Thread: Caitlyn?

Caitlyn?

So, I bought Caitlyn yesterday and I am thoroughly enjoying her, but I need a bit of help with the build.

I buy like this:

Doran's B. At start -> Boots -> Doran's B. -> Zerk Greaves -> B.F. Sword -> Vampiric -> Infinity -> Zeal -> Bloodthirster -> Phantom

However, I notice that I run out of mana quite a lot, which kinda gimps my killing ability...

Can anyone help me out with this, please? I'd greatly appreciate any help.

early game i wouldnt spam so much on the q and the traps unless gank is coming in or you need to poke to get some more lane dominance. if your spending ur mana to farm creeps id invest in a wriggles after you get your boots (t1) then get t2 boots and a dorans if your behind. the wriggles is great armor dmg lifesteal and a free ward and it helps you out sooooo much on farm. i pick it up every time i play cait for obvious reasons. i do agree though shes mana hungry through the whole game and unless you can steal a blue from somewere youll be sacrificing a ton of damage some were for it. only alternative would be a banshees for the xxx mana it gives which you should be putting in your build if the enemy team isnt completely worthless.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can always buy a manamume. I wouldnt build it but if it allows you to be more effective then why not?

10+ Year Old Account
    Stop spamming your abilities. There's no need.

Never really thought about Banshee's.. Should I buy it early on to help with that mana? After I get some AD under my belt of course.

I'm using 4 mana regen/lvl blues (+ 5 mr/level) for mana, but to be honest mana on Caitlyn shouldnt be a problem, I would just adjust your build a little bit and build phantom straight after Infinity, after Phantom build either Last Whisper or Bloodthirster depending on enemies armor.
    At the point you have Infinity + Dancer you shouldnt use skills in straight combat (Q skill that is) you'll just lay down trap here and there and use net for escape if needed, save Q and R for runners.
    For lanning, to be honest Caitlyn is not AD champion that has mana problems for me, although I'm rarely using Q for farm (it pushes lane and makes you more vulnerable to ganks).

Two good options:
    A) Lane with Soraka
    B) More optimal use of your abilities. Unless they're pushing the lane against you, you should be able to CS just fine without Qing every cooldown. A couple smart trap spots are all you need for early game unless you get a gank opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by laevateinn101 View Post
    Never really thought about Banshee's.. Should I buy it early on to help with that mana? After I get some AD under my belt of course.
    You don't want a banshee's veil on Caitlyn. Ever. If you build a defensive item, no matter how hard you were beating them, carries like vayne and sivir and tristana and pretty much everyone will outscale you. With cait you shouldnt really be using q on cooldown. Just harrass with auto attacks, your range is your greatest strenght after all.
    Signature by Tacy :]

Most of Caitlyn's early game damage comes from her Auto Attack. Her Q should really just be used to finish off anyone who is running away or to get some farm. Don't spam your abilities and you should be fine. You could also lane with a Soraka. That helps a lot.

Thanks to JustintimeSS for the awesome sig!

Quote Originally Posted by Thigrai View Post
    You don't want a banshee's veil on Caitlyn. Ever. If you build a defensive item, no matter how hard you were beating them, carries like vayne and sivir and tristana and pretty much everyone will outscale you. With cait you shouldnt really be using q on cooldown. Just harrass with auto attacks, your range is your greatest strenght after all.
    You wouldn't even consider a QSS or GA really late game?

I think Caitlyn is the most auto-attack oriented character in the game... During the laning phase you probably won't want to use Piltover Peacemaker much as it pushes up the wave as others have mentioned. And while it has great AD scaling, once you have some bonus attack speed, using Q is a DPS loss unless hitting multiple targets (due to its one-second cast time, and the fact that you might not hit).

And of course, you wouldn't use W or E on cooldown for DPS, just occasionally for utility..

So basically, in an 'ideal' team fight for Caitlyn, you might not use Q, W, or E at all, and maybe even not R. =p

That said, you shouldn't need +mana gear. If you want to go something like 21/0/9 for mana masteries, that may be acceptable.. but yeah, if you're running low on mana, you're probably using Peacemaker more than you should.

10+ Year Old Account
    What I like to do is get my opponent about half then run in and shoot a trap behind them. They poke me but try to retreat into my trap. Then AA and Q. By now the trap expired and they are out of range so I flash toward them ignite and 1 AA should finish them off for an early kill.

I stopped buying a dorans blade. It may be a little extra damage but it's a pretty big set back from your core items early game. I've been buying a t1 boots and 2 hp pots. If my first back was long enough I'll get a bf sword otherwise vamp scepter. I usually build the bloodthirster first because early on I prefer the sustain compared to infinitys extra damage. Plus infinity costs a lot more. After infinity I build a phantom then a zeal and the game is usually over
    Last edited by Miley; 2012-03-20 at 05:40 AM.

Deleted
    As many has said, don't spam your abilites.

And disregard the manamune idea, while it looks like a good idea, it is not. I could start listing a dozen of reasons, but i won't bother you unless you really want it.

Anyway, the key is to use your abilities when NEEDED. It is not needed to use it to harass the enemy.
    IS your support Taric? His Stun -> His W -> Your Q = Huge burst. Now THAT works.

Soraka is a bad support for Caitlyn imo, i'd much rather have Taric or Sona, but that's just me.

As a sidenote, Banshees isn't bad, but i see no reason to get it just for the mana. You'll be getting it "late" anyway, where you won't need to mana to harass or kill enemies.
    Banshee's is good if they have a fed AP mid with a strong nuke ult (or just long CD at least), like Veigar or Annie. Other than that, it's all about position. Won't go into that, though :P

Cait has the longest range in the game baseline. Only lvl 12(13?) Trist and Kog'maw with W active outranges Cait. Use it to your advantage!

Good luck.

EDIT: Oh ya, about the start item. Is your support Sona/Soraka/Alistar/Kayle? Feel free to pick up a Doran Blade if you want to.
    Is your support... anyone else? Boots + pots.

You need sustain. If your support doesn't have it, you must.
    Last edited by mmocd37cb64f78; 2012-03-20 at 10:06 AM.

Start with either a dorans blade or boots + 3 pots (depending on your support, the enemy lane AND the enemy jungler!)

1st priority would be to get 2 dorans and t1 boots

Afterwards it depends on your performance and the enemy. If you're facing an aggressive botlane or trade quite often, feel free to get a 3rd dorans blade but not more! Against an AD heavy enemy team getting wrigles isn't a bad idea because it provides sustain (lifesteal) and some nice armor which let's you make better trades in lane.

If you can farm well and don't need the bonus survivability from a wrigles go vamp. scepter -> Infinity edge. Afterwards Zeal into phantom dancer. When you've got a wrigles the next item depends on all other champions. Either go IE or PD now. IE offers more damage output while PD offers higher mobility (= safer and easier to hit high priority targets). Afterwards the other one.

Boots are depend on the enemy team. Mercs vs CC heavy enemies, Berserk vs no CC/an enemy team that won't reach you with the CC. In some rare cases even Ninja tabbies are worth it if they allow you to constantly attack because you survive.

If the enemy got deadly CC for you (WW, Urgot and Malz ult cannot be cleansed. The only counter would be QSS!): get a QSS (quicksilver sash). If the enemy got a lot of champions that dive you (irelia, tryn, Akali) think about getting GA but Cait can deal with them better than most ad carries due to good trap placement.

Hope this helps a bit

Quote Originally Posted by laevateinn101 View Post
    So, I bought Caitlyn yesterday and I am thoroughly enjoying her
    Giggidy...

I personally don"t rush t2 boots so quick in lane phase. Also don't spam your Q so much, save it for harassing when you can.