Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Help with learning German!

Hey guys

I've recently started to study German, i really wish some feedback on some of the mistakes i normally do, i wrote about 148 words = ~16 sentences. So i wondered if any of you were kind enough to read what i wrote down, and correct me anywhere where i might fail / tell me what i should look after in future

Wenn Sie auf ein Sabbatjahr muss, ich finde da man nicht einfach nur entspann. Man muss jedoch zu reisen oder arbeiten. Wenn ich auf einem Sabbatjahre wäre, würde ich reisen.
    Ich möchte gern auf Asien zu reisen wenn ich ein Sabbatjahr nahm. Ich habe einem Freund nach Indien jetzt. Er liebt Indien sehr viel, aber er sagst dass es ist sehr Tier, und sehr Spaß.
    Ich denke scheint es ist ein sehr große herausfordre, aber ich finde es ein gute Idee zu reisen im eines Sabbatjahre. Auf einem Sabbatjahre Man könnte auch arbeiten, wenn Sie etwas in einem Sabbatjahr nicht tun, wird es langweilig. Ich kenne einige, die nichts in einem Jahre Becken etwas.
    Ich denke da wenn er nicht etwas tunt, ist die Zeit sehr langweilig und deprimierend.
    Ich will nicht ein Sabbatjahre nehmen, ich finde es ein sehr schlecht Idee und sehr Zeitverschwendung

Sincerely, the Poor deutsch speaking !

Err that somehow sounds like the worst google translation of a Korean/chinese text I ever read :P

Deleted
    Hey Snixs,
    I guess I'll correct it and try to tell you where you did wrong ^^

Wenn sie auf ein Sabbatjahr muss, sollte sie nicht einfach nur entspannen. Sie sollte währenddessen arbeiten oder reisen. Wenn ich auf einem Sabbatjahr wäre, würde ich reisen.
    Ich möchte gern nach Asien reisen, wenn ich ein Sabbatjahr nehme. Ich habe jetzt einen Freund in Indien. Er liebt Indien sehr viel, aber er sagst dass es ist sehr Tier, und sehr Spaß.
    Ich denke es ist eine große Herausforderung, aber ich finde es keine gute Idee, in einem Sabbatjahr zu reisen. In einem Sabbatjahr könnte man auch arbeiten, denn wenn man in einem Sabbatjahr nichts tut, wird es langweilig. Ich kenne einige, die nichts in einem Jahre Becken etwas.
    Ich denke,wenn sie nichts tut, ist die Zeit sehr langweilig und deprimierend.
    Ich will kein Sabbatjahr nehmen,denn ich finde es eine sehr schlechte Idee und eine große Zeitverschwendung.

I don't understand where you got "Sabbatjahr" from but i guess the correct word would be "Urlaubsjahr" or "freies Jahr".
    The two sentences i marked red have words in them that don't make sense at all in this context, for example "Becken" in the 2nd one.
    The whole sentences don't make sense to me so I guess you have to tell me what you tried to say there ^^
    I think you should try studying it the usual way, learning words first, going to small sentences and later writing whole texts.
    Last edited by mmoc4a2e5c0f3f; 2012-03-14 at 06:30 PM.

I don't understand where you got "Sabbatjahr" from but i guess the correct word would be "Urlaubsjahr" or "freies Jahr".
    The two sentences i marked red have words in them that don't make sense at all in this context, for example "Becken" in the 2nd one.
    The whole sentences don't make sense to me so I guess you have to tell me what you tried to say there ^^
    I think you should try studying it the usual way, learning words first, going to small sentences and later writing whole texts.
    Sabbatjahr is from the text i reckon, but i'll look into it.

Reading what you said Vampirion, i guess in the first red sentence you mean the word "Tier" which basically mean "animal" as far as i'm concerned.

Basically in" Er liebt Indien sehr viel, aber er sagst dass es ist sehr Tier, und sehr Spaß". i wanted to mention things such as:
    "He likes India a lot, he says that it's a poor country, but fun to live with a new culture".
    "Ich kenne einige, die nichts in einem Jahre Becken etwas."
    "I know a few, that doesnt do anything during a "Sabbatjahre"".

What about Einems, einem, and the endings on specific words, you good enough at German to compute those kind of things mate ?

Cheers for the help so far mate !

Deleted
    Never heard "Sabbatjahr" before, only know Sabbat from Jewish Culture ^^
    Yes Tier = animal but if you want to say in german what you wrote down in english i guess it's would be something like:
    "Er liebt Indien sehr (viel) und sagt, dass es zwar ein armes Land ist, aber es Spaß macht eine neue Kultur kennenzulernen."
    The other sentence would be something like: "Ich kenne einige (Menschen), die in einem Sabbatjahr gar nichts tun."

Well the endings of specific words are a bit tricky in german, e.g. it's different for genders unlike english (a woman = "eine Frau" and a man = "ein Mann"), it's basically the same with "eine","einer" and "einem".

I absolutely hate German faller (i think you call them) with a passion.

Sabbatjahre is probably linked to sabbatical. Are you from the US OP?

Sabbatjahr is the correct equivalent to sabbatical which is what the op is referring to I assume.
    aber ich finde es keine gute Idee, and denn ich finde es eine sehr schlechte Idee are both poorly formulated and I certainly wouldn't recommend getting used to it.
    ich finde, es ist keine gute Idee and denn ich halte es für eine schlechte Idee are a lot better suited for a written text.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    What ? ^^
    Last edited by cFortyfive; 2012-03-14 at 07:37 PM.

Sabbatjahre is probably linked to sabbatical. Are you from the US OP?
    I'm from Denmark, some people cant tell the difference from Danish and German but oh boy it is so fucked up a language, what a challenge !

---------- Post added 2012-03-14 at 08:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    Sabbatjahr is the correct equivalent to sabbatical which is what the op is referring to I assume.
    aber ich finde es keine gute Idee, and denn ich finde es eine sehr schlechte Idee are both poorly formulated and I certainly wouldn't recommend getting used to it.
    ich finde, es ist keine gute Idee and denn ich halte es für eine schlechte Idee are a lot better suited for a written text.
    Cheers mate lovely that this community actually wants to help with this, in general i think i really want to d a bit too complicated sentences, but it just ends out bad...

If you feel like it, let me know if you find anymore of those Whoreanzone!

I'm Dutch, what kind of male/female/no form kind of things do you have in Danish?

Would it be hard for Dutch people to learn?

Quote Originally Posted by Snixs View Post
    Cheers mate lovely that this community actually wants to help with this, in general i think i really want to d a bit too complicated sentences, but it just ends out bad...
    Well enough Germans tend to use these sentences as well sadly enough so no blame.

What ? ^^
    The proper use of male/female/no form/multiple form use in different parts of the sentence.

Der, die, das and all the different forms basically.

Well enough Germans tend to use these sentences as well sadly enough so no blame.
    Funny thing, i heard that aswel, my friends sister saying they fucking all up that maskulinum, femaninum and neutrom.

---------- Post added 2012-03-14 at 08:43 PM ----------

I'm Dutch, what kind of male/female/no form kind of things do you have in Danish?

Would it be hard for Dutch people to learn?
    I actually dont know if it is thought in Germany or people just know the endings of stuff. We dont got that in any sort in Danish and i think Danish are known for being hard to learn, i heard a Dutch guy getting good at it quickly tho, so somehow i think you got an advantege.

It would be -1 point if we messed those up in school. We start with 10 points btw. I think in Germany grading is 1 (good) to 10 (bad) right? Exactly the other way.

The proper use of male/female/no form/multiple form use in different parts of the sentence.

Der, die, das and all the different forms basically.
    These are articles. I know it's always hard to tell which article to use, but after a while, it just becomes intuition. Yes, in german, the sun is female, and the moon is male. (Just an example)

Anyway, because you said "Faller", I guess you thought about "Fall" or "Fälle" which are Nominativ, Genitiv, Akkusativ and Dativ.

@Snixs: Do you still need translations?
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uh... I didn't get what you were trying to say with the german text.

'Wenn Sie auf ein Sabbatjahr muss' - Do you want to say 'When you want to go to a sabbatical'? or 'When she is going to a sabbatical'?

Maybe give us the english text so that we can understand what you are trying to say. We'll do our best (-:
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

Do you guys really have a problem with the word "Sabbatjahr" ? It's basically a year of doing... umm... anything?
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabbatjahr
    or maybe http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabbatical
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

It would be -1 point if we messed those up in school. We start with 10 points btw. I think in Germany grading is 1 (good) to 10 (bad) right? Exactly the other way.
    Grades 1-6 are for the younger pupils up to...middle school ? Not sure if that is the correct equivalent. After that you get points, from 1-15.

Quote Originally Posted by Pope View Post

@Snixs: Do you still need translations?
    I'm still looking for any possible feedback mate, thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    1 is the best, 6 is the worst.

1 - Sehr gut (Very good)
    2 - Gut (Good)
    3 - Befriedigend (Satisfying)
    4 - Ausreichend (Sufficient)
    5 - Mangelhaft (Inadequate, Poor)
    6 - Ungenügend (Insufficient)
    Sing like no one is listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus