help with classes

Hey guys so im interested in starting up a rift account and just need some help with classes/builds. I played wow before this and my main was a ret paladin/warlock. My question is if there is any of the classes that are similar to a Ret paladin or possibly an affliction/destruction warlock. any help would be greatly appreciated.

From what I heard, the shaman soul of cleric is similar to ret paladin. Justicar is similar to protection paladin. As for the lock equivalent, there's possibly the warlock soul of the mage (never played that, personally), or the cabalist soul of the cleric (aoe shadow damage, with some dots as well). Pyromancer is pure fire damage, which is basically what a destruction warlock was, correct (only played demonology). My defiant cleric is cabalist, and it reminds me a lot of a warlock, and possibly shadow priest.

Warlock/Necomancer hybrid in the Mage calling would fit a WoW-like Warlock. Cleric calling has multiple melee DPS specs that function like older Paladins [no holy power nonsense]-- notably Justicar/Shaman/Sentinel or Justicar/Druid/Sentinel hybrids in that calling.

Classes in Rift are very different from Warcraft in that you are never "1 thing" in Rift. For example, if you roll a Cleric you will be expected to tank, raid heal, support, melee dps, ranged dps, have pets, have no pets and tank heal as the group desires.

One does not have dual specs in Rift. Instead you have 6 and freely are allowed to swap & switch.

cool thanks for the quick response! I hate the holy power crap as well and preferred my ret pally in BC era. @Fencers As far as dps goes the first builds you posted for the cleric are they roughly the same or is one better then the other. does it even matter or is it just a difference in like utility spells etc.

They can be both; different in utility, dps or healing. A Justicar/Shaman/Sentinel might be a tank, healer, glass cannon DPS or tanky-DPS.

Point distribution determines everything. Not necessarily having Justicar or Shaman equipped.

What Fencers is saying can be a little hard to understand for a player not familiar with Rift souls in-depth.

Justicar is a tanking tree with some healing, dps and utility in the lower tiers.
    Shaman is a melee dps tree with some generic dps boosts, tanking and utility in the lower tiers
    Sentinel is a healing tree with some spellpower boosts in the lower tiers.

So by combining the three in different ways you can get many vastly different setups.

Multiply by 8 souls per class and it gets very flexibile.

INquisitor (always forget how to spell that)Is realy nice for lvling.It's something like shadowpriest/holy priest smashed together.You'r dot heals you and you do massive aoe dmg once you get the talent for it i think it was at lvl 10.I'am pulling on mine 6 mobs doting everything and aoeing.Mobs are same lvl as me 20.

@kael - If you plan on making a mage as a first toon. I suggest going a necro/lock style build for leveling. Its very forgiving and once you get enough points into necro you get yourself a tank pet. And the low lvl one looks like an undead tank and can hold aggro unlike a voidwalker from WoW.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...zs.ceMI0VVx.-5

This is a sample spec for a necro/lock build you can follow if you want. After 12 points in necro you get your tank pet. Once you hit that wall that the system won't let you put points into one tree anymore. Start in the lock tree and put points in the void bolt one first then life leech. Then when you get soul purge make sure to use it when you can. It heals you and your pet. Making for a good source of damage to a target while keeping your pet up.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help guys much appreciated!

10+ Year Old Account
    Kael,

I would strongly suggest trying something new.

after 5 years as a warr tank, a year of pally healing and mage/hunter dps mains, I went in a new direction and i couldnt be happier. Rift is different than wow. If you only played ret/lock, try a melee rogue or a cleric battery (you can probably google this spec)

They are very very fun classes to play and with rogues you get ranged bow or explozives and support healing with a bard and with cleric you get tanking and healing and support as well as great DPS.

Seriously, try something new, you wont regret it.