View Poll Results: Get Rid of Combat/Utility Racials?

Voters
226. This poll is closed
  • Yes - Replace Combat/Utility Racials

134 59.29%
  • No - Keep them.

92 40.71%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, some racials just feel completely useless in their current state, especially the Tauren boost to HP which is now a boost to base HP.
    You know, base HP, the thing Tauren already have a reasonably high amount of compared to other races. Just roll in the bonus into their standard base HP and give them something worth actually putting in the spellbook.

Also:

- Regeneration [ Change ] (Only out of combat)
    Wouldn't it be good to change / remove some of the useless racials instead of making them even more laughable?
    RIP Gunther, he wanted orange, the world gave him lemon-lime.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Blizzard has 100% confirmed, they will never revamp the racials.
    source? because with resistance being removed they will be forced to at the very least remove/change those racials.

Quote Originally Posted by EdisonTrent View Post
    Also:

-Regeneration [ Change ]

Wouldn't it be good to change / remove some of the useless racials instead of making them even more laughable?
    And there's nothing you can do about it:

--------------------------------------
    So, as you all know, I play a Shaman. I'm currently the best geared Shaman in the world (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...eak&n=Darkness) and I have multiple world DPS records on WowMeterOnline. So I go into this Battleground because I feel like gracing my battlegroup with my presence, right? Everyone is cheering as I enter. They don't bother putting down a mage table or healthstone because they know that they're not going to need it--I, the Darkness, has come.

So I cast Lightning Shield on myself, because that's what Shamans do. They call down MOTES OF ELECTRICITY FROM THE HEAVENS and they SURROUND THEMSELVES with DEADLY AMOUNTS OF LIGHTNING! All of my teammates are instantly electrocuted to death, but me? I merely bathe in the energy; it is my plaything. Even though my teammates are now charred corpses, they continue to cheer, because they know that I can solo this. The gates open. I run in. With Ghost Wolf, my movement speed is increased by

40% PERCENT

Horde sees me run by but they can't do anything about it because I'm a ghost and I'm wolfing at

40 PERCENT

a Blood Elf Paladin with Crusader Aura on bubbles and flees in terror when he sees me traveling at

40 PERCENT

They can hear the howl of my ghost wolf. They are all cowering--no, literally, they type the /cower emote and just stand there--as I cap the Stables. I cast WATERWALKING on myself--WATERWALKING, like Jesus, and I careen towards the Blacksmith. The Horde there see me coming and they just /afk the !@#$ out. I put down my totems before I start capping Blacksmith's flag. A Rogue tries to sap me--

BAM!

The Rogue is engulfed in flame as my Searing Totem SEARS him from the inside out! His leather clothing EXPLODES in a rain of fire that spirals around my beautiful female Draenei form as I continue to cap the Blacksmith. The fire rips through the Rogue's bones, but it doesn't even consider touching me--why? Because I've got

FIRE RESIST TOTEM

A Warlock swoops in in Demon Form and tries to Conflag me but his Conflag does 0 damage to me because of

FIRE RESIST TOTEM

A Troll Mage Slowfalls in and he Pyroblasts me but it is ineffective because of

FIRE RESIST TOTEM

Blacksmith caps. I mount up on my KAEL'THAS MOUNT--no, literally, I ride Kael'thas around, the Blood Elf--and head over to Farm, because I feel like eating some potatoes.

POTATOES. BOIL 'EM, MASH 'EM, STICK 'EM IN A STEW. AND HEARTS. SHAMAN DESIRES PALADIN HEARRRRRRRTS.

Just then, I see something through my Sentry Totem. It's the WoW General Forums! --People are complaining about how overpowered I am! They're saying that Shamans need to be nerfed. I smirk.

That's when I decide to take out my HAND OF RAGNAROS.

EIGHTY POINT FOUR DAMAGE PER SECONNNNND

I slam the Hand of Ragnaros down into the ground. Arathi Basin shatters like glass--the ground falls out from under me. The fabric of SPACE itself CRUMBLES beneath my feet. I cackle as I enter the REAL REALM, becoming a TRUE ENTITY existing ON THE PLANET EARTH. I am a Draenei walking around New York--the cops try to stop me, but they forget all about me when they take a gander at my

STONECLAW TOTEM

STONE AND CLAW COMBINED. CAN YOU TAKE IT?

But then, in the spaces between the gathering crowds, I see something. Someone. The smirk on my face deteriorates. .. it's one of the Horde. A Troll.

I thought I had destroyed Arathi Basin. I thought I had won the Battleground. But all that time--

--But all that time--...

.. there he was. Just standing there. Regenerating 5, health,

per

second.

I glared at the Troll.

The Troll glared back at me.

Silence flooded the world.

"And there's nothing you can do about it," the Troll whispered.[/FONT]

This is probably the worst wow related post i have ever read

Why not just remove most races and have only orcs and humans? jesus christ

10+ Year Old Account
    So, in other words, you want to remove EVERY SINGLE RACIAL that adds any sort of function, use, or fun to the game, I'm assuming because you're tired of getting ganked by them or something? WTF? I mean, you talk of 'revamping' the racials, but all I see is remove remove remove remove remove. Sorry, nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Basically if they're going to have racials that affect dps/hps/crucial pvp utility then they need to be balanced. Same goes for profession bonuses, by the way. Make gathering professions competitive!

It's hard to make racials fun and balanced at the same time, sure. But every new race they make has had racials that are more or less flat dps/hps benefits. Draenei got flat hit% (and a heal), Blood Elves got a silence/mana cd, Goblins get flat haste, Worgen get straight-up damage (what's "fun" about 1% more dps? That's a pure buff), and Pandas are getting probably the most powerful racial ever for PVE for any class. They've clearly strayed from their "fun/flavour" formula for racials over time and the older racials need to be reassessed.

Okay now I'm off to enjoy my massively OP 233% longer underwater breathing (not permanent underwater breathing, that would be SO imbalanced!).

fuck that!

sorry dude, but "removing" basically some all the race's uniqueness is BORING.. who cares if a specific race give a 0.000001% dmg increase This isn't an esport.

PS: SWTOR doesn't have races, it has 4 body types with different skins.

Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    I like the flavor of different racial abilities. It just adds that tiny bit of variety. None of them have any significant impact, so meh.
    Pretty much this. None of the racials have a game-breaking impact in PvE. Trolls might do better dps as some classes than other races, but other than that the impact that racials have is so negligible. Player skill and dps circumstance have much more influence on dmg dealt.

As far as PvP goes, I agree some racials are less desirable than others because they are simply worse. However, one must keep in mind that the human racial is gr8 for pvp, but nearly worthless in pve (except breaking the occaisional... idk trash mob stun?)

Maybe, but not in the direction you are looking to go. Racials are supposed to be there to make each race feel unique, and have certain advantages. Unfortunately, players have bitched about them so incessantly that most racials are borderline useless/boring and the good ones are still being bitched about for being OP.

10+ Year Old Account
    They should really change the name of "Every man for himself" .. some new players might not want to play a race that has a "cowardly named" racial. imo.

Example:

"Dwarf Shadow Priest" is a prime example of someone who exists on one end of the spectrum when it comes to racial bonuses - He really has no need for them at all. He gains no benefit from having them and there is no fun to be had at all.

Then take someone like "Night Elf Bear Druid" who makes use of every single racial ability that a Night Elf has to offer whether passive or on use. This is a good thing, but a worgen bear can never be as good as a night elf bear with our current system. Night elf bear druids simply have more survivability. - Fact

The message I'm trying to send here is that every single race/class combination should have racial abilities that they find fun and interesting, whether passive or activated. But at the same time, they shouldn't make your class/race combo more efficient at healing, tanking, or damage dealing. Go ahead and take a look at the abilities I'm suggesting we should remove. A lot of them look like 1% crit, +3 expertise, 1% hit, etc. These are the same kind of boring abilities that Blizzard removed from our talent trees going into this expansion. They could do the same with these talents, and replace them with some new abilities that were actually fun and set the races apart.

I don't know how people can support the idea of having boring old stat stick talents that do nothing but create unbalance between races.
    Last edited by thealexbobsy; 2012-03-16 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thealexbobsy View Post
    Example:

"Dwarf Shadow Priest" is a prime example of someone who exists on one end of the spectrum when it comes to racial bonuses - He really has no need for them at all. He gains no benefit from having them and there is no fun to be had at all.

Then take someone like "Night Elf Bear Druid" who makes use of every single racial ability that a Night Elf has to offer whether passive or on use. This is a good thing, but a worgen bear can never be as good as a night elf bear with our current system. Night elf bear druids simply have more survivability. - Fact

The message I'm trying to send here is that every single race/class combination should have racial abilities that they find fun and interesting, whether passive or activated. But at the same time, they shouldn't make your class/race combo more efficient at healing, tanking, or damage dealing. Go ahead and take a look at the abilities I'm suggesting we should remove. A lot of them look like 1% crit, +3 expertise, 1% hit, etc. These are the same kind of boring abilities that Blizzard removed from our talent trees going into this expansion. They could do the same with these talents, and replace them with some new abilities that were actually fun and set the races apart.

I don't know how people can support the idea of having boring old stat stick talents that do nothing but create unbalance between races.
    Because:

1. Imbalance is so minuscule as to be irrelevant.

2. There are good reasons for stat talents. These stat talents describe and characterize the differences between the races. Gnomes are a small, but brainy race, that's good at magic and engineering. Dwarves are a hardy people who live in a cold area and dig a lot.

I don't know how people get so excited about tiny differences that do nothing to create imbalance between races.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, your poll is completely biased and basically one sided. It's either we completely agree with you, or have no say in the matter. Do racials need to be changed? Maybe, but not to the extremes that you posted. Do they need to just be left alone and stay the same? Again, maybe, but on the other hand, maybe it IS time Blizzard stepped back and took a look.

I think STO actually did this perfectly...make your own freaking race. Pick and choose which racials you want. I'd be all over that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

All I want is the character creation screen revamped... Its seriously lacking. Better textures and more options please.
    It probably isn't all that hard and currently is a terrible introduction to the game, I've seen phone games with better character creation menus...
    Quote Originally Posted by Oradraffe View Post
    MoP is not happening i can promise that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tric619 View Post
    Been playing since week 1 and still believe Mop is the next expac? >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Feyrzhuk View Post
    MoP will never be a WoW expansion. Feel free to flame and ridicule me should I be proven wrong.

i'm down. i don't want the optimization.

now giving each race a different flavor of dps cooldown i am not against. weapon bonuses no longer mean much but what they COULD do is allow the races to always be able to transmog to their weapon type.
    i.e. Orcs can xmute anything into 1 or 2 handed axes, always.

not to say that i want all the changes the OP wants. i just want an even keel across the board.
    feeling like i have to roll an orc to be a demo lock or bm hunter feels dumb to me and other such situations feels stupid to me.
    Last edited by Albert the fish; 2012-03-16 at 11:52 AM.
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

Quote Originally Posted by Nyaldee View Post
    No they shouldn't revamp racial abilities. As it stands now some are good for pvp, some are good for pve but all or them are usefull to certain extend by different classes. Some racials are clearly ahead pvp wise - Undead and Humans, but human racial will drop in value when pvp offensive stat will come into play. Besides many ppls play what they think looks best (i'd say majority). If what, i see possible revamp of racials as another possibility for Blizzard to squeeze some cash out of customers.
    I think the problem is that some racials are good all the time PvE, and some are very situational. Trolls, worgen, goblins, and orcs, for example, get racials that are useful in almost all PvE encounters. Other races get racials that are only useful for certain specs in PvE (blood elves), on certain, rare encounters (humans, undead), or not useful at all (night elves, tauren).

For PvP, I think you're right.

Racials need to be balanced, so people arent encouraged to race change to benefit from x or y. Such as the Panda food bonus, I think a lot of players will swap to Panda for that..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thealexbobsy View Post
    [*]Dwarf
    - Stoneform [ Change ] (Gives your dwarf a stone looking texture - Can toggle on/off for cosmetic purposes.)
    - Increased Crit with Guns [ Remove ]
    - Archaeology Bonus [ Keep ]
    - Increased Expertise with Maces [ Remove ]
    * Allow Dwarves to summon a barrel of ale once every 2 hours to provide food and drink to all raid and party members.

/snip
    Because god forbid that you will actually have to think before you make a toon.

So you want to make the races more bland and boring ? And the only real difference between them would be ether only cosmetic / useless ?

A big fat NO ! The differences between the races is something i really like. if anything they should make the racials more stronger so that you really have to chose what class / race combo you pick.

for ones i hope i am feeding a troll

edit : meh ... maybe even out the racials for PVP but not for PvE
    Last edited by mmocc9310d0dbd; 2012-03-16 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lappen View Post
    No it isn't; 300 DPS is not OP regardless of your views on end-game. It just means that you and all those others acting like they are "min/maxers" have no idea how influential the racials are.

But do go on and pretend now that 300 DPS is "insanely OP" because you are a hardcore, min/maxing raider.
    It is big when you take into account that we're talking about a single person. You get a notable raid dps increase if everyone is the "correct" race for their class.

I'd also say that some utility talents are very strong (ex. blood elves on Cho'gall heroic).

Racials should be changed, but not in the way OP described.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh yeah, then make a few more million off race changes.

But I agree, they should give every race every man for himself.

Every other racial should just be flavor on use abilities. As in, forsaken could act like they're eating a corpse in pvp (not provide health) just as a taunt, Humans should fall asleep from being bored and unimaginative, Bloodelves could comb their hair or something... i dunno. But, this will never happen because that could make people less likely to race change and Blizz likes their monies.
    Last edited by Nitsuj; 2012-03-16 at 02:28 PM.