~$1k Build Questions

Budget: ~$1000
    Resolution: 1920x1080
    Games: WoW, Diablo 3, GW2 (obv Ultra settings is preferable)
    Other: FRAPS, screencast, video encoding, flexibility for future upgrades
    Nation: USA

Here's the build I'm considering at the moment, which definitely stretches my budget (not able to post links yet I don't think):

• Intel Core i5-2500K Processor
    • RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz Ripjaw Series (9-9-9-24) Dual Channel kit for Intel LGA1156/AM3
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2133 LGA 1155 - GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3​ ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
    • Thermaltake Frio Overclocking Universal CPU Cooler CLP0564
    • PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt 80 Plus - CMPSU-650TXV2
    • EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0
    • Crucial 128 GB m4 SSD

I'll also be getting a monitor, keyboard, case, DVD drive and possibly mouse if I can afford it. If anyone has some time, I have some questions about my build and I would be really super grateful to have them answered =)

1. I've read slightly contradictory info about Ivy Bridge[1]. Is it delayed until June or just like 3 weeks? I'd wait until April but I don't think I'd want to wait until June (especially with Diablo 3 coming out 5/15 ^^)
    2. Will I be able to FRAPS/screencast on max settings with this setup?
    3. On a recent podcast Arx (Paragon-EU) mentioned that many people were having gfx problems with, e.g., Ultraxion-25. Can such a build still handle that on max while being able to FRAPS/screencast, or am I being unrealistic? Is Ultraxion just a bad indication of WoW performance requirements?
    4. Is the Z68X motherboard really worth the upgrade over the Z68A?
    5. Does it make sense to hang on a couple more weeks for a different graphics card or price drop?
    Thank you so much. I've already learned a ton browsing other threads on this forum... definitely one of the best communities and hopefully I can contribute back some day!

[1] semiaccurate.com/2012/03/13/intels-non-delay-of-ivy-bridge-explained/
    Last edited by opticrope; 2012-03-22 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Update specs

1. It should be here in April, only mobile chips are rumored to be delayed.

2. Probably not max settings, no, the 560 Ti is a good card, and it can handle most MMOs at Ultra (without Shadows and Multisampling in 25-mans), but more demanding games like BF3 will have to be played on High, especially while FRAPSing (assuming 1080p).

3. See above.

4. I'd recommend taking a look at the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, easily the best 1155 board on the market in its price range.

5. Yes. The price of the GTX 580 is expected to drop sharply in the coming days.

Thanks so much for your quick response! (your build looks great btw ^^)

I dunno much about motherboards but the ASRock looks like exactly what I need - Ivy Bridge compatibility and good reviews re: layout. And the price is perfect on Amazon right now!

Quick follow-up:

1. Any idea about how well supported this hardware is for Linux distros? I realize that for optimal performance I'd want to compile it myself for the processor but I'm curious if anyone has any experience (my main OS will likely be Win7-64)
    2. Are there any particular precautions I should take when assembling these components? I was looking through some guides but none of them really mentioned anti-static tools or anything; is this something I should be careful about?
    Last edited by opticrope; 2012-03-15 at 04:13 PM.

1. I'm not sure, I've not used Linux in years.

2. Nah, college courses will teach you to use anti-static straps and the like, but 9999/10000 times you'll be fine as long as you discharge any static before you start by touching a metal object, the side of the computer case for example.

Whoo the GTX 680 just came out. Now that prices of the 580 should go down, which version of that card should I look for?

The one that looks most similar to the 560 Ti, spec-wise, seems to be something like this:
    amazon.com/EVGA-Superclocked-Mini-HDMI-Lifetime-015-P3-1582-AR/dp/B004BDOR6U - EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Superclocked 1536 MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 2DVI/Mini-HDMI SLI Ready Limited Lifetime Warranty Graphics Card, 015-P3-1582-AR

There's also a more expensive 3 GB card (I'm assuming that it's not worth it). I also think I need the Superclocked version to make sure I can overclock it.

Is this the correct card I need to watch to see when the price drops? Also, some reviewers are stating that it's only a very slight upgrade from the GTX 570 and maybe not even worth the extra money, do you think that could be accurate?
    GTX 570: amazon.com/EVGA-Superclocked-Mini-HDMI-Lifetime-012-P3-1572-AR/dp/B004EYSMGW/

The price of the 560 Ti seems to be fairly stable for the moment. Will this new card also cause the price of that one to drop? Are the 570 or 580 worth the extra $100-$200 over the 560 Ti in a budget build like this? Should I just wait a couple more weeks?

Thanks so much!
    Last edited by opticrope; 2012-03-22 at 10:21 PM. Reason: minor grammar

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you really want Nvidia and don't want to spend the cash on the 680's wait till the 660's or 670's come out. Also a really solid video card is the 7850/7870 depending on how much you want to spend and they will probably go down as well with Nvidia's coming out.
    560tivs7850 http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549?vs=547
    560tivs7870 http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=547
    7870vs570 http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=518
    and 7870vs6950 http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=510

And yeah I would wait a few more weeks.