[Balance] Heroic Yorsagh and Mushrooms

I am an officer and trying to help some fellow raiders theorycraft a bit to max out their dps as we progress with heroics. I'm not terribly familiar with boomkin spec at all, so I was hoping for some insight from this group. We have a boomkin with legendary staff, and he's normally our top dps or vying for it against our rogue with 397 version of DS's legendary. But on our 1st Heroic Yorsagh kill he was 2nd to last on the DPS meter. Comparing WoL parses of him against a boomkin in top 10 parse fight of the world, I noticed the top parse had 18.2% of total dps as Wild Mushroom, and our boomkin only 5.4%. (I'm afraid I can't post links yet on MMO-champ)

How and when should a boomkin effectively utilize Wild Mushroom on Heroic Yorsagh?

Many thanks for any insight the forum can provide.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiyan View Post
    I am an officer and trying to help some fellow raiders theorycraft a bit to max out their dps as we progress with heroics. I'm not terribly familiar with boomkin spec at all, so I was hoping for some insight from this group. We have a boomkin with legendary staff, and he's normally our top dps or vying for it against our rogue with 397 version of DS's legendary. But on our 1st Heroic Yorsagh kill he was 2nd to last on the DPS meter. Comparing WoL parses of him against a boomkin in top 10 parse fight of the world, I noticed the top parse had 18.2% of total dps as Wild Mushroom, and our boomkin only 5.4%. (I'm afraid I can't post links yet on MMO-champ)

How and when should a boomkin effectively utilize Wild Mushroom on Heroic Yorsagh?

Many thanks for any insight the forum can provide.
    Boomkins should be using mushrooms during black phases oozes when the adds spawn. tab target sunfire as they spawn / running into the group and then mushroom/hurricane once they are grouped up.

A moonkins damage can vary largely based on the raids decision on which oozes to kill. If you're a 10 man guild with not alot of AoE classes, it may be more viable for you to kill a black ooze and leave a green one up. Since you're rogue is near the top of the meter i'm assuming you guys don't do alot of black phases lol, and/or you're a 10man guild because rogues are usually close to the bottom of the meter since they don't have viable burst AoE for black ooze adds.

If this is the case then there's really nothing to worry about with your boomkins dps. You're simply just a chicken hater who refuses to let chickens do what they do best =(.

Keep in mind that top parses will be Aoe favored, and guilds or groups may be purposefully leaving gold and black up for tons of adds to inflate the dps, which may or may not be the best way to kill the boss, but rather the best DPS opportunity. Also keep in mind the AoE damage profile of your raid. If there are a few strong AoE classes, then the adds may go down too fast to get two cycles of shrooms in. And there is nothing explicty wrong with losing to a rogue on that fight. Blade flurry isnt traditional AoE, but it does ridiculous damage for one button. Add in using Adrenaline rush during BF and getting to possibly stay on the boss the whole fight, depends on how fast you can kill slimes obv, and yeah, nothing wrong with losing to a rogue.

But yeah, one set of shrooms should be used every add phase, at the minimum.

We are a 10 man guild, and we were struggling with the adds as our comp is not strong in the aoe department. My examination/concern was not due so much to the fact he got beat by a rogue, but that he dropped from top 2 dps to 2nd from bottom dps on the fight and I thought a boomkin should have good aoe dps. It did not occur to me that people would stack a fight just to get a top parse, but that is good point.

We got our kill because we saved a mana void from the 1st phase for the next that we could finish it off quick for extra mana so our healers could get us through the dmg. It seems to have been the lynchpin, so this might all be a moot point. I do think his aoe dmg would improve from what I'm seeing in the parses if he used mushrooms on CD during that phase. Would using it on CD during that phase be the way to execute it? Thanks for the tips all!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiyan View Post

We got our kill because we saved a mana void from the 1st phase for the next that we could finish it off quick for extra mana so our healers could get us through the dmg. It seems to have been the lynchpin, so this might all be a moot point. I do think his aoe dmg would improve from what I'm seeing in the parses if he used mushrooms on CD during that phase. Would using it on CD during that phase be the way to execute it? Thanks for the tips all!
    That is the key, from my exp, to that fight. That and a holy pal.

Shrooms should at least be used once, and if you are truly stuggling in overall aoe, there should be time for a second set, but the adds should be going down before there is time for a third. Gold+black is different, obviously with the additional adds, and there should be time and need for a 3rd. So no, they shouldn't really be used "on CD" since they could potentially die as he is setting up the second or third set, thereby "wasting" those GCDs.

Ideally just sunfire/moonfire spread, starfall and shrooms. I usually throw in typhoon also, and only hurricane if there are a few that are low health that need finishing off.

Really need to know if you are raiding 10 man or 25 ?
    I have done the fight on both and on 10 man we killed the black enough of the time and spread out on the edge of the hitbox that we got hard any waves of adds. This difference in strat in 10 man can really make or break the fight in terms of dps.

On 25 man the fight is basically we are lucky to not get a black add so spend most of the time dotting shrooming sometimes i dont leave solar for massive parts of the fight which will give huge amount of shroom damage 750k each set.
    Vote Pengu for president!
    "For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much - the wheel, New York, wars and so on - whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man - for precisely the same reasons."

Quote Originally Posted by shags the penguin View Post
    Really need to know if you are raiding 10 man or 25 ?
    I have done the fight on both and on 10 man we killed the black enough of the time and spread out on the edge of the hitbox that we got hard any waves of adds. This difference in strat in 10 man can really make or break the fight in terms of dps.

On 25 man the fight is basically we are lucky to not get a black add so spend most of the time dotting shrooming sometimes i dont leave solar for massive parts of the fight which will give huge amount of shroom damage 750k each set.
    He already stated he was in a 10man... 0.o