Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    Dang, that is pretty crazy. I do not think I would spend 500 dollars to mingle with the first lady (I have no feelings against her or anything, I just think that it is ludicrous to spend that much money to "Mingle" with someone)
    You're not paying to mingle. You're donating and getting to mingle as a thank you.

Ha, I love US politics so much pointless bickering and sledging.

Wait...fuck, it's the same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Drofu View Post
    Well for the off-color remark to have made major headlines of many major newspapers, I would say it more than offended someone.
    That's hardly a measure for people being offended.

He still needs to apologize or else it will make him look like more of a racist as the days go by.
    The only thing that's going to make him look like a racist, or try at least, is the GOP.

10+ Year Old Account
    This shouldn't even be something to argue about.
    And yet, here you are.

They are making a big deal out of nothing... Move along please.

Deleted
    White people making jokes about white people is racist? against whites?
    Are rap singers anti-black, now?

Maybe because I'm not american, but i fail to even get the joke, i mean, the White House has seen 50+ white First Ladies, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tychus View Post
    That's hardly a measure for people being offended.
    Again the problem whether it was a measure of how offended the material was. The problem lies with how someone was offended by it. If nobody was offended by it, there wouldn't be a new article about it. The entire thing would have been thrown to the wind and nothing would have came of it.

The only thing that's going to make him look like a racist, or try at least, is the GOP.
    It would benefit the GOP greatly, that I can agree on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotai View Post
    And yet, here you are.

They are making a big deal out of nothing... Move along please.
    So because it wasn't a big enough deal it should be thrown out and ignored?

DeNiro already apologized and the First Lady already made a statement that she thought it was inappropriate. If you think you deserve more than that you need to get over yourself.

15+ Year Old Account
    Again the problem whether it was a measure of how offended the material was. The problem lies with how someone was offended by it. If nobody was offended by it, there wouldn't be a new article about it. The entire thing would have been thrown to the wind and nothing would have came of it.
    Someone is always offended by EVERYTHING! It doesn't matter what you say on a public platform, there is always going to be someone offended by it. How about the millions of people, straight and gay, that are offended when Gingrich and Santorum, not some actor supporting them, go on a stage and say their way of life is immoral? How about the millions of people offended when the Republican candidates step to the mic and say it is wrong for insurance companies to be "forced" to pay for birth control pills which in most cases aren't even used for birth control? I am so incredibly sick of this sanctimonious bullshit from the Republican candidates this year. If some Democrat makes an off color remark they take offense and demand that they get an apology for the comment, yet night after night they go on stage and actively preach about taking away the freedoms this country is supposed to have while condemning those that don't have a life style match with their antiquated thinking.

Gingrich can have an apology for this remark when he apologizes for insulting the intelligence of the American people by claiming he will establish a moon colony and when Santorum apologizes for telling Puerto Ricans they need to learn English.

10+ Year Old Account
    Di Niro was acting as an agent of the campaign, and thus anything he said is a reflection upon the campaign.

When Limbaugh made his remarks, the left called on everyone on the right to apologize for him. Can't have it both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxtorph View Post
    DeNiro already apologized and the First Lady already made a statement that she thought it was inappropriate. If you think you deserve more than that you need to get over yourself.
    If this is true then I applaud him for the apology.

Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    Di Niro was acting as an agent of the campaign, and thus anything he said is a reflection upon the campaign.

When Limbaugh made his remarks, the left called on everyone on the right to apologize for him. Can't have it both ways.
    Well Rush Limbaugh is nothing more than a radio hate machine. He should apologize for ever opening his mouth tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Someone is always offended by EVERYTHING! It doesn't matter what you say on a public platform, there is always going to be someone offended by it. How about the millions of people, straight and gay, that are offended when Gingrich and Santorum, not some actor supporting them, go on a stage and say their way of life is immoral? How about the millions of people offended when the Republican candidates step to the mic and say it is wrong for insurance companies to be "forced" to pay for birth control pills which in most cases aren't even used for birth control? I am so incredibly sick of this sanctimonious bullshit from the Republican candidates this year. If some Democrat makes an off color remark they take offense and demand that they get an apology for the comment, yet night after night they go on stage and actively preach about taking away the freedoms this country is supposed to have while condemning those that don't have a life style match with their antiquated thinking.

Gingrich can have an apology for this remark when he apologizes for insulting the intelligence of the American people by claiming he will establish a moon colony and when Santorum apologizes for telling Puerto Ricans they need to learn English.
    Well I never said Gingrich wasn't a nut job.

My argument was based in general. If De Niro said the off-color remark to someone who was not remotely related to politics, my argument would have been the same.
    Last edited by Drofu; 2012-03-21 at 01:19 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Media just wants you to believe that it offended people so that they have a story to cover out of nothing, this stuff happens all of the time. Obviously some people might have been offended because honestly people get offended by anything these days.

There is a pretty big difference in satire and racism. Sometimes it's not delivered very well but it still doesn't mean the man is racist.

And why would someone apologize for somebody else saying something like that?

political issues should never, ever have involvement with the color of a person's skin.
    As long as people recognize "whites" and "blacks" instead of people, racism continues.

I don't really care about the First Lady. She is more than a figurehead of nothing if not nothing. She only has any sway over things because she is the wife of the President.

What would happen if we had a single President? The First Hand? It's silly.

And all these shenanigans about racism I find overwhelmingly silly. Racism means nothing. Ethnicity might mean something. Race was invented to group people and marginalize them. The more you perpetuate race and racism, the longer it'll last.

Deleted
    the joke isnt offensive, no one should apologize, its just the republicans grasping at straws- i dont see how anyone can possibly think this is racist, remember the republicans asking to see obamas birth certificate, remember them saying he was muslim etc, those are much worse than a crack, by dinero, who is white btw, about the country not being ready for another white first lady

peoples stupidity upsets me, if you are annoyed by the joke then you shouldnt be allowed on the internet, because it was nothing

---------- Post added 2012-03-21 at 01:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Media just wants you to believe that it offended people so that they have a story to cover out of nothing, this stuff happens all of the time. Obviously some people might have been offended because honestly people get offended by anything these days.

There is a pretty big difference in satire and racism. Sometimes it's not delivered very well but it still doesn't mean the man is racist.

And why would someone apologize for somebody else saying something like that?
    i agree, where are all the offended people?, how could it possibly be a racist comment, go to bar in the middle of the country on a friday night if you want to know what a real racist comment sounds like

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Given that he's been in an "interracial" marriage for 15 years, I don't see anyone making serious headway with a racist accusation.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by redsunrising15 View Post
    political issues should never, ever have involvement with the color of a person's skin.
    As long as people recognize "whites" and "blacks" instead of people, racism continues.
    Well, get used to it because the is never going to change. Bias based on skin color has existed for thousands of years. The only thing that will ever resolve that is when the races are completely eliminated by mix raced relationships. Even then I'm sure humans will find another excuse to hate each other and cause divide.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    What would happen if we had a single President? The First Hand? It's silly.
    Now I want to run for president of USA, just to be able to make that joke in front of a camera that connects to the entirety of that part of the world. Although I would probably end up being thrown out early, after turning all of USA into one great big beaurocracy, and insert The Golden Throne in the Oval Room, and insist that people refer to me as "The Immortal Emperor of Mankind".

Quote Originally Posted by FunFarm View Post
    and insist that people refer to me as "The Immortal Emperor of Mankind".
    The Emperor protects! (And having a loaded bolter never hurt, either.)