Switching to SSD, a question

My current 1 TB HDD is now divided into 2, on C, Windows and other non-gaming related programs installed and all of my games are installed on D.

If i am to switch to an SSD, install windows on it and only formatting C, will this effect D folder? Do i have to format all the 1TB? Or it wont be necesarry?

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Formatting will wipe your existing partition table. There are utilities capable of resizing partitions, but I'd sooner suggest buying another HDD and using it to move files around for your reinstall, then later using it as a Windows Backup drive.

Or you could just keep the drive as two separate partitions...
    Last edited by kidsafe; 2012-03-21 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    Formatting will wipe your existing partition table. There are utilities capable of resizing partitions, but I'd sooner suggest buying another HDD and using it to move files around for your reinstall, then later using it as a Windows Backup drive.

Or you could just keep the drive as two separate partitions...
    I don't think you understood what he was asking. He currently has a disk with 2 partitions. On C: are windows and non-gaming programs. On D: are games. He wants to buy a SSD on which he will then install windows and hes asking if formatting the win partition on the old disk will affect the second partition and games installed there. And the answer is yes. You will need to reinstall every game you had installed because every information about installed apps and games is stored in windows registry of your current windows. When you put in your shiny new SSD and install windows on it, you won't be able to use most of the programs you previously had installed (even without formating first partition of the old drive). The second solution is to clone your existing windows to your SSD. That way you don't need to reinstall anything. But that's a bit of an advanced solution so you will need to do some research on how to handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fichek View Post
    I don't think you understood what he was asking. He currently has a disk with 2 partitions. On C: are windows and non-gaming programs. On D: are games. He wants to buy a SSD on which he will then install windows and hes asking if formatting the win partition on the old disk will affect the second partition and games installed there. And the answer is yes. You will need to reinstall every game you had installed because every information about installed apps and games is stored in windows registry of your current windows. When you put in your shiny new SSD and install windows on it, you won't be able to use most of the programs you previously had installed (even without formating first partition of the old drive). The second solution is to clone your existing windows to your SSD. That way you don't need to reinstall anything. But that's a bit of an advanced solution so you will need to do some research on how to handle it.
    That was exactly what i was asking, and thanks for the asnwer.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Simple solution is to download a trial of Acronis TrueImage Home, install Windows on the SSD, then clone the Windows partition from your HDD to the Windows partition of the SSD. Don't perform a full disk clonining.