Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
LastLast
  1. #41
    Scarab Lord Blznsmri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    The only reason to buying gold from a farmer is if they sell the gold cheaper then buying and selling games, wich it probably would be.
    But if players drop the price of Gems by way of the economy it could potentially make gold selling/ farming not worthwhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    The only reason to buying gold from a farmer is if they sell the gold cheaper then buying and selling games, wich it probably would be.
    Yeah, but if you buy the gold from gold sellers you promote botting and hacking, while if you buy (even if a bit more expensive) gems from ANET you are supporting the game.

    My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Am I really?
    This is taken from the blog:
    "We have a new player-driven market that allows players to trade gold for gems and gems for gold. If you want something, whether it’s an in-game item or a microtransaction, you ultimately have two ways to get it: you can play to earn gold or you can use money to buy gems."

    I understand it no other way that all items except karma ones you can buy or sell for gold or gems.
    That doesn't mean that everything will be available though.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    I think mobile version would be nice enough. It's not like gold seller will steal your phone to hack your acc.
    Not everybody has an Iphone or an android that can run a mobile authenticator. I for one dont want to pay a second internet subscription (aka pay for a data package) just so I can get a phone with a few extra bells and whistles and 1 program that would be useful to me. I use my phone as a phone not an extra computer away from my computer, I just go back to my computer if I want a computer.

    Who is John Galt?

  5. #45
    Scarab Lord Blznsmri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    I use my phone as a phone not an extra computer away from my computer, I just go back to my computer if I want a computer.
    I use my phone as a phone unless I'm away from my computer. I really don't see this as a valid argument. That said I've got unlimited text and data (and 1000 minutes) for like 40 bucks a month...
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    I use my phone as a phone unless I'm away from my computer. I really don't see this as a valid argument. That said I've got unlimited text and data (and 1000 minutes) for like 40 bucks a month...
    IF that works for you god bless. Myself I either have ready access to a computer or I'm doing something where I really shouldnt be trying to use a computer anyway, like driveing. The few times I'm in a situation where I'm far from a computer and wish I could just goggle something are so few as to not be worth the extra expense and its never been so important that it couldn't wait. and most of the data packages I've run across have been $20-30 more per month than just the basic minutes I need.
    As to the argument, thats one of my reasons if you dont agree with my reason well thats your right but it wasnt the main point I was making. The point was I dont have a smart phone (and I gave my reasons for that) and I know there are plenty of other people out there who also dont have smart phones for a variety of reasons. Having just a mobile version, particularly if its required to play would be bad because you'd exclude folks that could play the game but dont have the right peripheral devices. Beter to just include the authenticator with the purchase and require that and have a mobile version avalible if folks prefer to use the smartphone instead as that approach will work for all situations not just a select few.
    Last edited by Merendel; 2012-03-21 at 07:38 PM.

    Who is John Galt?

  7. #47
    The Lightbringer Kouki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    So, I read about the microtransaction system. Sure, it's good that I can buy that cash shop store items for gold with just having to play and not pay real cash.
    However, this system will promote opening wallet to save time since the gold price will be high. Instead of a normal grind for a couple of days to get item they increase the grind to months. Say you want a cute looking costume, that will take you a couple of months but there is this epic weapon that will improve your char that also takes some months to get. If you choose the costume you will not progress your char, so you either grind for ages or open your wallet and get item directly. While the rich dude just adding 50 dollars or something get all epics instantly.

    Also, picking up that flower knowing it's 0.001% of the gold needed for the item. Why should not people bot that farming, especially if they dont want to pick flowers all day long and dont want to pay irl cash? Because most of the people dont want to open their real life wallet, but they don't want to gather mats or whatev day in and day out.. especially with limited gametime. So they bot, and I can't see why they shouldn't?

    They make it way easier for people to sell as well. They can make website and say: we sell gems for less than the GW2 cash store, buy from us instead. And they trade in game and it all looks legal, because... well it is.

    If you think it will be otherwise, please inform me. Because right now it looks more like the ultimate paradise for bots and goldsellers or well gemsellers than not.
    Your wrong about it all.

    There Can't Be botters or blackmarket websites that sell anything.

    Why ? Because the market sets the price on Gems The Cash curency, and Gold / in game items.

    Also you claim to know they are selling some giant sword well they are not, they are only selling vanity items skins for armor mounts pets etc.

    You are making this to be some big deal and it is not.
    -Scrapbot stole my sig-

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    So, I read about the microtransaction system. Sure, it's good that I can buy that cash shop store items for gold with just having to play and not pay real cash.
    However, this system will promote opening wallet to save time since the gold price will be high. Instead of a normal grind for a couple of days to get item they increase the grind to months. Say you want a cute looking costume, that will take you a couple of months but there is this epic weapon that will improve your char that also takes some months to get. If you choose the costume you will not progress your char, so you either grind for ages or open your wallet and get item directly.

    A) While the rich dude just adding 50 dollars or something get all epics instantly.

    B)Also, picking up that flower knowing it's 0.001% of the gold needed for the item. Why should not people bot that farming, especially if they dont want to pick flowers all day long and dont want to pay irl cash? Because most of the people dont want to open their real life wallet, but they don't want to gather mats or whatev day in and day out.. especially with limited gametime. So they bot, and I can't see why they shouldn't?

    They make it way easier for people to sell as well. They can make website and say: we sell gems for less than the GW2 cash store, buy from us instead. And they trade in game and it all looks legal, because... well it is.

    If you think it will be otherwise, please inform me. Because right now it looks more like the ultimate paradise for bots and goldsellers or well gemsellers than not.
    A)I like how you assume that the microtransaction store will be selling items of power when they already said they would not do that because they know the backlash from doing so, most the micro transaction things will be cosmetic skins, char slots, maybe color dyes, maybe a potion that increases your karma rate 10% for an hour, etc things that don't directly effect power. People don't take kindly to "buy to win" items.

    B) Yes convenience is the exact model of the micro transition model they are setting up, "I want character slot 6, if I farm the gold for it to turn into gems to buy it will take about 3 months but wont cost a dime other then me doing what I would be doing anyways, or I can drop $5-10 and get it now and save the in game gold for other items like siege weapons in WvW... Can you pay $5-10 for a character slot that most micro transaction models would make you pay for? yes. Can you just play one of your characters for a while and eventually save up enough in game gold to get that character slot for free which most other microtransaction models don't let you do? yes, you don't have to spend a dime on that character slot if you don't want to.

    C) Because of not being able to buy power and being able to choose what to drop money for now or gradually get over time by just playing it allows for a less offensive micro trans then many others. On top of not forcing people to spend $15-30 more for those 3 character slots to have one of each type it also helps out with in game gold inflation since it adds yet another gold sink for those who don't want to spend money.

    All in all, there is no model that would eliminate botters, but this one looks like it would reduce botters since botters would have to undercut Anets price on Gems and gold which would be less then profitable since there is no zone you can go into to bot and 1 shot every mob for its skin, not to mention how good you would have to be to program a bot that uses the dodge mechanic properly and can get out of AoEs since it is not static combat that is easy to bot. Hacked/Phished/keylogged accounts will still be profitable to sell gold from, but botting not so much.

  9. #49
    Bloodsail Admiral Cuchulainn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    On the Exodar, lecturing Neophytes.
    Posts
    1,058
    Don't worry guys, I got this. I'm majoring in [insert economy field here], so I should know a thing or two about how this is working.

    From my professional understanding of things:
    You can...
    -sell gold for gems.
    -sell gems for gold.
    -buy gems with IRL $$$.
    -use gems in cash shop.

    It would take a damn good programmer in order to create a bot that would function in combat correctly VS ANet's AI, or at least someone smart. Also, don't kid yourselves (if you are), there will be gold and gem farmers. There always are, but with the system that ANet is putting up, there shouldn't be as many. ANet knows there's going to be farmers, they're just trying to create a way to prevent them from botting and hacking in order to make money fast. At least I think/hope they are. Which brings me to the last on my list...

    -Sell gems and gold for IRL $$$.

    With that said, I'm almost certain ANet will make it more beneficial for players to buy cash shop items with gold and gems that they EARNED; not bought from a 3rd party company.

  10. #50
    Scarab Lord Blznsmri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    With that said, I'm almost certain ANet will make it more beneficial for players to buy cash shop items with gold and gems that they EARNED; not bought from a 3rd party company.
    Why require ArenaNet to do all the fixing? Why not have the players drive down the Gold price of Gems so that it will not be profitable to sell gold because they have to keep the price of their gold down relative to the amount of gold it costs to buy a single gem.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

  11. #51
    Legendary! Spl4sh3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,712
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    So, I read about the microtransaction system. Sure, it's good that I can buy that cash shop store items for gold with just having to play and not pay real cash.
    However, this system will promote opening wallet to save time since the gold price will be high. Instead of a normal grind for a couple of days to get item they increase the grind to months. Say you want a cute looking costume, that will take you a couple of months but there is this epic weapon that will improve your char that also takes some months to get. If you choose the costume you will not progress your char, so you either grind for ages or open your wallet and get item directly. While the rich dude just adding 50 dollars or something get all epics instantly.

    Also, picking up that flower knowing it's 0.001% of the gold needed for the item. Why should not people bot that farming, especially if they dont want to pick flowers all day long and dont want to pay irl cash? Because most of the people dont want to open their real life wallet, but they don't want to gather mats or whatev day in and day out.. especially with limited gametime. So they bot, and I can't see why they shouldn't?

    They make it way easier for people to sell as well. They can make website and say: we sell gems for less than the GW2 cash store, buy from us instead. And they trade in game and it all looks legal, because... well it is.

    If you think it will be otherwise, please inform me. Because right now it looks more like the ultimate paradise for bots and goldsellers or well gemsellers than not.
    You are wrong. There won't be any good super weapon that will cost masses of gold to get. Once you hit 80 you should be able to get the best gear directly. Guild Wars has never been and will never be about best gear. It is more about the looks of gear and then about skill of the player.

  12. #52
    If combat actually requires you to dodge and such... I'd be really impressed to see a bot play GW2 well.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    They can make website and say: we sell gems for less than the GW2 cash store, buy from us instead.
    this will happen.
    bots and hacking all over again :s
    Last edited by guser; 2012-03-21 at 11:04 PM.

  14. #54
    Will there be any incentives for accumulating large amounts of gold? I don't think gathering wealth will be nearly as important in GW2 as it is in many games.

    Also, aren't gathering node locations randomized?

  15. #55
    Bloodsail Admiral Cuchulainn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    On the Exodar, lecturing Neophytes.
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Why require ArenaNet to do all the fixing? Why not have the players drive down the Gold price of Gems so that it will not be profitable to sell gold because they have to keep the price of their gold down relative to the amount of gold it costs to buy a single gem.
    Because this will never happen. When you put that power of choice/action into a player's hands, then they're bound to fuck everything up. It. Just. Can't. Happen.
    They made the game. They made the cash shop. They make all final choices and fixes. If they can't find a way to fix the economy, if it ever get's broke, then yeah, it'll be the same as every other MMO economy. Which I really don't care about.

    I'll buy my gems from ANet with IRL $$$. IMO, this whole topic is just stupid.
    Support the company that makes the game you're playing, people! It's really just that simple!

  16. #56
    Micro-transactions*in GW1 were done with real money via the in-game store. *Is GW2 doing it with in-game money this time? *If the former is correct then I fail to see what this has to do with encouraging bots, unless a player wishes to earn real money through selling gold - which the average player seeking cash-shop purchases would be mightily inconvenienced to do.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    I'll buy my gems from ANet with IRL $$$. IMO, this whole topic is just stupid.
    Support the company that makes the game you're playing, people! It's really just that simple!
    by buying the game we are already supporting them. most of us dont like to waste our HARD EARNED money!!!
    if i ever decide to buy gems, which is unlikely, ill make sure to find the cheapest way to do it.

  18. #58
    Warchief Cherrysoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,015
    From Guild Wars 2 Facebook page :

    Here are a few important clarifications about our microtransaction system. First, that gold is coming from other players. So somebody must have an abundance of gold if he trades it to a player. The system is not adding new gold from the outside.

    Second, take into account the gem/gold trading system. Everything that is in the store will basically be available for gold with this system - so it doesn't really matter what is in the store, as it is also available for players who play and don't want to spend additional money. Hope that helps! ~RB2

  19. #59
    Bloodsail Admiral Cuchulainn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    On the Exodar, lecturing Neophytes.
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by guser View Post
    by buying the game we are already supporting them. most of us dont like to waste our HARD EARNED money!!!
    if i ever decide to buy gems, which is unlikely, ill make sure to find the cheapest way to do it.
    Woosh goes the point.

    What I was saying was don't buy gold or gems from 3rd party companies and issues like botting and farmers will become reduced beyond recognition. Of course you're supporting them by purchasing the game, no argument there, that goes for any consumer/producer relationship. And I'm right there with you when it comes to being thrifty with games. I hate buying games at full price, and I'll usually wait a few months to even a year before buying. Hell, when RAGE went from $60 to $30 I was all over it like flies on shit.

    GW2 is the premo shit though; the cream of the crop for me. I've been waiting for a developer to make an MMO this great for at least 7-10 years. I will back them up fully and will even fork out some cash to get my character in some bad ass cosmetic gear. Hell yeah.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    Woosh goes the point.

    What I was saying was don't buy gold or gems from 3rd party companies and issues like botting and farmers will become reduced beyond recognition. Of course you're supporting them by purchasing the game, no argument there, that goes for any consumer/producer relationship. And I'm right there with you when it comes to being thrifty with games. I hate buying games at full price, and I'll usually wait a few months to even a year before buying. Hell, when RAGE went from $60 to $30 I was all over it like flies on shit.

    GW2 is the premo shit though; the cream of the crop for me. I've been waiting for a developer to make an MMO this great for at least 7-10 years. I will back them up fully and will even fork out some cash to get my character in some bad ass cosmetic gear. Hell yeah.
    Idd...I wonder how many people would have bought gold directly from blizzard if they'd have had the balls to implement the system.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •