Getting into PvP

I have been a off and on wow player for quite some time now, and just wanted a simple question answered. If I were to start PvPing right now whats the best way to get resilience gear, PvE or PvP?

I ask this question because I am unsure if I would just get totally destroyed in PvP and just end up quitting out of frustration. So would it be viable to go into a BG with no resilience or should I just PvE for honor for a bit?

Thanks

Best way is to get friends. Not only will it increase your win rate just because you are playing with people you synergise well with, they will know you are slightly under geared and help you cope with that weakness, and potentially even use it to their advantage.

You'd be surprised how much you can wreck an enemy group when they focus on the under geared guy.
    RETH

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Best way is to get friends. Not only will it increase your win rate just because you are playing with people you synergise well with, they will know you are slightly under geared and help you cope with that weakness, and potentially even use it to their advantage.

You'd be surprised how much you can wreck an enemy group when they focus on the under geared guy.
    If only I had friends to play with, unfortunately all of mine have left =[

Run some dungeons and get pvp gear until you reach around 2k resilience, then go watch some videos on youtube about how to pvp with your class. Then give it a shot, and learn as you go.

So would it be viable to go into a BG with no resilience
    Well, this is pretty much what I did... I'm very new to PvP, and pretty new to the game overall. A friend encouraged me to jump into Tol Barad, and I did, without any resilience gear the first time. You'll get killed a lot, of course, but I had enough fun with it to continue... and now I have a couple of pieces of honor gear, so things are improving, and I'm having fun

It's certainly viable to run into a random BG at any gear level/health pool. I'm not saying you'll do well - but you'll be focused, farmed, camped, laughed at, etc, until you get some better gear. It's the worst gear grind for PvPers. If you win a lot of BGs, you can have a full set of Honor gear within 2 weeks. Maybe even one week. My cousin got a full Mage honor set in one weekend, playing from maybe 10am - 2am, with maybe 3-4 half hour breaks in there. Of course, me and a few guildies were with him, so us in our nearly full Conquest gear kinda wrecked, but hey. You can get gear relatively fast.

Deleted
    You can get a full set of honour gear in 2-3 days if you run Tol Barad whenever you can and chain either random BGs or the Call to Arms. Call to Arms Alterac Valley or Isle of Conquest might be among the less painful Call to Arms for an under-geared player, as the raid sizes are large and you can to some extent avoid duelling other players. Consider using some crafted pvp gear to start out if you go this route.

Gearing up through BGs will also give you a headstart on Conquest points, which is where the real grind begins.

Converting JPs into honour is also perfectly viable, but if you want to get into PvP, you may prefer PvP to PvE as a way to gear up.

I went into BGs with zero res.. decked myself in epics in a few days. You will get killed easily, but try to help with things that don't require gear like staying at bases reporting incomings. Or maybe sneak around and do a ninja cap while people are busy fighting. Or be the one riding the demos/glaives since your gear sucks anyway.

I went into TB and worked my way up, Call to Arms also help out a lot, be on the look out for when these BGs pop up. Also, check out your spec/talents as some of them might not be in your build so check it out since this can be a big boost to your survivability.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only reason you would do PvE, is if you were a tank-capable class.

Otherwise, PvP is faster. You can only benefit from the daily quest for random BGs so many times, so to start it may be better just to chain AVs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston View Post
    The only reason you would do PvE, is if you were a tank-capable class.

Otherwise, PvP is faster. You can only benefit from the daily quest for random BGs so many times, so to start it may be better just to chain AVs.
    I have to agree with this.

I'd also like to state a personal belief though. Going in with no resilience might benefit you simply because you can still try to stay alive for as long as possible, and while you most likely will not score a kill, you may be able to grow with your character and understand it's mechanics to stay alive better -- ultimately leading to you being able to stay alive, and score a kill, once you're geared.

That's just my opinion, though. It's how it works out for me on most classes, generally. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    just die a lot

get shit on by fotm reroll rogues who think they are good at the game

Maybe you'll be able to shit back on them later, if you're at least 10 times as good as they are

It takes like 50 dunegon runs to get the jp to honor cap a few times. i'd rather just go afk during a cta queue than run dungeons with some of the world's dumbest people.

a dungeon can take anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours to complete, depending on how long the people in your group have been nomming on paint chips. BGs are sometimes capped at 25 minutes and most games like isle of 40 man and av people just do everything they can to prevent turtles.

but incase that did not really convince you, in other words; you get like 200 honor per lost game, and the queues are extremely short. it's not going to hurt you to try to think of ways to counteract your enemies once you obtain equipment, and the gain is just much faster than farming JP.