Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Is there a point in gaming anymore?

IF YOU ARE OVERLY SENSITIVE DO NOT CONTINUE READING THIS THREAD IT IS PERSONAL OPINION ONLY BASED OFF A PLAYERS OBSERVATIONS FROM OLD SCHOOL AND NEW SCHOOL

First off this is my view point on casuals NOT ALL casuals but ALOT of them. I know some casuals are good players and are good people who respect others and are not teenage morons.

As we all know gaming has gone to hell. Simple content from every game nothing challenging nothing hard mindless idiots spamming modern wanna be trolls running rampant Ignorant new players who have no idea about anything but so boldly carry on about how they are elite. What's fun about all of that? Does anyone else just want a game company to make a game like they used to be that were hard challenging and you had to work to receive? Cause after all with blizzards "make it fair for everyone" what is more fair then you get what you work for? Sadly with the lower quality of games so too has come the lower quality of the gaming community. I wish 1 game company would come out with a game that was hard and stand to it and not buckle under all the crying of the wrath of the retards BS "oh it's too hard you need to make the game easier so everyone can play it" "you need to be fair and make it available to everyone"

I mean don't get me wrong i'm a nice guy but I really really think the casuals need to cut the crap and figure out their place. I mean they came into our world they started doing what MANY of us have done for much longer then they even knew what a controller was. Should we not be respected? Should we not be looked up to as people who actually know their stuff rather then "hard core aholes"

Much with the casuals whining I've picked up a few tid bits that explain how they are that ignorantly idiotic

Gamers have no life and sit in their parent's basement all day?
    Maybe but however gamers are skilled at games. It is our thing it's what we are into. We can do things much faster then casuals and some times we HATE spending all day to get 1 thing done say like daily pvp quest. While it takes casuals so long to do something we do it much faster because gaming is our thing. Like a car guy vs a rich girl who is into shopping and all of that. Who will be able to change the oil in their car faster? The car guy because cars are his thing it is what he is into and he enjoys it.

Gamers are aholes?
    Not really we tend to be nice people however with all of the casual crap that people have been pulling for so long now we tend to get a bit fed up and sick of it. I mean really we have let you have your way hell we let you destroy our games we let you turn them into a joke simple content that you can all brag about. Yet you think we are the aholes for getting fed up?

Why They Are Here?
    I would think that all of these casuals are now playing MMOS because it is the single cheapest hands down form of entertainment on the market.
    Example going to a movie for 2 or 3 hours costs what? $5 - $10? k 2 hours out of 30 days? vs $15 bucks a month? Cable $60 - $80? vs $15 a month?

I play games to get away from all of the BS in real life to enjoy them and be happy so why would anyone tolerate lifes BS in a video game? Because all they need to do is cry about how they didn't get their way.

As much as people will argue against this, its sadley true, look at games from years ago compared to now, there is a massive difference in difficulty.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread will go to bad places. I'm an old school gamer, started out on a C64, and I can relate to some of what you say but I don't think the gaming world is simply that black and white. The word casual is probably the most misused word in the gaming scene. A casual can be an old school gamer who simply doesn't have a lot of time to spend, that however doesn't make him any less skilled.

Well, the gaming world seems to be evolving to suit me personally as I get older and have more and more demands on my time.

Sucks for everyone not in my situation I suppose

As an old school gamer and casual player I have issues with this. I try my best and I don't want a cake walk, but I also don't have time to crunch numbers and monitor every detail.

I do agree that there should be games out there for the "hardcore" gamer, but those games will not appeal to the vast majority of people and would therefore probably fail to make the producer money. Hence it will not be released by a major company.

If people want hard games made for them, try studying programming and gaming. Work to form your own company (be an entraupenuer, we need more of those to boost the economies of the world) who create the difficult games for those who want them. I doubt you will become rich from this, but you can make a product you enjoy and possibly have fun doing it yourself. If you want the challenge go for it, but you need to realize that is not what the majority of gamers have time for today.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    As much as people will argue against this, its sadley true, look at games from years ago compared to now, there is a massive difference in difficulty.
    Difficulty or quality? I began gaming in the early 90's, my memories of hard games stems from poor design more than intentional design.

As we all know gaming has gone to hell.
    Because of mega publishers pumping out incomplete game after incomplete game. Not because of the assertion you are making.

The eliteism is strong in you.

Another self-proclaimed "gamer" using the word "casual" in an inappropriate way.

What's really happened is this:

Before: Smaller gaming community, less "acceptable", less tolerance of poor play both in the way games were designed and by the players themselves.
    Now: Massive gaming culture, bigger pool of people, too many to really enforce the "be good or get out" and way too profitable to NOT design around.

If you want to blame someone like you REALLY seem to want to, blame the gaming developers that chose money over fostering a skilled community.

Also, please stop using the word casual. You're doing it wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Grass is greener. It's like old people saying music was better in their day.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    You say that this is your personal opinion, but you write it like you speak for all of us?
    Example: "As we all know gaming has gone to hell"

Speak for yourself m8, cuz gaming to my opinion has not gone to hell. I am a 32 year old gamer since the game Pong, the actual first game ever made. I loved it and still love gaming. I had about every console ever existed and have spend a large amount of time gaming. I call this addiction my hobby. There is plenty of realy hard games around. Gaming will keep existing for many years to come, so new adventures will cross our path in the future. I can't wait what games will be developped in the future.

Not being sensitive here, cuz frankly I don't realy care for your opinion. (as you don't have to care about mine)
    Just pointing out your way of writing is not in an I-mode but in a we-mode, so you can expect comments on this.

Peace out, back to some gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Difficulty or quality? I began gaming in the early 90's, my memories of hard games stems from poor design more than intentional design.
    This, too. I've replayed some of my favorite NES games from back in the day and suddenly I'm not going "oh, wow, this is difficult and demanding!"

I'm going, "Jesus tapdancing christ these controls are awful." Playing through Startropics, a game I adored back in the day, and I can barely finish the second dungeon before having to throw the damn game out the window due to the fucking horrible controls. That's not difficult, that's just dumb.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

15+ Year Old Account
    News Flash: Games are meant to be a time waster. There was never a 'point' other than enjoying your free time.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are still plenty of hardcore games out there. You just need to realize that Warcraft/TOR are not the only MMOs in existence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't want to start a this game is better than this game argument but RIFT is catered towards long end game grind with unforgiving mechanics and no ez mode raids to steamroll through. I offer this completely as an option to your obvious problem because not sure if you realize but the WoW you long for ain't coming back.

I've been playing computer games for over 20 years and i don't think they have gotten any easier, if anything i've got better at playing them. Don't forget games are supposed to be fun and as long as the game fulfills that requirement there will always been a need for them.
    Last edited by Toccs; 2012-03-15 at 12:44 PM.

Where is that article about fake difficulty? Someone should really link that here.

Here you go:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...FakeDifficulty

The are five kinds of fake difficulty, in addition to the sub-category:

Bad technical aspects make it difficult. Making a difficult jump is a real difficulty. Making a same difficult jump with overly complex controls, bad jumping physics, or an abrupt mid-air change of camera angle - and therefore the orientation of your controls - is fake difficulty.

The outcome is not reasonably determined by the player's actions. Unlocking a door by solving a color puzzle is real difficulty. Unlocking it by pressing a button until you get the right number is not.

Denial of information critical to progress. A reasonable game may require the player to use information, clues, or logic to proceed. Witholding relevant information such that the player cannot possibly win without a guide, walkthrough or trial and error is fake difficulty. Also includes hidden Unstable Equilibrium (e.g. a later level is much harder if you do badly at an early level, and you're not informed of this ahead of time). In a 2D game with no camera control, hiding important details behind foreground elements or Behind the Black counts as fake difficulty if your character should be able to see them.

The outcome of the game is influenced by decisions that were uninformed at the time and cannot be undone. (Unless the game is heavily story-based and unforeseen consequences of actions undertaken with incomplete information are legitimate plot elements, or the game offers some way of mitigating or eliminating those consequences.) A game that offers a Joke Character and is clear about the character's weakness has real difficulty. A game that disguises a joke character as a real one has fake difficulty.

The game requires the player to use skills or knowledge that are either incorrect or have nothing to do with the genre. A football game that requires you to describe the position that Jerry Rice played for a power-up is real difficulty. A football game that forces you to do multi-variable calculus in order to train your starting lineup is fake difficulty, not to mention just plain silly.
    Old games were LITTERED with fake difficulty. It was all BS.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2012-03-15 at 12:49 PM.

Gaming wasn't more difficult back then.

Sure some games were stupidly annoying where you'd have to jump on tiny platforms over a long trap with a bunch of random stuff moving and then giving you little/no save points but I don't really miss that.
    Even if I would miss it though there are several other games coming out today that fit this style, like Super Meat Boy.

Other than that games had a lot less buttons and skill and were just very luck or trial and error based.
    The first games I played were Mario and Crash Bandicoot, both being very easy by todays standards.
    I mean Crash 2 and 3 can be done in one sitting. (Just the story mode anyway)

The only thing that has changed is that we've become more critical about the games we play.
    No bad game gets made without people noticing it and flaming it to the ground and blaming it for all the bad in the industry nowadays.
    Can't figure out what to do? 5 seconds on the internet and you're good to go.

So do tell, what did old school games have that new school doesn't?
    Feel free to add examples.

Wow dude, look back at your post and the way you consider "lesser" gamers to be whiney teenagers and you might see why people connect your gaming to you being an a-hole.

By the way, there have always been easy games and there are still hard games today. In fact I'd say the gaming world is in it's best shape for a long time :- big studios are making some fantastic blockbuster titles, indy developers are incredibly strong thanks to support from things like Steam and every now and then we get a true work of art like Skyrim or Portal to blow us away.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a 30+ year old gamer who has been playing since 1985 NES, I can agree with some stuff you said, but man... to write a long assed post like that... you care way too much about it & you need to find some other hobbies or a wife or some shit.
    Last edited by Fahrenheit; 2012-03-15 at 12:54 PM.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Deleted
    Not gonna argue this too much because you seem pretty bent on your opinion but... the witcher 2 and demon souls / dark souls are more recent releases that are extremely difficult. Difficulty is something that we have been given the option to change to our preference which surely is a good thing. But if you're talking in the sense of MMOs, it pleases shareholders way more if you get millions of casuals rather than a tenth of the people in hardcores and make it an absolute pushover.

However! Who enjoys grinding? You might say 'oh but it divides the casuals from the hardcore' but no. A grind is an artificial extension of the game, usually designed to increase the amount of time you spend ingame so that you don't beat the game before the newest DLC / patch / expansion. Grinds are not a nessecary evil, difficulty should be decided by how hard it is to beat the game. In wow, you have casuals that don't look for a challenge as much as just a bit of fun, then mediumcore guy that does his dailies and caps points every week and maybe kills one or two heroics, and then theres the hardcores that grind professions all day and raid all night and do math to min/max their gameplay. I'm fairly confident that Ragnaros heroic was the hardest bossfight that we have seen in wow for a long long time so why the argument about lowering difficulty?
    I think what we're seeing is rather a sense of that you can accomplish something without playing the game for hours upon hours than making the game easier.

If you want difficulty, it is still there. If you can't find it then surely you arent the hardcore gamer you claim you are.
    Last edited by mmocc12e1a6c25; 2012-03-15 at 12:56 PM.

Not speaking generally, PC Gaming has changed. I got flamed because I commented negatively about Steam's attempts to console PC games in their new project, because I don't personally like the idea of bridging the gap between PC and Console gaming. However, it is what some publishers are attempting to do. I like PC gaming because for me it's a Niche hobby, for people who take care of their rigs, trick them out, and keep up to date to tackle new releases in stunning visual quality

When I started gaming on the PC it was with MUDs..I went back to that MUD not too long ago and the community was terrible. I'd love to go back to PC gaming targeting the original gaming demographic.