Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Calling a game "one of your favorite" and then admitting to botting your way through most of it is definitely the wrong way to prove a point -_-
    I managed to scrape my way to lvl 107 combat (99 range 95 def, range tank - I killed pures for a living ) after doing it completely manually, arrow by arrow. It was fun since I often levelled with friends and the training paid off in clan wars or solo PvP, it would take forever for people (of similar level) to kill me haha.

edit: Great, what have they done now? I can log into the web account fine but all my character stats are showing blank on hi-scores.
    I said, very clearly, I played legit up until 120. That was 99 strength and attack, woodcutting, fletching, and hunter. The other 99's I got were post bot era. I botted maaaaany characters with 99 skills just to play a different kind of pure with new stats. Had a Summoning pure with 75 defense and 60 odd summoning. That's like playing a troll character in league of legends. The sheer amount of WTFWASTHAT moments in pvp worlds was sooo humorous. My favorite game ever, botting the pures for money was all I did, I leveled everything else by hand. I got 99 hunting once legit, I love the skill, but getting 3-4 more 99 hunting alts? No thanks.

Jagex brought that upon themselves. I never touched a bot until they removed trading and PvP. After that, the game was ruined for me, so I made characters and sold them and what not.

Edit: After actually reading the rest of the post(sorry, nerdrage) I, too had a 99 ranged tank. Although mine was mostly farmer at aviansies, I still appreciate that. I leveled it by hand(If you call chinning my way to 99 ranged by hand) and had lots of fun owning with my ranged tank.
    Last edited by Kolossal; 2012-03-15 at 08:42 AM.

Deleted
    The angry coffee cup is angry.

In Runescape, due to the long grind required to get high level skills, there is a definite difference between 'hardcore' and 'casual' players. I know that 'casual' players typically don't like games that so heavily reward large time investments, but there are many 'hardcore' players who enjoy experiencing the return they get from that investment. I only played for about half a year around 8 years ago, but I liked the fact that a significant amount of effort was required to be able to create some of the high end items. Since not everyone was willing to put in that effort, those who did were somewhat rare and could indeed be considered somewhat special, not to mention able to acquire large amounts of gold.

But even then, the grind in Runescape is particularly repetitive, which lead to many resorting to bots to play the game for them, and even I could not justify spending so much time on such a repetitive task, despite the rewards. I know that the tolerance for any sort of grind is quickly diminishing in our current world of instant gratification, but I wonder if there will ever again be a crafting and economic system as deep as Runescape's, where there is nearly always a higher tier of items you can strive to create, without relying on random recipe drops, and gold is truly worth something; because that's the side of Runescape that I liked. But can such a system be made without a repetitive grind, that most people would rather have a bot perform? I hear EVE has an extremely deep economy, but I don't know how it's fueled.
    Last edited by Dacomp89; 2012-03-15 at 05:41 PM.