Page 1 of 35
... LastLast

Tomorrow we'll find out more about their microtransaction philosophy

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/...&postcount=668

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Kerstein
    Hey everybody.

We will have a blog post going live tomorrow that will talk in length about our microtransaction philosophy. As usual, I recommend to stay calm and not jump to conclusions based on speculations.
    We already have a decent basic idea, but this should be pretty interesting.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-03-20 at 12:42 AM.

It's kind of sad I'm more interested in the reaction this will generate then what they will actually have to say. Though that partially because I'm confident they won't say anything really dumb.
    "Haters give me balance, every Kyle's got a Cartman." -George Watsky

Quote Originally Posted by PonyCannon View Post
    I'm confident they won't say anything really dumb.
    I trust them too bitch pudding. They're pretty smart about what to do, and what not to do.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-03-20 at 12:46 AM.

they've got a track record to fall back on to. the people who bash their system usually don't know anything about their system.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    they've got a track record to fall back on to. the people who bash their system usually don't know anything about their system.
    It's not just that, its people (guru) taking every little word for detail and stretching it to something that's not.

So prepare for fireworks.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's kind of sad I'm more interested in the reaction this will generate then what they will actually have to say. Though that partially because I'm confident they won't say anything really dumb.
    Agreed.
    Guru will be a laugh.

Nice of them to let us know beforehand. I'm curious how specific they'll get.

Oh I'm already outraged/entitled/slappedintheface!

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Agreed.
    Guru will be a laugh.
    It's already a laugh:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/...53#post1233753
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Honestly I'm so excited for this game that I don't actually care about micro-transactions. I guess it just goes to show that you get used to anything-- I used to think micro transactions were absolutely evil, but after LoL and Spiral Knights I'm not that bothered by them.

I'd rather the money go into ArenaNet's hands then scammers and gold sellers.
    "Please find my dear friends.
    Dead or Alive" -redmakoto

Deleted
    Should be interesting.

I'm with Mif and PonyCannon.. guru is probably going to blow up.

Brb gonna make some popcorn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ick, GW2Guru... A headache after a guillotine!

But I am excited to see what they have to say about this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Agreed.
    Guru will be a laugh.
    It's worse than arguing with a woman...
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    It's worse than arguing with a woman...
    It's worse then two woman arguing with each other.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

Microtransactions are fine by me as long as quality new content will be provided with a portion of the money gained from them. I hope that microtransactions as a source of income will be able to fund patches of content like a subscription fee would be able to do in a P2P MMO.

I've been avoiding that thread on GW2 guru. Exactly what is the concern over these "Gems" seen in a screenshot? I can't get a handle on what they are arguing about.

Quote Originally Posted by Noemonad View Post
    Microtransactions are fine by me as long as quality new content will be provided with a portion of the money gained from them. I hope that microtransactions as a source of income will be able to fund patches of content like a subscription fee would be able to do in a P2P MMO.
    Been proven to do so already and it's a proven fact that games don't need subscriptions anymore to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by toychristopher View Post
    I've been avoiding that thread on GW2 guru. Exactly what is the concern over these "Gems" seen in a screenshot? I can't get a handle on what they are arguing about.
    The bottom of your avatar is missing a border o_o
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

A small preview of what we'll get in cash shop would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Noemonad View Post
    I was reading this article and one of the things they mentioned was...

What has been confirmed, however, is that the aforementioned model is not planned follow a pay-to-win design; allegedly, neither will you need to pay to unlock areas, mechanics or game modes within the final game.
    It was the bold part that I was glad to read, because I've been hearing a few people say that there might be dungeons that will be in the cash shop and I really didn't want to see something like that happen. The rest of the quote was stuff I was already expecting.

Hopefully it's something they clear up for good in their blog though.

Also, it's funny, the redditors are saying the same thing we are about guru...it must really be that bad lol http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c...system_coming/
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-03-20 at 01:40 AM.

what is the deal with the gems then? sorry i havent been keeping up to date with those stuff, what are they, what do they do, what are they for.
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    The bottom of your avatar is missing a border o_o
    Is it still? I didn't even realize it because it looks fine to me!

So the basics of the controversy is some one leaked info saying that you can buy gems (cash shop currency) with real money, and then sell the gems in game, meaning that you are buying gold. Some people think that's "Playing 2 Win." None of that is confirmed.

But that's perfect because that means to buy stuff from the cash shop you don't have to spend real money, if you have the in-game gold you can buy the cash shop currency. That's very similar to Eve Online or Spiral Knights.