Katarra sweated and made her own water. Water is the most OP bending of them all lol.

Fire is weak since you need to sort of be pretty close to someone to actually burn them effectively. Lightning is a plus but come on, only three people in Last Airbender knew how to and it can be fucking reflected.

Earth is so boring, at least the way most people use it. All you do is throw rocks. The Dai Lee were pro but who the fuck is going to carry around a rock on their hand 24/7? Metalbending doesn't count, but is just as boring.

Air is lol. You can fly which is nice, and then maybe cut or push stuff, but otherwise it's weak. The acrobatics you do with air bending any flexible athletic bender could compensate with. Especially since you have like zero offense anyway.

Water bending has freezing, healing, you can make it sharp, it's so fucking flexible, blood bending, heavy waves.

Deleted
    Well, most of it is just because its a cartoon. If you had bending in Real Life most things would instant kill you ^^ Never underestimate smaller rocks at high velocity, they can pierce almost all defenses, air bending could create a vacuum around opponents and suffocate them, fire and lightning by itself is already dangerous but controlled by someone? And i dont even have to mention what bloodbending could do to you, watershells around your head so you would drown, arent nice either. I could settle for any of those and be extremly happy with it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Katarra sweated and made her own water. Water is the most OP bending of them all lol.

Fire is weak since you need to sort of be pretty close to someone to actually burn them effectively. Lightning is a plus but come on, only three people in Last Airbender knew how to and it can be fucking reflected.

Earth is so boring, at least the way most people use it. All you do is throw rocks. The Dai Lee were pro but who the fuck is going to carry around a rock on their hand 24/7? Metalbending doesn't count, but is just as boring.

Air is lol. You can fly which is nice, and then maybe cut or push stuff, but otherwise it's weak. The acrobatics you do with air bending any flexible athletic bender could compensate with. Especially since you have like zero offense anyway.

Water bending has freezing, healing, you can make it sharp, it's so fucking flexible, blood bending, heavy waves.
    I wouldn't call water OP, you apparently missed the episodes where they were all stuck in a desert and Katara wasn't exactly a huge help. She was fairly helpless in Omashu as well, as I would assume her to be helpless in most of the Earth kingdom (mostly mountainous/barren lands). Blood-bending is WAY overpowered but balanced out by the fact that only the most gifted waterbenders can pull it off, combined with only full-moon nights would make it a 1-in-a-million thing. Amon and his family were the equivalent of mutated freaks so they don't count :P
    If you look back through quite a few episodes you will notice that the water comes out of nowhere. It's just sort of there for Katara to use, but never explained where the hell it came from. That, or there's always some convenient fountain/pond/lake nearby which really doesn't make sense because water features aren't all THAT freaking common. The reality would've been that every now and then Katara would've found herself with no water to use other than her water-pouch. I'll still admit it is very strong, if not right up there at the top because of the ability to heal and freely change states...something no other element can do.

Fire was shown to be weak because...I hate to say this, but it was a PG show on a PG channel. If they brought reality into things, once you've been attacked by a firebender you would be in fucking hospital suffering 3rd-degree burns. Take what happened to Zuko's eye and apply that to the whole body. In the show the only thing fire could do was knock over people/objects (which doesn't even make sense because fire in itself can't apply physical force).
    Also you don't need to be close to someone, see Zuko at the end of Book 2. He was pretty much firing long-range fireballs and that massive "pyroblast" style move, followed by what looked like 25-meter long dual flame whips. Those moves had incredible range! Lightning is a very easy way an expert firebender can beat a waterbender, just electrocute the water and sparks will fly. Redirecting lightning is also quite dangerous to the person who does it.

Earth wasn't shown to it's true potential, I'll agree with that. The Dai Lee were pro not because of their hand-rocks, they are professional earth-benders as well...the hand-rocks act as handcuffs because they are basically police. If you want to see the truth power of earthbending look at Aang vs Ozai (final eps), he uses the super-dense earth ball shield thingy which looks almost impossible to break through (had it not been for the comet giving Ozai all that power) followed by the avatar state gattling-gun style method where he compressed the rocks to ultra-high density and the fragmented them like bullets. Holy shit that move was nuts. But regardless of whether you find earth weak/boring, fact of the matter is that where there are people there will be earth...99% of the world's population lives on land. That's more than enough leverage towards that element :P

Air - this is a tricky one. It's true the element seems to have like zero offensive moves, being mostly about avoidance/evading and hitting enemies with wind blasts (which barely hurt them). But the show tries REALLY hard to compensate because during most of the first book Aang is pretty much unstoppable, he appears to have the "god" element lol. Case in point - he shits all over Zuko in every encounter, beat Toph on their first encounter and it would've been interesting to see him fight a waterbender.
    There is quite a bit of talk that an airbender could make the air in an enemy's lungs blast, or quite easily suffocate enemies, or use a whirlwind to throw them 50 feet into the air and let gravity take care of the rest...but unfortunately none of those moves were used. The "mastery" form of Airbending is also completely unknown. Water > Blood, Earth > Metal, Fire > Lightning, Air > ???. Lookout, it could be something pretty crazy :P
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    lol, while yes a skilled athlete could do most of the acrobatics, an airbender can do all of that essentially in a vacuum or be supported by air (how do you think aang runs so fast?) so they would have a considerable advantage there.

plus, no offense.... really? an angry airbender can be an unstoppable killing machine, why do you think there were so many dead firebenders at the southern temple? first off airbenders can suck the air straight from someone's lungs, which would knock that person out very quick (put a person in a vacuum and they would only be conscious for 15 seconds even if they held their breath, and firebenders are powerless in one) plus they can control air pressure. it takes a sudden change of 3 psi from normal to cause severe injury or death in an average human, even if you consider people in avatar are extremely durable, a motivated airbender could kill VERY easily.

the fire nation used the comet for 2 reasons. 1) for the element of surprise and a synchronized attack and 2) because otherwise THEY COULD NOT WIN. also if you add into the equation that airbenders focus on dodging and evading, they can keep themselves out of harms way easily as well

ever wondered why they were such a peaceful race?

it's because the world NEEDED THEM TO BE

---------- Post added 2013-02-18 at 03:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    If you look back through quite a few episodes you will notice that the water comes out of nowhere. It's just sort of there for Katara to use, but never explained where the hell it came from. That, or there's always some convenient fountain/pond/lake nearby which really doesn't make sense because water features aren't all THAT freaking common. The reality would've been that every now and then Katara would've found herself with no water to use other than her water-pouch. I'll still admit it is very strong, if not right up there at the top because of the ability to heal and freely change states...something no other element can do.
    well you have to remember the time period this is based off of, water needed to be everywhere so that people in villages would have something to drink. generally in these areas cities and towns are built AROUND water sources. (though omashu and basingse are kinda weird in this regard, where do they get their drinking water?)
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

You made the movie up. It only exists in your head. Though me and your psychiatrist would like to discuss the religious overtones and madame penis-hair with you.

I would probably call earth the most OP of the elements, because its the only one you can use for passive defense. Water, air and fire all require the user to be actively bending to defend himself, while the earthbender can just raise a wall and call it a day. Waterbenders can create a wall of ice, but its less durable, will melt in higher temperatures and waterbenders seem to be able to manipulate less at a time. The other elements may get the advantage in small-scale battles, but there are few things that can break earthbender fortifications.
    Last edited by ijffdrie; 2013-02-18 at 03:52 AM.
    A look at the warcraft novels, RPG books, games and magical french space soccer.

Glory to person-whose-name-I-dont-know-but-rules-Kul-Tiras!

Deleted
    Lets just agree that we all would love an adult version of the series

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranku View Post
    well you have to remember the time period this is based off of, water needed to be everywhere so that people in villages would have something to drink. generally in these areas cities and towns are built AROUND water sources. (though omashu and basingse are kinda weird in this regard, where do they get their drinking water?)
    well as far as Katara's water comes from doesnt she have a gourd or something she carried it in? also Basing-se has the lake nearby and i wouldnt be surprised if there is a river below Omanshu in the canyon
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    well as far as Katara's water comes from doesnt she have a gourd or something she carried it in? also Basing-se has the lake nearby and i wouldnt be surprised if there is a river below Omanshu in the canyon
    Put water in the air, after a while more water joins with it, how do you think clouds form? so with katara's pouch, and a little bit of effort she could draw the water in the air to herself.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you look back through quite a few episodes you will notice that the water comes out of nowhere. It's just sort of there for Katara to use, but never explained where the hell it came from. That, or there's always some convenient fountain/pond/lake nearby which really doesn't make sense because water features aren't all THAT freaking common.
    Katara carried around a water pouch specifically for those times when there was no water nearby. They actually called it 'her bending water' in the show.

Also, it's not that unusual for there to be water sources around. For most of the series they were near the ocean or following rivers, and even when they weren't, towns always have wells. They have to.

The "mastery" form of Airbending is also completely unknown. Water > Blood, Earth > Metal, Fire > Lightning, Air > ???. Lookout, it could be something pretty crazy :P
    I'm also curious how healing is part of water bending. It was never explained and always seemed more like a plot device than legitimate thing water could do.

Deleted
    There are no movies o_O
    Avatar: The Last Airbender has ~61 episodes in total across all 3 books/seasons (water, earth, fire).
    There's also some extra stuff:
    > An un-aired pilot episode
    > Escape From The Spirit World (episode "40.5"), an animated graphic novel which bridges book 1 and 2.
    > A bunch of "chibi" shorts, just funny mini-animation clips featuring everyone with giant heads and small bodies :P
    > LOTS of comics - The Lost Adventures, and also The Promise.

Finally, Avatar: The Legend of Korra has 12 episodes in the 1st book/season (air). It is currently ongoing, the next book coming up sometime this year.
    Thanks for the useful information. I got interested in watching series after seeing some episodes from tv (it is aired as a morning cartoon here in Finland) and seeing this rather big thread on it here.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demitorn View Post
    Korra is taking way to long to come out with this next season. A whole year for a next season seems a little ridiculous.
    Um... what? Most TV shows only have one season a year. How is this different from any other show on television? (that isn't on USA or TNT)

10+ Year Old Account
    Do note that it was originally supposed to be a mini series.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Most shows that have only 10-13 episodes a season which book 1 was only 12 tend to have close to or even slightly over a full year between seasons. The best shows on television are this way imo. When you're doing in the ballpark of a dozen episode seasons the writing is so much tighter and not full of extra stuff that doesn't make a difference. Many many 20+ episode shows have filler spaced through out to just kinda delay a main story, because the channel purchasing it wants so many but their plans for the season could have been done in 1/2 as many episodes.

So many good shows on TV are done like Korra though. Break Bad, Mad Men, Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Spartacus, Doctor Who, Dexter, ect. Heck Mad Men due to some behind the camera issues had a near 20 month break between season 4 and 5 (I think it was cause contracts had to get renewed, which is costly cause the cast can demand more at that point). The worst wait, best show around to me is Sherlock, not to be confused with the American Elementary. They, in a series, adapt 3 Sherlock Holmes stories and it's all aired in 3 weeks, then Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman then get busy doing movie after movie (not to mention the writers being busy). So its months and months before that can film the next 3. The last episode (which has a huge cliffhanger) was played Jan 15, 2012 and production isn't starting until next month so you can bet on this fall before it airs.

Spoilers Warnings Below
    As for my feelings of Korra Book 1 I personally loved it, I think they have some of the best animation and art direction on any show currently. I actually loved the focus on Republic City. It had a lot going on in it politically, culturally, and socially; and was a good change of pace. ATLA had an adventurous thing about it, which was also great, revealing the world of Avatar over its series to viewers an episode at a time. Though now with the first book complete I'd love to begin expanding in the world and seeing how the rest has changed since Aang's time. Which I've read book 2 is gonna be 1/2 in republic city and the rest elsewhere. My only concern for the next seasons is that I think Amon was just an amazingly interesting antagonist for Korra. When they killed him (I assume he didn't make it off the boat) I was rather shocked I was figuring he'd come back a greater force to be reckoned with wiser than before. My one complaint with the first book is in wrapping up the season they didn't address the non-bender population's valid claim of being victimized by benders. I actually wonder if they'll compromise and give this demographic representation on the council.
    Last edited by mahananaka; 2013-02-18 at 09:49 AM.

The "mastery" of air bending could be the super fast sprint that Aang used, even though Aang was still very young i think in the context of the show his airbending as at a masters level.

---------- Post added 2013-02-19 at 12:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ridesdel View Post
    Put water in the air, after a while more water joins with it, how do you think clouds form? so with katara's pouch, and a little bit of effort she could draw the water in the air to herself.
    This exact method was used in the show, its a episode in season 3 with the witch who blood bended people. She showed Katara how to draw water from plants etc and even from the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Do note that it was originally supposed to be a mini series.
    Exactly, iirc the first season was suppose to be shorter ( not 100% on this) and only after the first season was written nick wanted another season. Which explains everything about the poor pacing in season 1.

Sorry guys, was watching NBA All Star game last night and didn't want to reply from iPad. And then I got tired and went to bed.

For argument's sake let's ignore the specialized bending: Lightning, Metal, Blood. Also, let's just talk about Last Airbender bending.

I wouldn't call water OP, you apparently missed the episodes where they were all stuck in a desert and Katara wasn't exactly a huge help. She was fairly helpless in Omashu as well, as I would assume her to be helpless in most of the Earth kingdom (mostly mountainous/barren lands). Blood-bending is WAY overpowered but balanced out by the fact that only the most gifted waterbenders can pull it off, combined with only full-moon nights would make it a 1-in-a-million thing. Amon and his family were the equivalent of mutated freaks so they don't count :P

Fire was shown to be weak because...I hate to say this, but it was a PG show on a PG channel. If they brought reality into things, once you've been attacked by a firebender you would be in fucking hospital suffering 3rd-degree burns. Take what happened to Zuko's eye and apply that to the whole body. In the show the only thing fire could do was knock over people/objects (which doesn't even make sense because fire in itself can't apply physical force).
    Also you don't need to be close to someone, see Zuko at the end of Book 2. He was pretty much firing long-range fireballs and that massive "pyroblast" style move, followed by what looked like 25-meter long dual flame whips. Those moves had incredible range! Lightning is a very easy way an expert firebender can beat a waterbender, just electrocute the water and sparks will fly. Redirecting lightning is also quite dangerous to the person who does it.

Earth wasn't shown to it's true potential, I'll agree with that. The Dai Lee were pro not because of their hand-rocks, they are professional earth-benders as well...the hand-rocks act as handcuffs because they are basically police. If you want to see the truth power of earthbending look at Aang vs Ozai (final eps), he uses the super-dense earth ball shield thingy which looks almost impossible to break through (had it not been for the comet giving Ozai all that power) followed by the avatar state gattling-gun style method where he compressed the rocks to ultra-high density and the fragmented them like bullets. Holy shit that move was nuts. But regardless of whether you find earth weak/boring, fact of the matter is that where there are people there will be earth...99% of the world's population lives on land. That's more than enough leverage towards that element :P

Air - this is a tricky one. It's true the element seems to have like zero offensive moves, being mostly about avoidance/evading and hitting enemies with wind blasts (which barely hurt them). But the show tries REALLY hard to compensate because during most of the first book Aang is pretty much unstoppable, he appears to have the "god" element lol. Case in point - he shits all over Zuko in every encounter, beat Toph on their first encounter and it would've been interesting to see him fight a waterbender.
    There is quite a bit of talk that an airbender could make the air in an enemy's lungs blast, or quite easily suffocate enemies, or use a whirlwind to throw them 50 feet into the air and let gravity take care of the rest...but unfortunately none of those moves were used. The "mastery" form of Airbending is also completely unknown. Water > Blood, Earth > Metal, Fire > Lightning, Air > ???. Lookout, it could be something pretty crazy :P
    Katarra always had her water pouch and there was always water around anyway because people lived off of it. Plus, most of the trade those days involved water and sailing so ya there was an abundance of water. (This doesn't count too much for the metalized Republic City.) Water just has a ton of techniques.

Fire IS supposed to be devastating. Once you get burned you go down or squirm in pain. That's for a nonbender. But even if the show wasn't PG, in a real bender vs. bender fight Fire isn't gonna do much. Fire blast coming your way? Block it with some Earth, throw some water at it, or dispel it with an air blast. Or if you're a fire bender just break it up with your bare hands. (I never liked that lol.) Fire was good in the fire nation's utility of using the ability to fly balloons and smelt metal and fire catapults of fireballs and burning down villages but otherwise fire as an element is still a little weak compared to others.

Earth has potential but no normal bender is gonna is it properly. Earth shield is helpful for sure but you can't just surround yourself in a ball like Aang did or your opponent can do whatever they want to your friends or run away or whatever while you're in your turtle shell. Best example of shield is during the eclipse how the Earthbenders were protecting the vehicles with earth shields, and fire bombs broke their stability. And the earth bullet thing Aang did was baller as fuck, but that seems like an Avatar State only thing.

Air. Don't say Aang rocked everyone with his airbending. Zuko lost because he was a scrub who was still practicing the basics on the first episode. If it was Azula from episode one, even without lightning bending, Aang would be dead. And he didn't own earthbending, the reason tough lost was because he flew in the air so long -> SHE CAN'T SEE because he's not giving off vibrations from the earth. Any Earthbender who could see would compensate. Please don't talk about like creating vacuums and removing air and stuff. I'm convinced airbending will only work by pushing the air around you to fly or push air. There's no way you can wave your fingers and suddenly remove the air around someone or their lungs. You have to do something where your bodies motion controls the air.

Quote Originally Posted by ranku View Post
    why do you think there were so many dead firebenders at the southern temple
    ever wondered why they were such a peaceful race?

it's because the world NEEDED THEM TO BE
    Honestly I think you're being a little crazy here thinking the air nomads had to be peaceful. The reason there were dead firebenders was for the plot device to let Sokka know before Aang that the Fire Nation already raided the temple, before Aang saw Gyatsu.

Either way, Air Nomads DON'T KILL. That was the whole reason Aang invented energy bender for Ozai. No way those airbenders killed the firebenders, or if they did that's a plot hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightamethyst View Post
    I'm also curious how healing is part of water bending. It was never explained and always seemed more like a plot device than legitimate thing water could do.
    I think it originally just healed fire wounds, which made sense. It rejuvenated and replenished burnt skin. But it being able to heal Bolin's rock wound and bring back Jet's memories was kind of stupid to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Exoblade View Post
    Exactly, iirc the first season was suppose to be shorter ( not 100% on this) and only after the first season was written nick wanted another season. Which explains everything about the poor pacing in season 1.
    no the first season was only given 12 episodes that was it that's why it was the length it was.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

We...have a huge Korra thread. Please use that instead, I'm not about to be checking two threads on the same subject.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...egend-of-Korra

10+ Year Old Account

I think it originally just healed fire wounds, which made sense. It rejuvenated and replenished burnt skin. But it being able to heal Bolin's rock wound and bring back Jet's memories was kind of stupid to me.
    As I understood it the healing part of waterbending was about using bending to manipulate someone else's chi to heal them, in that sense, everything is correct, you can just think of the water as a sort of conduit for chi flow/manipulation. Also explains why it couldn't fix the chi blocking.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridesdel View Post
    As I understood it the healing part of waterbending was about using bending to manipulate someone else's chi to heal them, in that sense, everything is correct, you can just think of the water as a sort of conduit for chi flow/manipulation. Also explains why it couldn't fix the chi blocking.
    Even taking the more 'direct' approach, it'd still useful for all sorts of bruises and things like that.