Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    It was never stated that it was a combination of the two elements in the series. In fact, we haven't seen a single bending style that combines two elements into one. People just assumed that it was a combination of the two.
    I feel that stuff like lava bending does require atleast some connection with a 2nd element. Because Bolin's genetics includes both earthbending and firebending, it should affect his affinity to do something like lavabend. This was also hinted with metal bending being something that cant always be taught, it implies genetics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrgannus View Post
    Lava bending really is his best point. It really doesn't make sense, but it didn't kill the show for me or anything
    No show explains every single detail, 100% of the time. Especially at every single instance that detail is revealed.

Bolin had a hidden affinity to bend molten earth, thats it. Nothing else to it. Its stupid to try to have a discussion about it, besides speculation. Maybe in season 4 they will explain Bolin's lavabending some more.
    Last edited by cityguy193; 2014-08-24 at 02:12 PM.
    Chronomancer Club

Quote Originally Posted by Narna View Post
    Season 3 was pretty good in my opinion, but did anyone else wish there were more fights? Don't get me wrong, the fights that happened were awesome, especially in the later episodes, but... I just wish there was more.
    I was surprised at how many fights there were, actually. So, no.

Its all your opinion, whats stupid is to tout it as fact, especially when the mass majority do not agree.
    Well when you're getting basic points wrong, then I wouldn't be saying people are touting opinion as fact.

Also you seem to think I care what the "mass majority" think. That doesn't default make what they think right.

Going to leave this here. Oh, you should also go back and watching book 1, "Leaf in the Wind", where Tenzin also outright states that air is the element of freedom.
    You do realize that just because this was brought up in the first series, that doesn't make it fine that they don't connect it back to what Zaheer is doing in this series. Especially when the show doesn't do this whatsoever.

Plus, don't tell me that Zaheer unlocking flight has nothing to do with chakras and detachment of earthly desires. The parallels are clearly there.
    Parallels made by fans after the fact to try and justify what the show didn't explain. Maybe instead of wasting several minutes throughout the season with unfunny Bolin moments, they could have actually explained stuff. Honestly, for his only role being the comedic relief, he's probably one of the most unfunny and plain stupid characters in the show.

"Let go of your earthly tether,
    Enter the void,
    Empty and become wind."
    Interesting how Aang still can't fly then. Hm?

Because Bolin's genetics includes both earthbending and firebending, it should affect his affinity to do something like lavabend. This was also hinted with metal bending being something that cant always be taught, it implies genetics.
    This, ladies and gentlemen, is what I was referring two when I brought up fanon.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2014-08-24 at 02:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do hope the next season will build more upon the Red Lotus and their intentions. Even if it's only one episode where they meet a character that explains it all.

Quite frankly, besides building more upon the Red Lotus I wouldn't even know what the theme of the next season should be. I'm not sure if the "air nation rebalancing the world for the avatar" is going to be a behind the scenes thing or if we will see more of them trying to fix the world while the avatar recovers.

Also completely besides the point, I think Korra will die somehow by something/someone rather than die of old age. I don't know why, but the title "Legend of Korra" just brings this up to me for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Well when you're getting basic points wrong, then I wouldn't be saying people are touting opinion as fact.

Also you seem to think I care what the "mass majority" think. That doesn't default make what they think right.
    You can sit in your corner alone, and say you are right then. We will all roll our eyes while you do so.

- - - Updated - - -

This, ladies and gentlemen, is what I was referring two when I brought up fanon.
    This is speculation? It can be 100% wrong, the point what that it was speculation of the actual reason why. Did you see where I typed, "I feel." It was not explained yet, and may be explained in the next season.
    Really, you just seem overly sensitive and attached, and looking for non-points to attack. Go outside, you need it.
    Chronomancer Club

Quote Originally Posted by Ermahgerd View Post
    I do hope the next season will build more upon the Red Lotus and their intentions. Even if it's only one episode where they meet a character that explains it all.

Quite frankly, besides building more upon the Red Lotus I wouldn't even know what the theme of the next season should be. I'm not sure if the "air nation rebalancing the world for the avatar" is going to be a behind the scenes thing or if we will see more of them trying to fix the world while the avatar recovers.

Also completely besides the point, I think Korra will die somehow by something/someone rather than die of old age. I don't know why, but the title "Legend of Korra" just brings this up to me for some reason.
    I don't think we will see MUCH more to the Red Lotus. Probably some background thing like the spirits have been this season. There will likely be a new threat.

Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    You can sit in your corner alone, and say you are right then. We will all roll our eyes while you do so.
    Roll your eyes when you keep getting schlock for story. Some of us actually want it to be better than it is.

This is speculation? Did you see where I typed, "I feel." It was not explained yet, and may be explained in the next season.
    Really, you just seem overly sensitive and attached. Go outside.
    Ironic that you seem to be the one far more emotional than I supposedly am. And yes, you're claiming a fanon argument here. I'm a bit confused because your comment seems to both reinforce that while also being angry that I called it that. Maybe try an actual argument instead of making half your post just an ad hominem attack.

i just assumed the flight was a strictly spiritual ability in no way connected to airbending

Roll your eyes when you keep getting schlock for story. Some of us actually want it to be better than it is.

Ironic that you seem to be the one far more emotional than I supposedly am. And yes, you're claiming a fanon argument here. I'm a bit confused because your comment seems to both reinforce that while also being angry that I called it that.
    I forgot. You are the savior of this show, complaining on a world of warcraft fansite with an audience of 30 people browsing this fanthread.
    No, I am annoyed that you think any speculation is indicative of the real thing. I am also annoyed because frankly, you are an frequent poster on this site that contributes very little to actual conversation.

You just want to feel special, thats all. If you actually care about the story, and not attention, go to bigger boards and voice your opinion there, instead of randomly pointing about apparent instances of "fanon."
    Chronomancer Club

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    i just assumed the flight was a strictly spiritual ability in no way connected to airbending
    I just figured that because airbenders, ya know, bend air that the best of the best would be able to control the air around them, allowing them to fly.

People have to start using more of their imagination instead of trying to find the exact reasonings behind stuff. It ruins the show for you.

Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    I forgot. You are the savior of this show, complaining on a world of warcraft fansite with an audience of 30 people browsing this fanthread.
    No, I am annoyed that you think any speculation is indicative of the real thing. I am also annoyed because frankly, you are an frequent poster on this site that contributes very little to actual conversation.

You just want to feel special, thats all. If you actually care about the story, and not attention, go to bigger boards and voice your opinion there, instead of randomly pointing about apparent instances of "fanon."
    Really, you just seem overly sensitive and attached, and looking for non-points to attack. Go outside, you need it.

I just love that you say I don't contribute anything when I've been explaining my points this entire time. Be honest with me, yourself, and this website. You're saying this because you don't agree with me. Its really quite pathetic when you think about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ermahgerd View Post
    I just figured that because airbenders, ya know, bend air that the best of the best would be able to control the air around them, allowing them to fly.

People have to start using more of their imagination instead of trying to find the exact reasonings behind stuff. It ruins the show for you.
    So it ruins the show if the show...doesn't make sense of itself. I guess that follows through. You're totally correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just want to point out a couple things about Zaheer and his abilities:

1. He was a skilled fighter who studied airbending philosophy and was going to serve as Korra's airbending teacher. He then unlocks airbending and you expect him to be bad at it?

2. He's not that ridiculous at airbending either. Tenzin who is a master and has been an airbender all his life pretty much kicks his ass.

3. When he is fighting Korra he is mostly just dodging her attacks. She is in the Avatar form and it was shown in ATLA that the Avatar form basically clouds you judgement and makes you fight based on instinct. Wouldn't be too hard to outsmart someone in that state, plus she also was weakened by the poison which was obviously quite potent because it made her super weak after the fact.

4. You are mistaking ability for skill. Aang couldn't fly because he was in love with Katara. Tenzin can't fly because he loves his family. They are both objectively better airbenders than Zaheer but their love is literally weighing them down. Zaheer lost the person he loved and with that had nothing left on the Earth that was weighing him down. It is never stated that flying is hard.

10+ Year Old Account

I just love that you say I don't contribute anything when I've been explaining my points this entire time. Be honest with me, yourself, and this website. You just make this point because you don't agree with me. Its really quite pathetic.

- - - Updated - - -

So it ruins the show if the show...doesn't make sense of itself. I guess that follows through. You're totally correct.
    I don't even know what you're trying to say here. At this point you're just trying to bait me out, starting a fight. If you seriously have nothing productive or friendly to post, please just f!@ing leave the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I just want to point out a couple things about Zaheer and his abilities:

1. He was a skilled fighter who studied airbending philosophy and was going to serve as Korra's airbending teacher. He then unlocks airbending and you expect him to be bad at it?

2. He's not that ridiculous at airbending either. Tenzin who is a master and has been an airbender all his life pretty much kicks his ass.

3. When he is fighting Korra he is mostly just dodging her attacks. She is in the Avatar form and it was shown in ATLA that the Avatar form basically clouds you judgement and makes you fight based on instinct. Wouldn't be too hard to outsmart someone in that state, plus she also was weakened by the poison which was obviously quite potent because it made her super weak after the fact.

4. You are mistaking ability for skill. Aang couldn't fly because he was in love with Katara. Tenzin can't fly because he loves his family. They are both objectively better airbenders than Zaheer but their love is literally weighing them down. Zaheer lost the person he loved and with that had nothing left on the Earth that was weighing him down. It is never stated that flying is hard.
    also even if they didn't have a loved one, how many people are just gona assume "oh i have no world attachments, guess i should be able to fly now weeeeeeeee"

I don't even know what you're trying to say here. At this point you're just trying to bait me out, starting a fight. If you seriously have nothing productive or friendly to post, please just f!@ing leave the thread.
    Jesus Christ. Fine. Have fun with your guys' circle jerk. I don't know why I expected this thread to be different than any other fandom and just totally shit over anybody who had remotely any issues with something they like. Even if said criticizer loves the show and franchise themselves and is upset that the storytelling is as shit as it is.

Best storytelling ever!

10+ Year Old Account
    Jesus Christ. Fine. Have fun with your guys' circle jerk. I don't know why I expected this thread to be different than any other fandom and just totally shit over anybody who had remotely any issues with something they like. Even if said criticizer loves the show and franchise themselves and is upset that the storytelling is as shit as it is.

Best storytelling ever!
    Honestly, you hit the nail on the head. I won't even deny it in the slightest. We like it a lot. If we thought the story was mega crap, we wouldn't like it as much. Most of us don't think the story is mega crap. Maybe we're wrong, maybe we're right, but arguing objectivity in this debate is dubious truth be told. At the end of the day though, we are a fandom. We lose this isht

10+ Year Old Account

Best storytelling ever!
    There's a difference between posting constructively and posting negatively. From what I've seen you've only been negative, trying to force feed your opinions. I've said this in the Wildstar thread as well, it is not fun seeing constant negativity. Just because you think the story telling is shit, doesn't mean others do. And even if we do, we don't try to force feed it down other people their throats constantly.

Besides, it more or less seemed like you were only discussing with one person. Instead of littering the thread, why not just PM one eachother?

10+ Year Old Account
    You do realize that just because this was brought up in the first series, that doesn't make it fine that they don't connect it back to what Zaheer is doing in this series. Especially when the show doesn't do this whatsoever.

Parallels made by fans after the fact to try and justify what the show didn't explain. Maybe instead of wasting several minutes throughout the season with unfunny Bolin moments, they could have actually explained stuff. Honestly, for his only role being the comedic relief, he's probably one of the most unfunny and plain stupid characters in the show.

Interesting how Aang still can't fly then. Hm?
    It's the exact same philosophy and it has happened plenty of times in Legend of Korra where a character (basically all the villains) has emulated things that have been tied to the Avatar otherwise. I.e. energybending and bloodbending to remove someone's bending like Amon did, or becoming equivalent to the Avatar like Korra's uncle did by merging with Vaatu. The Avatar universe has so much lore at this point that you can very well tie various abilities and techniques together to make them correlate, like in this case. It is hardly a stretch and it is in fact ridiculous how much you don't try to think about any of this stuff or want to see it from this angle.

Explanations can lie just as well in the subtext of an already established canon. Also, don't go off on a rant about a character that has nothing to do with the discussion. You take every moment to make jabs at anything and it doesn't help your point at all.

Because Aang's chakras were locked for all of Avatar:TLA until Ozai accidentally opened his final chakra and released the Avatar state (which ironically made him able to fly in the Avatar state). Plus, he did not seek to try to fly outside the Avatar state like Zaheer constantly was trying to do (not to mention Aang's earthly attachment to Katara in both a figurative and literal sense weighed him down). Heck, it's not like air is the only element where someone has been able to fly in either show (which would be fire), so why the heck is it surprising to see the freaking element of air being capable of full on flight? You are really pulling at straws here.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2014-08-24 at 03:10 PM.

Deleted
    It was a long time ago since I watched season 1 but I remember that I liked the villains in it because they were better written.

Unalock and Zahear felt very cliché and were basically evil becasue they were evil.

Deleted
    Asmuch as I understand the need of defending a show you really like. This is not a thread were you raise the show to skies. You are allowed to say what you think of it, being it positive or negative. Telling someone who has something negative to say about the show to leave the thread is NOT okay.