Poll: If offered, would you accept immortality?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

If offered, would you accept immortality?

This is something I have often wondered about. If someone was to offer you immortality, would you take it?
    To make it fair let us say that your financial etc position is dependent on how you lead you life as it is for mortals. so all things equal, all that changes is your mortality status. Would you be able to see your friends, family, pets, lovers perish around you while you keep living on or would you rather be at peace!

Personally, i am sick enough of this world in the time I have lived here and I would never want to be immortal in this world because to me, living in such a world, forever, is worse than whatever death has to offer. Also I firmly believe that there is more to life than what we perceive as ourselves and I like to think that when the curtain falls on my story and I move on, I find out what it was all about. I would rather know what was the meaning of what i just went through rather than go through the same thing over and over again.

How do you feel and why. Would you rather be immortal or let nature take it's course?

Ps: All that changes is mortal status. You have all your other mental and physical abilities at your disposal to make the best of your immortality but you start as what you are today.
    Last edited by igame; 2012-03-16 at 04:08 PM.

Deleted
    Being Immortal sounds great, but there has to be a limit. Living for all time would drive anybody insane. I would take Immortality only if there was a "suicide" option available to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Being Immortal sounds great, but there has to be a limit. Living for all time would drive anybody insane. I would take Immortality only if there was a "suicide" option available to me.
    Same here. Eventually you would get sick of what happends around you. A simple suicide option at any time would and i would accept it without doubt.
    Ex-Ensidia & Clarity-Twisting Nether member.

Deleted
    Yes for the simple reason that I want to see how far us humans can go before nature (or alienss...w/e) wipes us out. I'm interested in what humans are capable off if given enough time.

Deleted
    Yes, I would want to be immortal. I want to see it all.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    How would you be 'immortal' if you could just pick the scissors out of the drawer and stab yourself?

Of course I would want to be immortal. Not just because I don't want to die, but because I want to know as much about the universe as I can.

If my life were to end at a regular age, I would not know about 99.99999999% of the things there are to know about the universe.

Deleted
    if immortality also includes eternal youth, then probably yes. because who wants to grow old forever?

Deleted
    Yes. I can't stand the thought of my physical body failing me... I want to see what happens to the human race too.

Depends - do I get health and wealth to go with it ?

Seems being poor and feeling crap for eternity would be pretty much the worst nightmare imaginable.

If I were ageless and invulnerable, sure. If you got old or got into an accident and lost your mental functions, what would be the point?

Deleted
    I wont like to live forever. At some point in your life it will be like playing World of Warcraft for 7 years.. you just know everything, it's all the same very day, and you cant stand life anymore.

And should i pray to die then?

No. It's good that life has an end. That makes it precious.

Quote Originally Posted by mludd View Post
    Yes, I would want to be immortal. I want to see it all.
    But what do yo see now? Most of what you know or believe is news/propaganda that was master minded by some smart people and fed to us like fodder! How do you intend to see it "all", rmemeber as per the terms, immortality is not God mode, you will still need a job etc.

yes and would it become a time i get sick of living i would just put myself to sleep or so for some years then when i wake up, im revitalized

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Depends - do I get health and wealth to go with it ?

Seems being poor and feeling crap for eternity would be pretty much the worst nightmare imaginable.
    It can go with it if you manage it well, as per OP, all that changes is mortal status. You have all your other mental and physical abilities at your disposal to make the best of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Unless one is a complete sociopath, what would be the point of watching everyone you love die?
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Deleted
    Being immortal sounds great- u don't have to live as social standards dictates.

It also implies that u have no use for money, because u can't starve, need no shelter and such. Obtaining money is an option to make yourself comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    But what do yo see now? Most of what you know or believe is news/propaganda that was master minded by some smart people and fed to us like fodder! How do you intend to see it "all", rmemeber as per the terms, immortality is not God mode, you will still need a job etc.
    Money would not be a problem if you were immortal. If you saved modest amounts then after a century or two you could have significant reserves of money on hand, and likely be able to have a perpetual livable income based off your investment income alone.

Or just think how valuable the junk you collected over the years would eventually become.

Deleted
    Only if I can share immortality with loved ones. if not, no.

Yes, but only if I could also be youthful. I'm 34, this is a pretty good age, I could stay like this forever. The other thing is that I would have to be able to choose a way out too. Who would really want to be around if the rest of the race died to disease, war, aliens, famine, etc. Plus, I think I'd want to go before the Sun blew up.

You'd also have to amass wealth too. Who wants to work a crap job forever?