Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Notice when turning in space?

Me and my friend is watching the Star Wars - Clone Wars (the animeted one) and we notice that when Annakin is turning fast in space they "feel it" liek when turning fast in a car on earth

now we started to debatt if this is true or if you wouldnt notice anything in space (as the gravity is forced to the ship and not outside the ship (as in car on earth))

would you acctually feel the "force" when truning and dive etc in space, loop etc, or you just feel nothing and just see the outside spine / move?
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 | AMD FX-8320 @ 4.5GHz | Corsair H80i | 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz Cl9 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Vapor-X GHz Edition |
    XFX ProSeries XXX 850W | Fractal Design Define R4 | Samsung 840 ProSerie 256GB | 3TB HDD

Yes, you feel gravity because of momentum. The ship moving to the left causes you to feel resistance on your right, etc. It's basically the same thing as driving a car, except you don't constantly feel like being pushed downwards due to earth's gravity, but you definitely feel it when changing direction.

Deleted
    Archaeon is correct. You would absolutely feel it. Simply put, when you move in a straight like (along with the ship) and the ship turns, you will feel the force that the ship is exerting on you to change the direction of your movement too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no idea about the physics, BUT I know it would be incredibly lame to watch space combat where the pilots just sit there and look like nothing's happening
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Gaga View Post
    Mages are balanced. It's just that they aren't balanced for Azeroth.

As others said, you would feel it because you body is in motion in one direction and the ship would be moving in an opposite direction.

The reason in Star Trek that you do not fly against the wall when they go into warp or are zooming around in a space fight is because they have inertial dampeners, which will negates that force.

Deleted
    apparently if you just build some inertial dampeners you fine ! think thats what they did in star trek stopped you getting spaltted against wall

seems this is just a carbon copy of previous post.....

actually if anything, in most movies the forces involved is downplayed significantly.

Without "inertial dampeners" humans in spacecraft turning hard left/right at the speeds they are going would be akin to feeling 10+g's or even more (ie you would feel 10x your actual mass) In reality inertial damperners can exist but we are many years away from that kind of technology.

Realistically "space battles" will play out far differently to what most scifi movies show us.

Quote Originally Posted by akamurdoch View Post
    apparently if you just build some inertial dampeners you fine ! think thats what they did in star trek stopped you getting spaltted against wall

seems this is just a carbon copy of previous post.....
    That would be hilarious if somehow the inertial dampeners where missing and everyone went splat :P

(In a sick and twisted sort of way)

I think the better question would be, could a human being survive such a g-force?

Quote Originally Posted by Drofu View Post
    I think the better question would be, could a human being survive such a g-force?
    that depends.

People have survived crashes with g forces in the 100's of g, but they have also been killed with 1/10th of that.

So the question is what can the human body reliably survive? About 6g is the practical limit without a "gsuit". Thats about 59m/s of acceleration, a decent amount but way too slow to be practical in huge space battles i would have thought. But even at 6g you cannot maintain that for a long time, the human body just dosent like it. On the upside the body does not feel velocity so it dosent matter how fast you actually travel.

For LONG(hours+) term space flight, 1-1.5g is all i would want to be facing, so its going to take a long time to get anywhere.

Think of an aircraft accelerating down a runway, that feels pretty strong right? Well no not really, that would be just over 1g. Some rollercoasters get upto 3g but thats only for a few seconds, then your done, imgaine having that feeling for minutes on end. Not pretty.
    Last edited by TheViper; 2012-03-19 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheViper View Post
    that depends.

People have survived crashes with g forces in the 100's of g, but they have also been killed with 1/10th of that.

So the question is what can the human body reliably survive? About 6g is the practical limit without a "gsuit". Thats about 59m/s of acceleration, a decent amount but way too slow to be practical in huge space battles i would have thought. But even at 6g you cannot maintain that for a long time, the human body just dosent like it. On the upside the body does not feel velocity so it dosent matter how fast you actually travel.

For LONG(hours+) term space flight, 1-1.5g is all i would want to be facing, so its going to take a long time to get anywhere.

Think of an aircraft accelerating down a runway, that feels pretty strong right? Well no not really, that would be just over 1g. Some rollercoasters get upto 3g but thats only for a few seconds, then your done, imgaine having that feeling for minutes on end. Not pretty.
    Now according to some star wars wiki page!

The T-65 X-Wing starfighter could travel at 1,050 km/h(661 mph). An F-22 could travel at max speed 1600 mph.(Though I looked around and someone said 1873 max) Granted it would make a much tighter turn than say an F-22 can PULL 10 g's max.(There is argument as to whether the jet itself could sustain that)

661mph velocity is way too slow to be an effective "fighter" in space considering the huge distances required. You know the scene at the end of ep4 where they leave the rebel base and fly to the deathstar? Well thats somewhere in the order of 50,000km+ and it takes quite a bit less than 50hours to get there On the upside, theres no air, so you will always get maximum acceleration whatever that may be.

Yeh a F22 can pull 10g's, in fact we could make aircraft to withstand more, but as of yet we havent since the pilots cannot sustain it. Humans are the limiting factor. Of course the "fighter" plane of the future will have no pilot so it will be able to do some crazy stuff!

10+ Year Old Account
    that depends.

That's the only part that I disagree with. Velocity doesn't impact inertia directly. It is change in velocity that causes g-forces and such. You could go a trillion miles per hour in a straight line in space and still be weightless so long as the build up to said trillion mph was gradual. The instant you have to change direction or change velocity quickly, however, your organs and bones would break :P

Anywho the reason I say I disagree is because you could get to your destination quickly if you build/reduce velocity gradually but constantly.

661mph velocity is way too slow to be an effective "fighter" in space considering the huge distances required. You know the scene at the end of ep4 where they leave the rebel base and fly to the deathstar? Well thats somewhere in the order of 50,000km+ and it takes quite a bit less than 50hours to get there On the upside, theres no air, so you will always get maximum acceleration whatever that may be.

Yeh a F22 can pull 10g's, in fact we could make aircraft to withstand more, but as of yet we havent since the pilots cannot sustain it. Humans are the limiting factor. Of course the "fighter" plane of the future will have no pilot so it will be able to do some crazy stuff!
    Ahh I read more, that is speed while within the atmosphere. Then I read something else saying it could be .5 above the speed of light, but I guess that would be hyper drive and don't think they can turn while in hyperdrive. I guess we will never know for sure!

Wonder how fast we can make a plane w/o a pilot...

Quote Originally Posted by Jodah View Post
    That's the only part that I disagree with. Velocity doesn't impact inertia directly. It is change in velocity that causes g-forces and such. You could go a trillion miles per hour in a straight line in space and still be weightless so long as the build up to said trillion mph was gradual. The instant you have to change direction or change velocity quickly, however, your organs and bones would break :P

Anywho the reason I say I disagree is because you could get to your destination quickly if you build/reduce velocity gradually but constantly.
    Umm at 1g acceleration its going to take you years to get anywhere quickly on the cosmic scale, thats what i meant. So yeh it will take along time to get anywhere. I know your velocity is irrelevant, in fact i said that in the post

---------- Post added 2012-03-20 at 08:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Drofu View Post
    Ahh I read more, that is speed while within the atmosphere. Then I read something else saying it could be .5 above the speed of light, but I guess that would be hyper drive and don't think they can turn while in hyperdrive. I guess we will never know for sure!

Wonder how fast we can make a plane w/o a pilot...
    well currently theres no known way to move beyond the speed of light, but thats a whole another discussion.

Max speed? well with todays metallurgy and rocket technology, in the realms of mach10 is probably on the mark. But then again, flying in space is still a whole new ballgame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Umm at 1g acceleration its going to take you years to get anywhere quickly on the cosmic scale, thats what i meant. So yeh it will take along time to get anywhere. I know your velocity is irrelevant, in fact i said that in the post

---------- Post added 2012-03-20 at 08:28 AM ----------

well currently theres no known way to move beyond the speed of light, but thats a whole another discussion.

Max speed? well with todays metallurgy and rocket technology, in the realms of mach10 is probably on the mark. But then again, flying in space is still a whole new ballgame.
    Guess it's just a difference of our interpretation of "a long time."

1-G acceleration is 9.81 meters per second. In 10 minutes of constant 1-G acceleration you would reach 5886 meters per second. That is roughly 13000 miles per hour. Every ten minutes it would double. It would still take days/months/years to get to your destination but it is doable within a single life time(assuming it isn't 70+ light years away). That is until (if) we figure out how to break the speed of light but that's likely a several generations (at least) away.

13000mph is nothing. 1g just isnt enough to get anywhere any in decent amount of time. Id consider a lifetime just a bit too long me thinks :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer1989 View Post
    Me and my friend is watching the Star Wars - Clone Wars (the animeted one) and we notice that when Annakin is turning fast in space they "feel it" liek when turning fast in a car on earth

now we started to debatt if this is true or if you wouldnt notice anything in space (as the gravity is forced to the ship and not outside the ship (as in car on earth))

would you acctually feel the "force" when truning and dive etc in space, loop etc, or you just feel nothing and just see the outside spine / move?
    Absolutely. If you're accelerating in space and you turn you'll feel the g-force anywhere you are.

If you want science fiction examples, Battlestar Galactica viper pilots dealt with g-force all the time. Also, look at 2001 a space odyssey, the entire ship rotated to simulate gravity in the living spaces, but the centre that didn't rotate was zero g.

Accelerating in space there will always be some force pushing you back. Rapid changes in acceleration or direction will increase this feeling.

u guys musta been high or bored to think of that while watching a cartoon lol