.
    Careful there, your total lack of experience is showing. A well played juggernaut/guardian tank(or tank of any kind, really) can completely dominate a warzone.

Also as other people have pointed out, WoW does not own the warrior archetype, nor is it remotely close to the first game to develop it. Abilities like sunder armor or charge have been around for much longer than the Warcraft universe.

Deleted
    I haven't played a warrior at cap, but, to me, the Knight (Sentinel) is extremely relatable to feral DPS in WoW (bleeds, armour debuffs etc). Except that they are squishy as hell. >=/

The story is good enough to put up with the obscene amount of dying I seem to fall victim to while levelling. Kira is da bomb! =B

Deleted
    You use rage as a resource.
    You can tank or dps.
    You get last stand, shield wall, block, intervene, charge, sunder armor, thunderclap, heroic throw, execute in their almost exact form.
    That's off the top of my head. It's pretty much like a warrior.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tjanson View Post
    Also as other people have pointed out, WoW does not own the warrior archetype, nor is it remotely close to the first game to develop it. Abilities like sunder armor or charge have been around for much longer than the Warcraft universe.
    And a completely mute point since the OPs specified he "wants to play the equivelant of wows warrior class in star wars."

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beldorin View Post
    (If you wanted to roll a healer/tank class, the Trooper can spec into both)
    A bit of misinformation here, you cannot get both tanking and healing in the same Advanced Class with the Troopers/Bounty Hunters. Vanguards/Powertechs can tank or dps, while the Commandos/Mercenaries can heal or dps. No AC in SWTOR can tank and heal, all AC's can dps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guardians/Juggernauts are the closest thing to a WoW Warrior you'll get in SWTOR.

And to be fair ~80% of their abilities are copied/based on Warrior abilities. However the class lacks the depth and self-sufficiency of WoW Warriors. So don't expect to be tearing things up. Due to the nature of the class, you'll also die a lot more than any other class.
    That is completely untrue, a well played Juggernaut can be very successful both in PvP and PvE.

Please do not spread misinformation, as tjanson said - your lack of experience is showing.

---------- Post added 2012-03-12 at 09:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    A bit of misinformation here, you cannot get both tanking and healing in the same Advanced Class with the Troopers/Bounty Hunters. Vanguards/Powertechs can tank or dps, while the Commandos/Mercenaries can heal or dps. No AC in SWTOR can tank and heal, all AC's can dps.
    This is 100% correct.

---------- Post added 2012-03-12 at 09:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post
    I haven't played a warrior at cap, but, to me, the Knight (Sentinel) is extremely relatable to feral DPS in WoW (bleeds, armour debuffs etc). Except that they are squishy as hell. >=/

The story is good enough to put up with the obscene amount of dying I seem to fall victim to while levelling. Kira is da bomb! =B
    Marauders/Sentinels are MUCH less squishy at higher levels and better gear. If you know how to play them, that is.

They are brutally efficient duelists and can dominate lots of ACs 1v1.

Juyo form spec (different name for Rep and Emp) relies on short-term bleeds, self-healing and a high-burst 41-point talent.

Ataru form spec has a lot of autoprocs and almost no bleeds and almost no self-healing, but is slightly more bursty.

As to dying while leveling:

Switch to Juyo form spec to get your self-healing, and don't be afraid to pop cooldowns. Over my 42 levels playing as a Sentinel I barely ever died.
    Last edited by zealous; 2012-03-12 at 08:56 PM.
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zealous View Post
    That is completely untrue, a well played Juggernaut can be very successful both in PvP and PvE.

Please do not spread misinformation, as tjanson said - your lack of experience is showing.

My lack of what?

I doubt you'll find anyone on these forums with more /played on their Guardian than me. Full BM gear...constantly topping the charts yadda yadda yadda /e-peen.

My "dying a lot" comment was referring more the leveling experience than to PvP, although it still holds true there. Guardians will die a lot more than other classes during their leveling experience, just like WoW Warriors die a lot more during their. You're always in the middle of the action and have very few tools to turn a bad situation. An unfortunate respawn, adding a group of mobs etc. all can result in death.

Same logic applies in PvP. Since you're always in the thick of it and probably pissing off a lot of people while you're at it, you'll also be the No. 1 focus target. Now if you bring a personal healer, that's fine and you should steamroll everyone. But without a healer Guardians don't have much base-line survivability.

In fact, Sentinels have a lot better survivability in PvP.

PS: I recall data-mining that showed Warriors died a lot more frequently in WoW BGs than any other class. Same logic applies to Guardians.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do people say there are 8 classes when there are only really 4? Last I heard the 8 classes all have a twin and are 99% similar to their counterpart. I haven't played Swtor, but if i got something wrong please tell me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Why do people say there are 8 classes when there are only really 4? Last I heard the 8 classes all have a twin and are 99% similar to their counterpart. I haven't played Swtor, but if i got something wrong please tell me.
    There are 8... You have 4 classes and each class has 2 advanced classes, which are basicly completely different classes, which results in 8 classes. And there are mirrors for all the classes on the other faction, but counting those as individual classes, which we don't, would make it 16 classes.

OT: JG or SJ are the classes most close to wow warriors (prot and arms). If you enjoyed playing a prot or arms warrior in wow, you'll enjoy playing these classes. While they are a bit harder to play than most classes, they can be awesome if played well.

10+ Year Old Account
    *Huge quote snip*
    This is pretty much true, I have played my Guardian to BM. During the leveling process there were plenty of times where I had to pull a few tricks to live. However, if you do the whole completionist thing you will out level quests and make your quality of life way better. In pvp I know I die more then my team mates unless they are under geared just running into clusters of people. The guardian jumps in does the dirty work and normally gets focused.

On the side note yes a healer does allow me to clear 4-5 people as Focus build. On top of the fact I am a guardian I can keep a healer protected with guard leap and call to to keep them alive with 4-5 people beating on them :P

I do wish to lament on sents/marauders, they have quite a few get out of jail cards. Quite often if my stasis is down and I don't predict their vanish movement they can get away.

Dragonslayer Koyori proud member of P.A.R.T.Y My Stream

Deleted
    However the class lacks the depth and self-sufficiency of WoW Warriors. So don't expect to be tearing things up. Due to the nature of the class, you'll also die a lot more than any other class.
    Since the OP didn't mention anything about PvP, nor did you (the person I'm quoting) in your post, I'm going to reply from a PvE standpoint. Also, Guardian was my first level 50, and it's the character I've played most. Being my first playthrough I did all kinds of things throughout the entire leveling process, including soloing equal level heroic 2s whenever I could.

First of all, you can't die in SW:TOR unless you're soloing heroic 2s. That, or you run blindly into packs you shouldn't be running into, in which case it's not the game's or classes' fault, but yours.

Secondly, its a breeze to get to Doc on Republic side as a tank (Defense) Guardian. After that, Doc will keep you up outside of heroics pretty much no matter what you do. With Doc, it's also possible to start easily soloing heroics 2s (and some 4s) all the way to level 50. If you've got at least prototype 22 mods at 50, you can solo both of the heroic 2 dailies, and once you get artifact 22/23 mods, they'll both be a walk in the park. I'm pretty sure it's a similar deal on the Imperial side on a Juggernaut.

Sure, Guardian/Juggernaut might not be the best tank out there, but it has plenty of depth and self-sufficiency. You do realize, that at no point should you be alone? You will at the very least always have your healing companion with you, who brings you that "self-sufficiency" you're talking about. Depth isn't an issue, as you've got a plethora of WoW warrior's abilities to use. As for tearing things apart, you can pull two packs of three and AoE them down while your healing companion keeps you up.

What comes to dying "a lot more", dying "a lot", or even dying at all, it's impossible to die in SW:TOR in solo situations outside heroics if you're doing everything right. If you die to normal-strong packs, then you're playing the game wrong. If you die while alone in heroics, then you've only got yourself to blame, seeing as though you're not supposed to be alone in heroics.

The only time from 1 to 50 when I had any difficulty doing any quest or killing anything I was supposed to be able to kill alone, was when I attempted the Act 1 boss at level 28. Wasn't going to happen, seeing as though he was level 33, and +5's are a bit of a bitch to kill, especially without a healing companion. A couple levels though and it became a non-issue.

And finally, if all this talk about dying, not having depth or self-sufficiency, and not tearing things apart was based solely on warzones, then I apologize. I wasn't talking about warzones, at all. However, I have been told Guardian/Juggernaut is pretty awesome on warzones too, at least in some spec. I could be mistaken.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2012-03-13 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CrunkJuice5 View Post
    so pretty much,if im level 24 and almost bottom on the scoreboard thing in warzones thats not really gonna change much with better gear/higher level?

i figured it was my level/gear that was the reason why and not because of juggernaughts being that way.eather way,there pretty fun currently
    its no problem to top warzones score boards as jugger, just dont forget even if your dps specced you can still taunt to help your team (and pvp as tank in this game is fun anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Jedi Knight Guardian or Sith Warrior Juggernaut(the specs are mirrors) are indeed about as close as you'll get to a WoW warrior. Knight/Juggernauts have 2 DPS trees and a tank tree, and there's no "hybrid tax" in TOR(also no damage meters, so no way of telling exactly which specs are top DPS) so no, as a warrior you'll be accepted as a DPS as well as a tank.
    Lack of DPS meters is probably more of a problem for Juggs, as most people think of them as tanks and assume that their DPS is bad when there is no real way to tell.

There's a lot of prejudice against Juggernaut DPS, my Jugg mate kept saying that most groups would refuse him as DPS.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Jedi Sentinel here.

The class plays pretty much exactly like a Fury Warrior, with a slightly expanded ability set. Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior are the closest analog(s) to any WoW class, in my opinion. Roll one if you want an easy transition.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

Quote Originally Posted by Kreeshak View Post
    I am downloading the client to trial swtor for 7 days.

And I want to play the equivelant of wows warrior class in star wars.

After a little research Jedi Knight was the closest thing I could find. Is that true or false?

Also while I am not bothered tanking, I would like my class to be versalitle. Tank whenever I feel like it or dps at other times. Does Guardian fit the description? Will they look at me only for tanking? Will being a hybrid penalize me in any way to my tank or dps capabilities?

Finally Is the any resources online, suggesting a levelling talent build for Jedi Knights Guardians?

It seems to me the resources for star wars are extremely limited, while wow has several theorycrafting sites and support.
    Very, very similar. Jedi Knight (Guardian), and Sith Warrior (Juggenaut) use 1 weapon and shield/offhand focus, and are able to tank and dps. Jedi Knight (Sentinel) and Sith Warrior (Marauder) dual wield 2 weapons, and are able to dps.

Tanking in SWTOR is similar to WoW, with one major exception. In WoW, if the tank is spec'd right and is using the correct abilities, his threat will always be higher than the DPS. In SWTOR, this is not true, and you will have to taunt when the DPS draws agro. They have not said anything officially, but many players feel that this is on purpose (designed into the game).