Bioware, I am Disappoint [SPOILERS]

Well, I honestly can't say I saw this day coming.

I've loved Bioware for a long time. Their storytelling always has a way of pulling me in, their characters are often multi-layered and interesting in a way that makes me want to learn more about them, and their games, most importantly, are almost always incredibly entertaining.

That's what makes this suck so much more. The ending of Bioware's most recent release, Mass Effect 3, felt like just another hammer to the nail of Bioware's coffin, for me. This blow only lands harder after the disappointment of Dragon Age 2. The Old Republic may very well be a great MMO, though from all I have heard from players of the game, it's failing to gain the foothold they were hoping for. This is irrelevant to me, of course, as the fantastically written game series KOTOR, which I had become quite invested in once upon a time, was turned into an MMO on a platform I don't have access too, asking for a monthly payment to enjoy it.

This newest gripe, however, stands out the most for me, so far. For those who aren't aware of the ending of Mass Effect 3, or those who simply don't play the games, I'll offer a very basic explanation.

Highlight below for spoilers

At the end of ME3, after what amounts to what I feel was a very well done action sequence, you are presented with three choices on how to defeat your enemies in a very Fable 2-esque manner. There is a 'good', 'evil', and 'neutral' choice, none of which make a good deal of sense based on everything you've been fighting for. Some of them, in fact, are entirely out of the blue and borderline psychotic. No matter what choice you make, you'll see a brief cutscene of the results, amounting to a half-minute long battle sequence. Following this, you see the same scene depicting your own allies no matter what choice you made, a scene that does nothing to wrap up their stories or give you any understanding of what sort of impact you've had on them or anything else. In essence, it feels like the entire trilogy of games and the choices made within amount to absolutely nothing.

Spoilers end

So in short, I feel cheated. Mass Effect had all the makings of a magnificent trilogy, and I was looking forward to having some closure when it finally concluded. The first game launched almost five years ago, and since that time I've grown entirely fond of its characters, settings and plots. I wanted to see the whole thing wrap up, even if these vital side characters were only given a passing glance at the conclusion. Instead, I just feel completely put off by the series. Sure, they could put out DLC, but it's not going to change what is, frankly, the only ending the series has right now, an ending that offers almost nothing to fans of the games.

What I'm basically trying to say is, when are you going to make Jade Empire 2, Bioware?

Well, no. My grief is directed at Bioware in general, really.

Dragon Age 2 was a massive disappointment. Nothing that's been said about Dragon Age 3 leads me to believe it will improve matters. It's a shame, too, because if they'd stuck to a story the way they did with Mass Effect they'd have a much easier time drawing people into the story. Instead, it just comes across as schitzophrenic, and trying too hard to incorporate as many cameos as possible.

---------- Post added 2012-03-14 at 09:07 PM ----------

And also, seriously, what was up with Anders?

All I wanted was to keep being friends with the guy, because he and Justice were awesome in Awakenings. That doesn't mean he needs to violate my Hawke with his mage staff at every given opportunity.

It's because Bioware isn't a good company. It's just that they don't have any real competition in the RPG department US side atm anyway. Mass Effect 1 and 2 didn't have nearly as much hype as 3.

No matter what they did someone would be disappointed. Curb your fanatical fandom or continue to be one of those people in every circumstance.

10+ Year Old Account
    When EA decides JE has enough fans to make a sequel make money.

That said, the endings to ME3 certainly were lackluster...but the rest of the game? Pretty fraking awesome.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoncurry View Post
    It's because Bioware isn't a good company. It's just that they don't have any real competition in the RPG department US side atm anyway. Mass Effect 1 and 2 didn't have nearly as much hype as 3.
    I've loved Bioware games in the past. The ending of games like Jade Empire and Dragon Age wrapped things up perfectly. Old Master was a dick but now it's fixed. I can get behind that. Archdemon is dead and so am I (possibly). Fine! Absolutely fine.

But Mass Effect was a long, long fuse leading to a pathetically small pop. A pop that shoots sparks in your eyes. And none of them are pretty colors.

---------- Post added 2012-03-14 at 09:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    That said, the endings to ME3 certainly were lackluster...but the rest of the game? Pretty fraking awesome.
    I agree, 200%. But the ending does nothing to validate anything you do. Nothing takes on any kind of meaning. Stuff just... happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ7bsIpEKIg

That is all, watch this video and the ending is SO much better because it actually makes you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Minimegamax View Post
    That is all, watch this video and the ending is SO much better because it actually makes you think.
    I've seen this theory thrown around. It adds an interesting note to the whole thing, but in the end it amounts to the same thing. You -still- know nothing about what's going on with everyone else, and if you want to know, you have to wait awhile longer and -hope- some DLC that you have to pay extra for fills in the gaps.

Face if. If Inception's ending were the last part of a long trilogy, you'd want to kick Leonardo DiCaprio in the face, too.

Mind you, if this theory -did- turn out to be correct, and Bioware put out a free DLC to build on it, I doubt I'd feel nearly as cheated. I suppose I just don't have that much faith in DLC-based content.
    Last edited by oneeyedirishman; 2012-03-15 at 01:19 AM.

If they make DLC for Mass Effect 3 so you know what actually happens in the ending, then I'm not buying anymore games from Bioware.
    I am not Voting Trump because I support him, its about keeping a Career Criminal out of office that mishandles classified information.
    Beta males can cry on how I will not vote for their brood mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Have you even considered the perspective of the 'violent' muslims?

10+ Year Old Account
    I keep seeing people say that ME3 had 3 endings. I was only presented with 2 options though. How do you gain access to this third ending?

SPOILERS

My options were control the reapers, or destroy the reapers.

END SPOILERS

It would certainly make me sad. Only if I have to pay for it, I'd say, though. It's an interesting theory, but it -is- just a theory, right now.

Even though this thread will be closed and you will be prolly be told to go to the ME3 megathread for discussion, http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/122/1220712p1.html Talks about how "the ending is open to interpretation by the players" which makes sense to me. If mass effect was always about how you built shepards legacy, than bioware achieved their goal because we are all still sitting hit debating/raging about what the ending could have meant. The video linked earlier is a very popular theory. I honestly believe the indoctrination theory because 2/3 endings test who you are. My shepard always wanted to destroy the reapers, and here is for lack of a better term, "God" trying to persuade me not to be the shepard i always was and to give into the reapers. Hence why I chose to destroy the reapers.
    Thank You Shyama for the sig again!!

Quote Originally Posted by suttie View Post
    I keep seeing people say that ME3 had 3 endings. I was only presented with 2 options though. How do you gain access to this third ending?
    END SPOILERS
    Highlight below for answer.

The Reaper thing should also present the option to merge synthetic life with organic life. Which is... just weird. That choice should be straight ahead of you on the path, rather than turning off to the left for control or right for destroy.

End answer.

---------- Post added 2012-03-14 at 09:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vallin View Post
    My shepard always wanted to destroy the reapers, and here is for lack of a better term, "God" trying to persuade me not to be the shepard i always was and to give into the reapers. Hence why I chose to destroy the reapers.
    Highlight for spoilers

But the choice -sucks-. You're killing yourself, you're killing the Geth who you've possibly gone to hell and back and even potentially lost friends to save, you're killing EDI (and the thought of the look on Joker's face makes me want to die). My interpretation for every choice is misery, weirdness, and death for everybody. That's hardly what one would generally hope for.

Spoilers end

Quote Originally Posted by oneeyedirishman View Post
    Highlight for spoilers

But the choice -sucks-. You're killing yourself, you're killing the Geth who you've possibly gone to hell and back and even potentially lost friends to save, you're killing EDI (and the thought of the look on Joker's face makes me want to die). My interpretation for every choice is misery, weirdness, and death for everybody. That's hardly what one would generally hope for.

Spoilers end
    Oh I agree, Except (Spoilers)
    My Shepard indeed lived because I am awesome, and my shepard was historically paragon driven. I let the geth upload the reaper AI so they could become truly conscious, which tore me up because I loved Legion and I loved the progression they made in his story only to have him chopped down. But what it boils down to is the protection of the galaxy. Everyone is counting on shepard to stop the reapers. Granted all three choices stop them, only one infinitely ends the threat of the reapers by totally removing them from the equation. Sucks the Geth are gone, and it sucks Joker loses EDI, but lets be honest, the boy needs to date a normal woman.
    Thank You Shyama for the sig again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vallin View Post
    the boy needs to date a normal woman.
    But... but I worked so hard on them.

He has brittle bones!

She gives him piggy back rides around the Citadel!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oneeyedirishman View Post
    I agree, 200%. But the ending does nothing to validate anything you do. Nothing takes on any kind of meaning. Stuff just... happens.
    True, I'm rather hoping they'll release a different ending. Still, I can replay 99% of the game and enjoy myself immensely.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

When I got to the ending, I knew I didn't do all that well, I only had two days to get through the game so I kind of rushed some things. I saw the ending and thought "meh, I guess that's what I get, I'll come back later to do better and get a good ending", and now I realize I picked the best ending.

15+ Year Old Account
    Was there a reason you couldn't use the already-existing Bioware thread?
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right