Deleted

skills for cash?

We can today see that you get an elite skill if you preorder the game, or well.. prepurchase CE and Dig CE.
    I noticed they had skills for cash in GW1 and is this the first showoff that it will be same in GW2?
    Also, elite skill like this wont work in competitive pvp right? Anyone know anything about that?
    Since they said many times that people will start pvp with same lvl and same skills as everyone else, this and future cash shop skills either will be given for free once you join in pvp or they wont be allowed there at all?
    What do you think? And what do you think the future will bring?

We'll have to wait and see how that elite skill actually is. At first glance it just seems like a reskin of another elite skill. Also, you can't use an elite till level 30 anyway. By that time you'll have enough skill points to buy a useful elite.

I'll take their word for now that nothing in the cash shop will provide a competitive advantage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    We'll have to wait and see how that elite skill actually is. At first glance it just seems like a reskin of another elite skill. Also, you can't use an elite till level 30 anyway. By that time you'll have enough skill points to buy a useful elite.

I'll take their word for now that nothing in the cash shop will provide a competitive advantage.
    I know they say it wont be a competitive advantage, but they also said it will be similar to GW1 shop O_O
    Well, perhaps you can get another elite skill at lvl 30, but if it's not a re-skin as you say... it will be something others probably can't obtain and it gives an advantage. Also, in competitive pvp you instant get max lvl and are suppose to get all skills, it would be interesting how they handle this one when it comes to that.

Afaik they do not have "skills for cash" in GW1. They have skill unlocks for cash. Everyone can get same skills, but if you don't buy the unlocks, you have to grind the skill unlocks.

I see no issue at all for structured pvp. You get access to all of your skills for your profession. And who is going to really choose what essentially is a hounds of balthazar skill over an elite skill that makes their build for their profession make sense.

But again, we'll have to wait until we get into the game before making any kind of informed opinion on it.

If my memory is correct you can't even use racial elites in structured pvp, so I doubt a collectors edition ability not everybody has access to would be useable.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    On top of the fact that Anet said that they won't be selling "power," they would not have spent so much time working on balance to just toss it out the window with CE stuff.

Don't panic, they won't sell skills or power, and that elite skill is going to be garbage compared to the "real" elite skills which everyone gets.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Honestly I'm working on the assumption that it's a pretty shit elite skill, like the other one that summoned dogs
    Maybe it'll fill a slot until you buy a real one :V

Yeah, remember age of conan had a mount in the CE, it was just so bad that you could walk pass it, i mean... it went faster to walk than use the damn shitty mount.

Quote Originally Posted by nagina View Post
    Yeah, remember age of conan had a mount in the CE, it was just so bad that you could walk pass it, i mean... it went faster to walk than use the damn shitty mount.
    I also remember in Age of Conan knocking people off the mountains with my horse as they walked by. Funniest shit I have ever done in a MMO.

Eh, I don't think the elite will be any good, but I do think offering this was the wrong move on their part, this was one of the more obvious things people were going to complain about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    We can today see that you get an elite skill if you preorder the game, or well.. prepurchase CE and Dig CE.
    I noticed they had skills for cash in GW1 and is this the first showoff that it will be same in GW2?
    Also, elite skill like this wont work in competitive pvp right? Anyone know anything about that?
    Since they said many times that people will start pvp with same lvl and same skills as everyone else, this and future cash shop skills either will be given for free once you join in pvp or they wont be allowed there at all?
    What do you think? And what do you think the future will bring?
    I Am more concerned about the temporary item, the banker that lasts 5 days.
    As for the preorder goodies, in swtor they eventually are giving them to everyone, who knows what arena net will do.

But i would not care if the pre order elite skill was in pvp or not.

Deleted
    In GW1 skills got a little out of hand and there were over a 1000 skills so they sold the skill packs for PvP character/heroes only. It wasn't a big deal.
    I can't see this happening in GW2 in any way tbh. Weapon skills are earned very quickly by hitting opponents, and utility skills are earned by skill points which are earned skill point challenges (of which Arenanet is very proud of). So I doubt them selling skills in the GW2 CS.
    The CE elite skill will probably be something to show off. It's a summon skill and will probably be very weak (like racials) with perhaps a long duration for the looks. It shouldn't be a problem in PvE since you can't use elite skills till level 30 (and then buy a useful elite skill) and it will banned from structured PvP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    In GW1 skills got a little out of hand and there were over a 1000 skills so they sold the skill packs for PvP character/heroes only. It wasn't a big deal.
    I can't see this happening in GW2 in any way tbh. Weapon skills are earned very quickly by hitting opponents, and utility skills are earned by skill points which are earned skill point challenges (of which Arenanet is very proud of). So I doubt them selling skills in the GW2 CS.
    The CE elite skill will probably be something to show off. It's a summon skill and will probably be very weak (like racials) with perhaps a long duration for the looks. It shouldn't be a problem in PvE since you can't use elite skills till level 30 (and then buy a useful elite skill) and it will banned from structured PvP.
    There is no reason or proof it would be banned in pvp thats not something we will know till the game is out, im sure its fair in pvp.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    There is no reason or proof it would be banned in pvp thats not something we will know till the game is out, im sure its fair in pvp.
    I'm pretty sure racial skills are banned in structured/competitive PvP (sorry if I wasn't clear on competitive or WvW).
    To me, that leads to the conclusion that a CE elite skill will be as well.

http://guildwars2pc.com/articles/racial-abilities/

10+ Year Old Account
    I imagine the elite skill is mostly just for showing off. Sort of like a title. I do not think it will be game breaking or provide a significant advantage. Every time Anet release any info- you have ppl freaking out about something- accusing them of lying or selling out. They are not going to break their game balance or philosophy over something in the prepurchase.

Deleted
    itl probably be just some flashy not so usefull elite skill like the race elites are (example: charzooka)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    I know they say it wont be a competitive advantage, but they also said it will be similar to GW1 shop O_O
    Well, perhaps you can get another elite skill at lvl 30, but if it's not a re-skin as you say... it will be something others probably can't obtain and it gives an advantage. Also, in competitive pvp you instant get max lvl and are suppose to get all skills, it would be interesting how they handle this one when it comes to that.
    No, you don't even unlock your Elite Skill skill slot until level 30. And the purchasable elite skill is equivalent to a racial which are weaker than elite skills designed for your class.

The way the Skill Unlock packs in Guild Wars 1 worked was that you'd pay to unlock the skills for your PvP characters and Heroes so that you would have equal footing in the PvP environment, but on your PvE character you had to earn the skills in game by having enough skill points an purchasing from trainers/ capping from boss-type mobs/ Skill Tomes. None of that PvE stuff was buyable with real money from Arena Net.

People are taking issue with stuff they don't understand, and that makes me sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter