Poll: How would you best define yourself?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Vegetarianism and spirituality

Ok, I'll try to keep this as neutral as possible.
    Having a discussion with vegetarian people most of the time it sooner or later appeared to me we were lacking the materialistic common ground (even when they called themselves "atheist" at first). I started to wonder whether it was something with the people I know or it is a widespread pattern.

By "spirituality" I mean any kind of metaphysical belief (e.g. karma) that holds forth we are more than mere physical matter. Not necessarily a religion.

EDIT: The two things do not have to be related, I'm not asking if you are vegetarian because of your beliefs.
    Last edited by capitano666; 2012-03-19 at 11:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Well I do have a penis attached to me as well but I dont know 'a lot' about it, I dont even know how it tastes. Maybe you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.

Quote Originally Posted by capitano666 View Post
    Ok, I'll try to keep this as neutral as possible.
    Most vegetarians I know do it for a number of reasons. Perceived (true or not) health reasons, desire to treat animals humanely, simple distaste for meat... I don't personally know any that do it for spiritual reasons, although I know they are out there (I've traveled in India, for example).

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Most vegetarians I know do it for a number of reasons. Perceived (true or not) health reasons, desire to treat animals humanely, simple distaste for meat... I don't personally know any that do it for spiritual reasons, although I know they are out there (I've traveled in India, for example).
    Yes I'm aware of the several reasons behind vegetarianism, however more than once while I was having a conversation with a vegetarian I got struck by the sentence "we are not only matter after all" or something along this line. And when it happen it is usually surprising because the discussion up to that point had led me to believe that was a common ground.
    Well I do have a penis attached to me as well but I dont know 'a lot' about it, I dont even know how it tastes. Maybe you do.
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno. Most of the vegetarians, vegans, and health nuts I've talked to were holier-than-thou snobs who mistakenly think organic/free-range food is healthier or more earth friendly. The only one I can think of that isn't like that is my sister and she now eats meat after her husband "forced" her to eat a johnny's hot dog (local hot dog chain. Their hot dogs are like sex...only better.) Needless to say I didn't talk to them long enough to get into any spiritual discussions.

Deleted
    My conviction in a materialist concept of the cosmos cemented my decision to go vegetarian and I haven't looked back since.

15+ Year Old Account
    it depends on the vegetarian. some choose the lifestyle for their beliefs, some choose it for health reasons.

Deleted
    God bless the atheistic meat eaters.

Pff. I eat so much meat. I mean, like, everyday I'm eating meat. Burgers, steak, chicken, if it was sentient at some point, I'm eating it. Yum.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    God bless the atheistic meat eaters.
    yeah :P

well so far looks like the people I talked with are nuts, or voters aren't answering the truth. I should have mentioned that most of the people I talked with called themselves atheists at first, and then irrational ideas like karma popped out
    Last edited by capitano666; 2012-03-19 at 10:37 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    I don't eat meat. Has nothing to do with my beliefs.
    Same with me. Doesn't mean I don't believe in "something" though. It's more like a belief in god but there is probably no heaven or hell and god probably doesn't do anything to neither good or bad people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    Pff. I eat so much meat. I mean, like, everyday I'm eating meat. Burgers, steak, chicken, if it was sentient at some point, I'm eating it. Yum.
    There be a joke in there......a joke in bad taste.

I'll leave on my own thank you.

Just spiritual. I don't really like veggies. I respect what food I get though.
    "The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." - Aristotle

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by capitano666 View Post
    yeah :P

well so far looks like the people I talked with are nuts, or voters aren't answering the truth. I should have mentioned that most of the people I talked with called themselves atheists at first, and then irrational ideas like karma popped out
    I do love that idea. "I'm an atheist. Don't eat meat though, bad for Karma". I just put my drink down and blank face them until they realize how stupid what they just said was.

Spiritualistic Meat Eater, reporting it! However, I don't believe in karma. I have my own unique look on life that is neither religious nor athiest.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drofu View Post
    Spiritualistic Meat Eater, reporting it! However, I don't believe in karma. I have my own unique look on life that is neither religious nor athiest.
    Anything not atheistic is theistic which is technically religious, just you're not a member of an organized body. There isn't a "no mans land" and there's no need for one.

Non-spiritual and non-vegetarian. Skelington just eats what he feels like at the time, and while he's never much been a fan of meat, he doesn't exclude it from his diet.

Anything not atheistic is theistic which is technically religious, just you're not a member of an organized body. There isn't a "no mans land" and there's no need for one.
    Well how should I put this. I don't believe there is much truth in Creationism and Evolution. I believe that we don't know the answer yet since not enough information has been given to fully support one side or the other. Too many loopholes in both cases, etc.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I eat meat, believe in karma (to an extent) and don't consider myself spiritual. I 100% support the people that don't eat meat for their own personal reasons, I however HATE the people that try to force their views down my throat. To me it is like having a conversation with someone about religion that refuses to see you as your own person, and not a carbon copy of them.

There be a joke in there......a joke in bad taste.

I'll leave on my own thank you.
    A joke like that would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drofu View Post
    Well how should I put this. I don't believe there is much truth in Creationism and Evolution. I believe that we don't know the answer yet since not enough information has been given to fully support one side or the other. Too many loopholes in both cases, etc.
    .....what. Evolution has tens of thousands of hours of research, thousands of books, articles and examples of proof. I'm astounded that you think it's a matter of debate. It is a debate if you've the education of a highschool dropout.