Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Great way to dodge the real issue. It isn't a class trip. What school takes field trips to MEXICO, a country that avidly sends tourists away because of how dangerous it is, even the resorts.

The fact they went there after Mexico sends people away is bad parenting. Not to mention how much security it would take JUST SO THE GIRLS CAN DO WHATEVER THEY WANT.
    Pretty much. and it is a "School" trip? Really? During spring break, to mexico? I wish my school had such awesome trips, we went to the local ethanol plant!

Either way, this is relevant because of the history of the Obama family taking many expensive trips. This is what this thread is about. It is relevant. I read somewhere they tried covering up Mrs. Obamas trip to spain as well.

I'm sorry but this kind of things just pile on. I ws wrong about the class trip part, but still. That is A LOT of tax dollars, when we are in an economic crisis. But like I said. Its alll okay because they are democrats.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    From the articles linked in this thread,

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/...ry-117970.html
    First sentence. "The AFP, the Huffington Post and other websites have scrubbed a report about first daughter Malia Obama's school trip."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...s-mexico-trip/
    Fourth paragraph. "However, there is no State Department warning in effect for the state of Oaxaca, where Malia is reportedly on a school trip."

Earlier in the very same report it says they warned against all of mexico, but specifically some areas.

Maybe they took it down because of all the heat about Mexico's people dying by being shot with guns given to criminals by the obama administration.

Quote Originally Posted by Burritaco View Post
    I was 13 four years ago, there was not a single person having sex, there was not a single person drinking, there was not a single person doing anything out of the ordinary for a 13 year old kid.

You guys of course like everyone always has are looking at the newest generation and saying that your generation was better.

But what you don't understand is that your generation raised our generation, who's fault is that?
    And in any case, they're talking bollocks.

---------- Post added 2012-03-21 at 07:41 AM ----------

Either way, this is relevant because of the history of the Obama family taking many expensive trips.
    Hah, you think that's bad? How much do you think our (British) royal family's little trips abroad cost?

Either way, this is relevant because of the history of the Obama family taking many expensive trips. This is what this thread is about. It is relevant. I read somewhere they tried covering up Mrs. Obamas trip to spain as well.

I'm sorry but this kind of things just pile on. I ws wrong about the class trip part, but still. That is A LOT of tax dollars, when we are in an economic crisis. But like I said. Its alll okay because they are democrats.
    Once again, the actual number of tax dollars spent would be a legitimate news story. That a 13 year old is in Mexico on a school trip is not.

You don't even know how much (additional) tax money was spent. You're just trying to turn this non-issue into a potentially flimsy news story by claiming it is "A LOT", which is a meaninglessly vague non-number. In reality the costs of securing the First Family is not a big deal compared to the billions the US Federal Government spends. Cutting down on government waste is fine, but this is almost completely irrelevant. All it is, is a convenient target for political attacks that does not help the budget or the economy at all.

---------- Post added 2012-03-21 at 07:44 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    Earlier in the very same report it says they warned against all of mexico, but specifically some areas.
    Yes, the point is that they went to an area where there is no State Department warning.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-03-21 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ContentsMayVary View Post
    And in any case, they're talking bollocks.

---------- Post added 2012-03-21 at 07:41 AM ----------

Hah, you think that's bad? How much do you think our (British) royal family's little trips abroad cost?

I'm sure I would be disgusted to find out.

---------- Post added 2012-03-21 at 03:45 AM ----------

Once again, the actual number of tax dollars spent would be a legitimate news story. That a 13 year old is in Mexico on a school trip is not.

You don't even know how much (additional) tax money was spent. You're just trying to turn this non-issue into a potentially flimsy news story by claiming it is "A LOT". In reality the costs of securing the First Family is not a big deal compared to the billions the US Federal Government spends.

---------- Post added 2012-03-21 at 07:44 AM ----------

Yes, the point is that they went to an area where there is no State Department warning.
    This whole thread isn't just about her trip. This is about yet another expensive Obama family vacation.

This whole thread isn't just about her trip. This is about yet another expensive Obama family vacation.
    This whole thread has been completely about her trip and you (plus some others) claiming it is "expensive" and "waste" of taxpayer money without providing any number whatsoever. If it really is about the cost of her school trip, then how much did it cost? How can attack her trip for wasteful and expensive if all you've managed to say is it costs "A LOT"?
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-03-21 at 07:55 AM.

This whole thread has been completely about her trip and you (plus some others) claiming it is "expensive" and "waste" of taxpayer money without providing any number whatsoever. If it really is about the cost of her school trip, then how much did it cost? How can attack her trip for wasteful and expensive if all you've managed to say is it costs "A LOT"?

How can I be sure because of the cover ups? Actually someone a page back had numbers, even with multiple trip prices. I guess you skipped over those to better your argument for negligent Obama spending.

How can I be sure because of the cover ups?
    So you're sure they're wasting money on trips. You don't know how much though because that's being covered up. But you know its a lot and its wasteful. Though, again, you don't know how much they're actually spending.

How can I be sure because of the cover ups?
    Stop crying "cover up" just because a non-issue was pulled. All that happened (as far as I can tell anyway) was White House asking the media to not report on her being in Mexico. It's not like they did a story about how much it costed and the White House silenced it. Again, like I continusouly stressed, that would have been a valid story. Don't blame cover ups for there not being one either, we have articles about the supposed "cover up" floating around after all.

What you are trying to do is attacking her for supposedly wasting money in Mexico, without having to deal with the reality of finding out how much (or little) the trip is supposedly wasting. You can't have the cake and eat it. Either you critise the actual cost of the trip, or shut up about it. That's why I said to you from the beginning, do a story on the actual costs of the trip - that is actually an issue of public interest. The mere fact that she is in Mexico is not. And "I think it costs a lot of money but I have no idea how much and no evidence that the amount is anywhere near a big deal" is not a good enough excuse.

Actually someone a page back had numbers, even with multiple trip prices. I guess you skipped over those to better your argument for negligent Obama spending.
    If you meant that post with a horrendously long sentence, that someone provided numbers about Michelle Obama's trips only. I guessed you ignored the part where $10 million over 3 years for the security of the First Lady is in no way a significant expense.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2012-03-21 at 08:04 AM.

Stop crying "cover up" just because a non-issue was pulled. All that happened (as far as I can tell anyway) was White House asking the media to not report on her being in Mexico. It's not like they did a story about how much it costed and the White House silenced it. Again, like I continusouly stressed, that would have been a valid story. And the fact that we have articles floating around about the "cover up" kind of suggests it's not one.

What you are trying to do is attacking her for supposedly wasting money in Mexico, without having to deal with the reality of finding out how much (or little) it is supposedly wasting. You can't have the cake and eat it. Either you critise the actual cost of the trip, or shut up about it. That's why I said to you from the beginning, do a story on the actual costs of the trip - that is actually an issue of public interest. The mere fact that she is in Mexico is not. And "I think it costs a lot of money but I have no idea how much and no evidence that the amount it anywhere near a big deal" is not a good enough excuse.

If you meant that post with a horrendously long sentence, that someone provided numbers about Michelle Obama's trips only. I guessed you ignored the part where $10 million over 3 years for the security of the First Lady is in no way a significant expense.
    Is that compared to former first ladies? Or is it suddenly more expensive? I think not.

This is the kind of Grade A nonsense that had me leave the Republican Party last year.

You know, you guys, you whine and whine about Government waste, but you won't go after the big fish. You won't do a top to bottom review of government contracting, the biggest sink hole in government financing today. You wont start asking hard questions about how vendors, for everything from Potato Chips to Jet Fighters, for the government, routinely face cost overruns in the hundreds of percent.

You know what I want to see? A Republican who has the balls... yes the balls... to serve Lockheed Martin a five year General Contracting ban and cancel the F-35 JSF for its insane cost issues. But that won't happen, because this isnt about money. It's about playing king of the hill and using whatever leverage to reclaim the mountain that is the executive branch.

Attacking Secret Service Protection for the President's daughter is asinine. You want to save money? Go after the big fish. Take on the trillion dollar interests that are shaking down taxpayers because they believe - rightly - that no matter what they charge the Feds will never have the balls to cancel their cash flow in a serious way. It's not even just defense either! It's what the government pays for gas, for energy. It's what the government pays for public works. It's general services like catering adding up. It sounds ridiculous but when everyone charges double in the last 10 years despite just 13% inflation, the feds budget has to double.

This is why I no longer support Republicans and why I will support Obama in this election. Because I want the most efficient, effective, lean, mean government money can buy. It doesn't matter who is at the top. What matters is what is happening in the middle. Whether its Canadian Goose Shit making the National Mall unwalkable despite contracting for maintenance, Interstate Highways that are an embarassment despite hundreds of billions in investment, or aircraft carriers that cost three times as much per ship as their predecessors, if you want to stop government waste, look there.

I'll support any party that is willing to name a Special Prosecutor who will look into government contracting corruption / failures, is willing to name names and destroy lives and careers. Accountability with Barack Obama is a joke... he's been President for less than one quarter the time since the problem started. Let's find how how every dime is really being spent. After all thats clear, maybe then we can start sighing at waste over protection for the President of the United States' daughter.

Is that compared to former first ladies? Or is it suddenly more expensive? I think not.
    So is it? Do you have any evidence that they spent more compared to former First Families, taking into account innflation? And no, "I think" does not acount as evidence.

And again, you are ignoring the fact that whatever the amount spent is negligible compared to the overall US government waste. It is just an convenient attack point for you that does not in anyway help the budget or the economy.

Why is a 13 year old girl partying in Mexico? Sense not made ._.
    Miranda Rights: Miranda has the right to a decent man to help her raise her baby.

Great way to dodge the real issue. It isn't a class trip. What school takes field trips to MEXICO, a country that avidly sends tourists away because of how dangerous it is, even the resorts.

The fact they went there after Mexico sends people away is bad parenting. Not to mention how much security it would take JUST SO THE GIRLS CAN DO WHATEVER THEY WANT.
    How do you know it isn't a class trip? The Obama girls go to one of the most exclusive schools in the country, why wouldn't they take a school trip to see sites in Mexico. If I had the means to send my kids to see historical sites all around the world with their school, I would give them every opportunity to do so. This is all just jealousy mixed with ignorance. The girls ALWAYS have secret service with them. And the state they are visiting is classified as safe.

Just because she is the President's daughter doesn't mean she has to sit in this glass bubble, unable to do anything with her classmates because , gasp, it costs too much money. Everything she does while he is President is going to cost shits tons of money. That is how it has always worked for decades, and how it will work for the foreseeable future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AdriWar View Post
    Why is a 13 year old girl partying in Mexico? Sense not made ._.
    It's a school trip not a booze filled romp through TJ filled with donkey shows and meth.

You should look up the total costs of all his and his families vacations thus far. The amount is mind blowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Drofu View Post
    You should look up the total costs of all his and his families vacations thus far. The amount is mind blowing.
    How many trips did Bush or Bush Senior take? What about their children? How much did they cost including inflation. Clinton? Reagan? This isn't new. Bashing their kids for an educational trip expense when we have NO numbers on what additional cost came out of tax payer dollars, is a very low blow. And just stinks of desperation. Anything anyone can do to make him look bad, even with something as stupid as this, people will use.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Burritaco View Post
    I was 13 four years ago, there was not a single person having sex, there was not a single person drinking, there was not a single person doing anything out of the ordinary for a 13 year old kid.

You guys of course like everyone always has are looking at the newest generation and saying that your generation was better.

But what you don't understand is that your generation raised our generation, who's fault is that?
    I dont mean this to be rude i swear to god 100% that's not my intention....you were 13 4yrs ago and posting on a video games forum now? is it possible it was going on but maybe you just werent invited? My son is 17 and plays high school football all 4 yrs and let me assure you....it is going on for MOST 13-17 yr old kids, sorry you missed out.