Some questions about potential upgrades

Hey guys, I've got a few questions about upgrades I plan on doing within the next month or so.

First off, here are my plans:

CPU: Intel i5 3570K

CPU Cooler: Either the Havik-140, Noctua NH-D14 or Corsair H-something (which is best, the 80, 90 or 100?)

Motherboard: ASRock z77 Extreme4 or Pro3 (can't decide, I don't plan on adding a second card, but who knows if that will change down the line)

Memory: 8GB Mushkin Blackline

SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 (recycled from old build)

Hard Drive: 500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue (recycled from old build)

Videocard: Undetermined (likely the 7950, unless Kepler's card at this price point outperforms it)

Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi (recycled from old build)

Powersupply: SeaSonic X650

Optical Drive: Recycled from old build

Monitor: Dell U2412M

OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (recycled from old build)

Keyboard: Undetermined (likely the Corsair K90 once mine dies)

Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000 (once my Logitech dies)

Now, onto my questions:
    • Is that the correct Mushkin memory? I've got a promo code for 10% off desktop memory from Newegg, but it's only good for the next 2 days so I wanna buy it soon.
    • Newegg currently has an amazing deal on the SeaSonic X750, but I know 750W is completely overkill for the build above. My question is: how overkill is it? I know you want your PSU to run between 60 and 80% efficiency, but I'm doubtful that this system will be able to do that.
    • I know that it is a little early to talk about cooling Ivy Bridge, since it isn't even out for consumers yet, but which route do you guys think I should take? Air or liquid? And if liquid, which closed loop system do you recommend?
    • Does anyone have any idea if Kepler will have a video card in the price range of the 7950 that will outperform it, or is it too early to tell?
    • Newegg also has 10% off all ASRock motherboards, but the two Z77 boards I linked aren't available for purchase yet. Do you guys think it is worth waiting, or should I go ahead and buy a board like the Z68 Extreme4 Gen3?

I think that's all for now. I know that we've got very little info on Ivy Bridge, Z77 and Kepler, but some of these deals only last a few days, so I was hoping for any input at all.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-03-20 at 12:56 PM.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Now, onto my questions:
    • Is that the correct Mushkin memory? I've got a promo code for 10% off desktop memory from Newegg, but it's only good for the next 2 days so I wanna buy it soon.
    • Newegg currently has an amazing deal on the SeaSonic X750, but I know 750W is completely overkill for the build above. My question is: how overkill is it? I know you want your PSU to run between 60 and 80% efficiency, but I'm doubtful that this system will be able to do that.
    • I know that it is a little early to talk about cooling Ivy Bridge, since it isn't even out for consumers yet, but which route do you guys think I should take? Air or liquid? And if liquid, which closed loop system do you recommend?
    • Does anyone have any idea if Kepler will have a video card in the price range of the 7950 that will outperform it, or is it too early to tell?
    • Newegg also has 10% off all ASRock motherboards, but the two Z77 boards I linked aren't available for purchase yet. Do you guys think it is worth waiting, or should I go ahead and buy a board like the Z68 Extreme4 Gen3?

I think that's all for now. I know that we've got very little info on Ivy Bridge, Z77 and Kepler, but some of these deals only last a few days, so I was hoping for any input at all.
    1. Yes
    2. I would guesstimate at load for that gpu+cpu you're looking at a 450-500W load so you'll be quite under, however, with the 750 you could fit another 7950 and still be fine for power, Not sure if you went Nvidia route though.
    3. Air, I wouldn't expect a big chance from Sandy Bridge, especially since these will take less power and create less heat.
    4. Probably too early, I would expect 670 to be ahead of 7950 if they stay in similar ranks as they do now, but prices, who knows.
    5. Really boils mostly down to whether you want full 16x3.0 support or not, even if it doesn't really matter either way currently. Although the Z77 Extreme4 you linked supports Quad SLI/Xfire, but if you're not thinking of even going multicard down the road I would probably lean towards the Z68.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

1. Alright, I thought so.

2. After all of the trouble I went through implementing my current SLI setup, I told myself I'd never do it again. That being said, I'm sure I've learned from my mistakes, and it would go smoother my second time around. Still, I'm not sure if I'd rather add another card down the line, or upgrade to a better single card. =/

3. I know air is easier, and I also know how well it cools SB. I guess I was just consider liquid cooling because I've never tried it before. That being said, I think you may be right, and I think I may stick to air.

4. Alright, I didn't think we knew enough about Kepler to say definitively one way or another, I wish nVidia would give us some sort of verified specs!

5. Like I said in number 2, I honestly have no idea whether I'll add another card down the road. At the moment, I'm leaning towards probably not. In that case, it seems like the Z68 will be plenty, but like someone pointed out in the computer chat thread, the NDA is still in effect so we may not know everything Z77 has to offer. I think I'll likely end up waiting, but then I won't get to use the 10% off deal.

Thanks for your input Sephiracle.

Something to add: I went ahead and ordered 16GB of that memory, at $35 for 8GB, it was hard to pass up.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-03-20 at 02:03 PM.

Deleted
    Didn't think Z68 you're looking at is on the available list for the 10% off. I would honestly just wait until the Z77 is released, never know what kind of deals might happen. I'm in the same boat as you and I'll definitely be waiting to see, though being in Denmark might limit my choices.

I was going to suggest you the white LP/LV Corsair RAM sticks even if they're more expensive but you did get a good deal.

The seasonic deal is awesome, I would go for it. Last time the X650 $100 was a great deal and was sold out in like a day but $110 for the X750 is awesome (get it, while it's there!)

I'm really a fan (no pun intended) of the Havik-140 considering it's price. I know Corsair H100 is expensive but performs really good and personally I think it looks amazing (not like custom liquid of course...) assuming you have room for the radiator and some Noctua fans to make it quieter.

You're right about the ASRock deal, I guess I didn't read closely enough.

I'm still up in the air about the X750, I'm afraid that's just too much power for my build, I don't want to shorten my power supplies life because I'm not utilizing enough of it.

I'm also still up in the air (no pun intended ) in regards to which cooling route I take. I know that closed loops systems like the H100 are pretty easy to install, especially for someone whose done as many builds as I have, but I don't want to buy something I don't need.

Deleted
    Then Havik-140 gets my vote.

I really don't see an issue with getting the X750, I wouldn't worry that much. 850+ I might start saying something. I'd buy it right now if it wasn't an issue getting it through custom

a few things about the Extreme4 (Z77) besides the obvious price difference you'll get a "Clear CMOS Switch" on the rear panel which I like, one of those quality of life things. More USB 3.0 ports but that might not be a big deal. Different Audio Codec which should support Dolby® Home Theater besides "just" THX TruStudio™, again probably nothing major. SLI support as you mentioned and different power design (better/worse OC capabilities) but that's about it.
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2012-03-20 at 06:14 PM.

I did go ahead and order the SeaSonic X750, it's overkill for the build, but hard to pass up. And you're right, 750W is not so much that I need to worry about it dying early due to inefficiency.

With Ivy Bridge and Z77 still a few weeks out, I've got time to contemplate which cooling solution to go with.

I'm antsy about the video cards though. I'd like to sell my 560 Tis before they become a generation old, that way I get the most money out of them, but then I'll be without a video card...

Why don't you just sell one of them, then you have a back-up graphics card should anything bad happen to the new one?

Out of pocket expenses would be a little too high if I chose to keep one of them... As it sits, I'll only be paying roughly $100 out of pocket for all of these upgrades.

---------- Post added 2012-03-21 at 08:36 AM ----------

Alright, so as of right now, I'm looking at:

CPU: Intel i5 3570K
    CPU Cooler: NZXT Havik-140 (or Corsair H100, I haven't decided yet)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4 (or the Z77 Extreme3 assuming they announce one)
    Memory: 16GB Mushkin Blackline
    SSD: 120GB OCZ Vertex 3
    Hard Drive: 500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
    Videocard: NVIDIA GTX 680
    Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi
    Powersupply: SeaSonic X750
    Optical Drive: Samsung DVDRW
    Monitor: Dell U2412M
    Keyboard: Undetermined (likely the Corsair K90 once mine dies)
    Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000 (once my Logitech dies).

Items in purple are items that I already have, items in blue are items that I've ordered.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-03-22 at 06:44 PM.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like your build noteworthy I got to ask is that motherboard out and if so how much is it running for I couldn't find one online but I'm really liking the setup it has. Also that PSU is pretty big for either one of those cards even with your setup or are you planning on doing an SLI/Crossfire set up?
    Last edited by Skarsguard; 2012-03-22 at 06:38 PM.

No, it isn't out, probably won't be here until the first week of April (at the earliest).

And no, I don't plan on doing SLI, I bought the power supply because it was a great deal ($110, normally $150). 650W would be more than enough for this build.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-03-22 at 07:13 PM.