I'm officially unsticking this as of 12/09/12. The beta isn't seeing major changes other than occasional tuning tweaks, and this thread has served its purpose, tracking beta changes for those without beta access.
Last updated: 04/08/2012
I have moved the in-progress change data to a new third post, and am converting this first post over to be a more clear and easy-to-read list of the upcoming changes, now that Mists of Pandaria has a set launch date and further changes are likely to be fewer and further between.
The changes listed here will JUST contain the new tooltips. If you want to know what the original tooltips were, you can check the third post below.
I avoided adjusting most scaling data when I started this, but I will be attempting to add that information back in. For the most part, it is likely to be relatively ugly math rather than a nice number, but that's how our database tooltips look. The scaling data will be entered in with variables (X, Y and the like), but with acronym tags that will let you see the actual ugly math bit if you mouse over the variable, like so; X. Hopefully that hits the sweet spot of being thorough but not blinding people with code.
I am not going to keep updating this whenever we have scaling values changing. They change often, especially as we approach a release candidate, so I will be focusing on mechanical changes primarily.
This thread is closed, but not dead. If you notice anything that has been overlooked or is new, please feel free to PM me about the new information or correction. If you wish to discuss anything in here, feel free to use an existing thread or, if there isn't one available on the topic, start a new thread for that purpose. If we get a massive infodump, please be aware that I'm not Superman and it will take me some time to update everything.
Shaman Changes for Mists of Pandaria
The talent system game-wide is being completely rewritten. Classes now get their necessary tools as Class or Spec Abilities, and talents are entirely optional additions.
Official Shaman MoP Talent Calculator (Updated from prior but not current with the beta)
- 6 talent points
- 18 talents
- Pick one talent of any three for any given tier
- New tiers at levels 15, 30, 45, 60, 75, and 90
Wowhead's MoP Talent Calculator (not official so take with a grain of salt, but usually more up-to-date than the above)
- Nature's Guardian - Whenever a damaging attack brings you below 30% health, your maximum health is increased by 25% for 10 sec and your threat level towards the attacker is reduced. This effect cannot occur more often than once every 30 sec.
- Stone Bulwark Totem - Instant - 1 min cooldown - Summons an Earth totem with 5 health at the feet of the caster for 30 sec that grants the caster a shield absorbing X damage for 10 sec, and up to an additional Y every 5 sec thereafter.
- Astral Shift - Instant - 2 min cooldown - Seek haven by shifting partially into the elemental planes, reducing damage taken by 40% for 6 sec.
- Frozen Power - Your Frost Shock now also roots the target in ice for 5s.
- Earthgrab Totem - Instant - 30 sec cooldown - Summons an Earth Totem with 100 health at the feet of the caster for 20 sec. The totem pulses every 5 sec, causing roots to ensnare the legs of all enemies within 10 yards for 5 sec, preventing movement. Enemies that have already been rooted once by the totem will instead have their movement speed reduced by 50%. Replaces Earthbind Totem.
- Windwalk Totem - Instant - 1 min cooldown - Summons an Air Totem with 5 health at the feet of the caster for 6 sec. granting raid members within 30 yards immunity to movement-impairing effects.
- Call of the Elements - Instant - 3 min cooldown - When activated, immediately finishes the cooldown on all totems with a base cooldown shorter than 3 minutes.
- Totemic Restoration - If a totem is replaced or destroyed before its duration expires naturally, its cooldown is reduced in proportion to the lost duration, up to a maximum of 50% of the full cooldown.
- Totemic Projection - Instant - 10 sec cooldown - Relocates your active totems to the specified location.
- Elemental Mastery - Instant - 2 min cooldown - Call upon elemental forces, empowering you with 30% haste for 20 sec.
- Ancestral Swiftness - Instant - 1 min cooldown - Your next Nature spell with a base casting time less than 10 sec. becomes an instant cast spell. Passive: Increases spell and melee haste by 5%.
- Echo of the Elements - When one of your spells causes direct damage or healing, you have a chance to gain Echo of the Elements, duplicating that spell's effect.
- Healing Tide Totem - Instant - 3 min cooldown - Summons a Water Totem with 10% of the caster's health for 10 sec. The Healing Tide Totem pulses every 2 sec, healing the 5 most injured raid members within 40 for X.
- Ancestral Guidance - Instant - 2 min cooldown - When you deal direct damage or healing for the next 10 seconds, 40% of that amount is copied as healing to up to 3 nearby injured party or raid members.
- Conductivity - When you cast Healing Wave, Greater Healing Wave, or Healing Surge on a target located within your Healing Rain, allies within the Healing Rain share healing equal to 20% of the initial healing done. If your Lightning Bolt, Chain Lightning, Earth Shock, or Stormstrike damages an enemy standing in your Healing Rain, allies within the Healing Rain share healing equal to 50% of the initial damage done.
- Unleashed Fury - Your elemental weapon imbues are empowered, granting additional effects when triggered with Unleash Weapon:
- Flametongue Weapon - Increases the enemy target's damage taken from your Lightning Bolt abilities by 30% for 10 sec.
- Windfury Weapon - For 8 sec, your melee auto-attacks can trigger Static Shock.
- Earthliving Weapon - Further increases the effectiveness of your next single-target heal on the targeted ally by 50%.
- Frostbrand Weapon - You leech heat from the enemy target, gaining 50% movement speed for 4 sec.
- Rockbiter Weapon - You take 40% reduced damage from the enemy target for 5 sec.
- Primal Elementalist - Your Earth and Fire Elemental Totems draw forth powerful primal elementals directly from the elemental planes. These servitors are 50% more powerful than regular elementals, act as pets directly under your control, and gain additional abilities.
- Primal Fire Elemental
- Fire Blast - Instant - 6 sec cooldown - Inflicts Fire damage to an enemy.
- Fire Nova - 2 sec cast - 10 sec cooldown - Inflicts Fire damage to nearby enemies.
- Immolate - 2 sec cast - 10 sec cooldown - Burns an enemy, then inflicts additional Fire damage every 3 sec. for 21 sec.
- Empower - Instant (Channeled) - 10 sec cooldown - Empowers the elemental's creator with fiery energy, increasing all damage dealt by 5% and healing done by 10% while the channel continues.
- Primal Earth Elemental
- Angered Earth - Instant 5 sec cooldown - Taunts and causes additional high threat to all enemies within 15 yards.
- Pulverize - Instant - 40 sec cooldown - Smashes an enemy with a rocky fist, dealing 150% of the damage of a normal attack, and stunning the target for 4 sec.
- Harden Skin - Instant - 60 sec cooldown - The caster's skin hardens into pure granite, reducing all damage taken by 40% for 10 sec.
- Reinforce - Instant (Channeled) - 10 sec cooldown - Surrounds the elemental's creator with an earthen shield, reducing all damage taken by 20% and increasing healing done by 10% while the channel continues.
- Elemental Blast - 2 sec cast - 12 sec cooldown - Harness and direct the raw power of the elements towards an enemy target, dealing X Elemental damage and increasing the caster's Critical Strike, Haste, or Mastery by 3000 for 8 sec.
Some tidbits to keep in mind with regard to these talents;
- Echo of the Elements was stated to work like Dragonwrath's proc, roughly speaking.
- Totemic Restoration is not a 1:1 proportion, it is 1:2; losing 50% of the duration of a totem reduces the cooldown by 25%. Losing 75% of the duration loses 37.5% of the cooldown.
Prime Glyphs have been removed. Many Primes, which were static boosts, were deliberately changed to be Majors; this change under most circumstances has resulted in a reduction in power, to be more in-line with the intended value of a Major glyph. This list is complete; all of our MoP glyphs are listed herein.
New Shaman Class Abilities:
- Capacitor Totem. Level 63 - Instant - 45 sec cooldown - Summons an Air totem with 5 health at the feet of the caster that gathers electrical energy from the surrounding air and then explodes after 5 sec to stun all enemies within 8 yards for 5 sec.
- Stormlash Totem Level 78 - 5.9% of Base Mana - Instant - 5 min cooldown - Summons an Air Totem with 5 health at the feet of the caster, empowering allies within 30 yards with lightning. While empowered, allies' spells and attacks will trigger bursts of electricity, dealing additional Nature damage to their target. Lasts 10 sec.
- Grace of Air - Passive - Level 80 - Empowering winds swirl around the Shaman, granting all nearby party and raid members 3000 Mastery.
- Burning Wrath - Passive - Level 40 - Fiery elemental energy emanates from the Shaman, empowering all nearby party and raid members and increasing their spell power by 10%.
New Level 87 ability:
Ascendance - Instant - 3 min cooldown - The Shaman surrenders his physical form to the power of the elements, transforming into a being of raw elemental energy for 15 sec.
- Elemental: While in the form of a Flame Ascendant, Lava Burst has no cooldown and Chain Lightning is empowered to become Lava Beam.
- Enhancement: While in the form of an Air Ascendant, auto-attacks and Stormstrike deal pure Nature damage and have a 30-yard range.
- Restoration: While in the form of a Water Ascendant, all healing done is duplicated and distributed evenly among nearby allies.
Changes to Shaman class abilities:
- Crits are now 200% baseline for all classes, for both spells and physical attacks.
- Ghost Wolf - now instant cast, no movement speed protection (though see Glyph of Ghost Wolf)
- Wind Shear - 12s cooldown, 3s lockout. This is part of a widespread change to interrupts; most are 15s cooldowns or longer.
- Healing Wave, Chain Heal, and Greater Healing Wave are all Resto-specific.
- Lava Burst is Elemental- and Resto-specific.
- Fire Elemental and Earth Elemental Totems have a 1 minute duration, 5 minute cooldown, down from 2m/10m.
- Flame Shock - duration buffed from 18s to 24s
- Cleanse Spirit removes all Curses, not just one Curse, but has an 8s cooldown. This is part of a widespread change to dispel mechanics.
- Healing Stream Totem - Now single target, and with at most 50% uptime.
- All Shaman will bring +10% Spellpower and +3000 Mastery buffs, Elemental will bring +5% spell haste, Enhancement will bring +10% melee haste as well.
- Earthbind Totem - Instant - 30 sec cooldown - Summons an Earthbind Totem with 5 health at the feet of the caster for 20 sec that slows the movement speed of enemies within 10 yards
- Water and Lightning Shields no longer have charges that can cause them to be removed by taking damage, and can stack with other Shaman's Earth Shields;
- Water Shield - The caster is surrounded by globes of water, granting 2,138 mana per 5 sec. When a spell, melee or ranged attack hits the caster, 2928 mana is restored to the caster. This expends one water globe. Only one globe will activate every few seconds. Lasts 60 min. Only one of your Elemental Shields can be active on you at once.
- Lightning Shield - Instant - The caster is surrounded by a reactive lightning barrier. When a spell, melee or ranged attack hits the caster, the attacker will be struck for X Nature damage. This effect may only occur once every few seconds. Lasts 60 min. Only one of your Elemental Shields can be active on you at once.
Elemental Spec Abilities:
- Elemental Fury still adds 50% to Crit damage, and it's been confirmed Elemental will crit for 250% normal damage.
- Lava Burst is no longer included in Shamanism, but the cast time has been changed to reflect the after-Shamanism value of 1.5s, meaning the effects have been baked into Lava Burst as there's no need to have it be both Elemental-exclusive AND modified by an Elemental passive
- Shamanism - Increases the damage of Lightning Bolt by 50% and Chain Lightning by 70%, and reduces the casting time of both spells by 0 sec, and removes the cooldown from Chain Lightning.
- Elemental Focus - When you land a non-periodic critical strike with a Fire, Frost, or Nature damage spell, you enter a Clearcasting state. The Clearcasting state reduces the mana cost of your next 2 damage or healing spells by 25%, increases spell damage done by 10%, and increases single-target healing done by 50%.
- Lava Surge - Now not only resets Lava Burst, but also makes the next cast instant.
- Rolling Thunder - While the charge cap is reduced to 7, in practice this is still 6 additional charges over the normal, it has simply been adjusted to the new normal of a passive shield, rather than one with 3 charges.
- Spiritual Insight - Shaman - Elemental Spec - Increases your mana pool by 400%. Reduces the cooldown of your Earth Shock and Flame Shock spells by 1 sec.
Enhancement Spec Abilities:
- Dual Wield - No longer increases chance to hit, as the new dual wield hit/expertise system no longer requires it.
- Mental Quickness - Your spell power is now equal to 55% of your attack power, and you no longer benefit from other sources of spell power. Your instant beneficial, damaging, and totem spells cost 75% less mana. Your melee attacks have a 40% chance to immediately restore 5% of your mana.
- Searing Flames - When your Searing Totem deals damage or your Fire Elemental lands a melee attack, the damage dealt by your Flametongue Weapon is increased by 8% for 15 sec. Stacks up to 5 times. Your Lava Lash ability will consume this effect, dealing 20% increased damage for each application present.
- Spirit Walk - Instant 2 min cooldown - Can be cast in Ghost Wolf - Removes all movement impairing effects and increases your movement speed by 60% for 15 sec.
- Feral Spirit is now a Guardian, and no longer has a pet bar.
- Spirit Bite - Instant - 5 sec cooldown - Your Spirit Wolves bite the enemy, causing 96 to 144 Nature damage.
- Windfury Weapon - 8.2% of Base Mana - Instant - Requires Melee Weapon - Imbue the Shaman's weapon with wind. Each hit has a 20% chance of triggering three extra attacks with 17,100 bonus attack power. Lasts 60 minutes.
- Flurry - After dealing a melee critical strike, your attack speed increases by 20%, and you gain 50% additional benefit from Haste granted by items. Lasts 15 sec, or until 5 melee attacks have occurred.
- Static Shock - Tooltip adjusted to reflect the lack of charges on Lightning Shield.
Restoration Spec Abilities:
- Purification - Increases the effectiveness of your healing spells by 25%, and the healing done by your Water totems by an additional 50%. In addition, heals you cast increase allies' maximum health by 10% of the amount healed, up to a maximum of 10% of their health.
- Riptide - The 25% buff to Chain Heal no longer consumes the Riptide HoT effect.
- Spiritual Insight - Increases your mana pool by 400%,and increases your chance to hit with Lightning Bolt, Lava Burst, Hex, and Flame Shock by 15%.
- Earthliving Weapon - Imbue the Shaman's weapon with earthen life. Increases spell healing by 2,873 and gives each heal a 20% chance to trigger the Earthliving effect on the target, healing an additional X over 12 sec. Single-target direct heals on targets below 35% of maximum health will always trigger this effect. Lasts 60 minutes.
The ELW change still has an increased proc chance for CH and HR, it's merely reduced by the same AoE modifier as the normal procs; the standard is a 20% chance, modified by 0.5 for CH or 0.3 for HR, bringing their chances per jump/tick to 10%/6% respectively. Sub-35% health, single-target direct heals are 100%, CH is 50% per jump, and HR is 30% per tick.