Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    The interesting thing about A:LoK and A:TLA was that the style was very reminiscent of anime, yet not. This style, while Pierrot tries to adapt, still looks very much anime. Such a big shame. >_>
    What's wrong about it looking like anime?

Quote Originally Posted by Zelly View Post
    What's wrong about it looking like anime?

Because the previous style of it looking a lot like a mix of anime and cartoon was interesting. Outright anime.. well, not so much. Plus, the animation itself seems to have a quality drop as a consequence of switching studio.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Because the previous style of it looking a lot like a mix of anime and cartoon was interesting. Outright anime.. well, not so much. Plus, the animation itself seems to have a quality drop as a consequence of switching studio.
    I noticed this too but I let it pass for some reason. I hope Korra turns out to be better because those first two episodes now feel abysmal in retrospect.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    I noticed this too but I let it pass for some reason. I hope Korra turns out to be better because those first two episodes now feel abysmal in retrospect.
    I thought the first two episodes were really good. Bumi and Kaya are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Felir View Post
    I thought the first two episodes were really good. Bumi and Kaya are awesome.
    That's the problem though, I loved seeing Bumi and Kaya too, but that's not where the full love should be directed. When your side characters who won't have much to do in the actual story are more interesting than the main characters, there's something wrong. At the moment, if feels like the writers are just trying to follow every cliche of awful teen dramas out there. Like they just sat in a room and said aloud, "Hey, drek like Twilight is popular, why can't Legend of Korra?"

As for the animation, I'm fine with it. It looks a bit sleeker but not nagginggly different. So long as they don't go overboard on the over the top reactions I'll be fine. That's honestly my only dislike with western animation trying to look like anime. They try WAAAY too hard to emulate the cliche (I'm useing that word a lot when talking about this show these days...) actions and reactions in anime, like saying, "Look, look, it's just like your japanimies, now look at Korra's bust change sizes throughout the series!!"

It's like that new TMNT cartoon that tries too hard with it, that doesn't even look right considering the actual style of the show with two-dimensional styles jammed in.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get the hate with the teenage cliche thing. These flaws were always there, It had just come to a head when her uncle came in and started to insist he start training her. She also was under Tenzin for a while. She just saved the Bender world, coming from that high into like two months of just Tenzin, it would push any angsty teen to the edge. Seemed realistic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridesdel View Post
    I don't get the hate with the teenage cliche thing. These flaws were always there, It had just come to a head when her uncle came in and started to insist he start training her. She also was under Tenzin for a while. She just saved the Bender world, coming from that high into like two months of just Tenzin, it would push any angsty teen to the edge. Seemed realistic to me.
    Exactly what came to a head? That Tenzin wasn't fit anymore? That she was tired of being told what to do, by the people who SPECIFICALLY should tell her what to do?

Let's see... yeah, despite how literally everything Tenzin has said and done was for the better and proven right, I can see why Korra doesn't need her anymore. Forget how this is exactly what happened in the very first episode of the series, with her telling him to piss off with his airbending training, only for it to actually help her in the pro-bending tournament. Or how her brash actions nearly got her bending taken away when she tried to "fight" Amon and got utterly trounced. Ooo, or despite his help in trying to get her to contact Aang, which she eventually does when she's captured... But no, her Uncle has a special water-bending ability, better dump the guy who treated you like family for him, might as well have asked Amon to teach you his psychic blood bending...

Let's also look at the beginning of the episode, when she uses her airbending to beat a small child... Then she just sticks her tongue out at her in retaliation to being called a cheater. Yeah, real mature. I can't help but remember back to when Aang was ostricized by the other children because him being the Avatar would be "unfair".

Also, I just love the idea that she should be treated like royalty because she, "beat" Amon. Despite the fact that she clearly couldn't beat a drum, but yeah... Avatar.

That's the thing, Amon beat her, at every possible turn. What did Korra do? Knock him out of a window with a surprise attack... And what beat him? Bad writting because apparently people finding out he's a waterbender suddenly prevents you from killing a teenage girl who is half-dead on the floor. Then what happens next? Aang comes to save the day, not Korra, not anything she ever did, but deus ex machinAang.

Now, despite how stupid the whole ending was, I could forgive it if they did something with it. By making Korra either humble or doubting. Why couldn't Korra suddenly realize the obvious? That Amon was better than her and it was Aang that allowed her to get her bending, as well as everyone's? It would make her question how qualified she was, doubt her abilities and make her turn to a new source of power in her Uncle, who she is amazed can easily beat the spirits that she can't even touch.

But no, throw all character development out the window so she can act like the way she did at the start of Book one. I can't wait for the inevitable scene when she fully realizes her Uncle is psychotic and apologizes to her dad and Tenzin for being a stupid bitch.

Korra is a teenage girl. She's disrespectful, hot headed, brash and sure.. she acts like a child. But she's a teenager. On top of that she has had her ego inflated since she was a child, being brought up as someone who wields the ultimate power. Obviously she's going to be cocky and think she knows best.

Comparing her to Aang is one of the most ridiculous things ever. The kid was brought up as a nomadic monk. With few possessions... he learned to appreciate what he had. He then awoke 100 years later when his people had been wiped out. There was that shock put into him and the idea of this dire threat that he failed to save his people from. Aang had a sense of conviction and vengeance, an actual drive to do good from something that spanned over 100 years.

Plus, massive difference in ages. Aang was a pre-teen. Korra is an actual teenager. Puberty and hormones and shit. If you were once a teenager, I'm sure you acted in the same way that she does. But she's cocky since she has been moulded and brought up knowing that she was the Avatar, lacking any solid form of threat since Amon showed up.

P.S. Honestly, I enjoyed the episodes. And I strongly disagree with then making Unalaq a villain. They seem to be against making obvious characters villainous (see Asami for example, they ditched the idea of her turning bad because if was too predictable). Sure his actions ain't right, but I'm sure that there's something there to redeem him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ElyPop View Post
    Korra is a teenage girl. She's disrespectful, hot headed, brash and sure.. she acts like a child. But she's a teenager. On top of that she has had her ego inflated since she was a child, being brought up as someone who wields the ultimate power. Obviously she's going to be cocky and think she knows best.

Comparing her to Aang is one of the most ridiculous things ever. The kid was brought up as a nomadic monk. With few possessions... he learned to appreciate what he had. He then awoke 100 years later when his people had been wiped out. There was that shock put into him and the idea of this dire threat that he failed to save his people from. Aang had a sense of conviction and vengeance, an actual drive to do good from something that spanned over 100 years.

Plus, massive difference in ages. Aang was a pre-teen. Korra is an actual teenager. Puberty and hormones and shit. If you were once a teenager, I'm sure you acted in the same way that she does. But she's cocky since she has been moulded and brought up knowing that she was the Avatar, lacking any solid form of threat since Amon showed up.

P.S. Honestly, I enjoyed the episodes. And I strongly disagree with then making Unalaq a villain. They seem to be against making obvious characters villainous (see Asami for example, they ditched the idea of her turning bad because if was too predictable). Sure his actions ain't right, but I'm sure that there's something there to redeem him.
    Aang had vengeance? Since when?

Aang also had doubts which made him actually very likable to me. The problem I have with Korra is probably because here in Croatia teenagers are/were more mature, at least in my generation, to me Korra is more of a pre-teen brat.

Quote Originally Posted by Daraiki View Post
    Aang had vengeance? Since when?

Aang also had doubts which made him actually very likable to me. The problem I have with Korra is probably because here in Croatia teenagers are/were more mature, at least in my generation, to me Korra is more of a pre-teen brat.
    Welp, I snipped a part of that and forgot to paste it back in.

Sure he had an underlying want for vengeance and a sense of hatred for the Fire Nation and their actions (this was made apparent tons of times, yet he always reverted back to his monk teachings). Those teachings taught him otherwise. Those together shaped him, he was very conflicted with his decisions. As you said, doubts.

And she seems very standard teenage-like. Hell, I act like her a lot of the time, and I'm 19.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ElyPop View Post
    Welp, I snipped a part of that and forgot to paste it back in.

Sure he had an underlying want for vengeance and a sense of hatred for the Fire Nation and their actions (this was made apparent tons of times, yet he always reverted back to his monk teachings). Those teachings taught him otherwise. Those together shaped him, he was very conflicted with his decisions. As you said, doubts.

And she seems very standard teenage-like. Hell, I act like her a lot of the time, and I'm 19.
    Ely lets be fair, it these first two episodes destroyed her character development from Book 1. Then again she has reason to be angry at her dad and Tenzin, she was told that she was supposed to stay in the South Pole because Aang ordered it. I actually could see why she might be angry at her dad during those entire two episodes and to think about it for a second I could also see how she liked her dad's brother (weird name, hard to spell) once she saw him save the day regarding spirits.

To sum it up, now thinking about all of it, she has full reason to be angry and act the way she does, shit I'd be pissed if I was told to stay somewhere but it turned out to be lie. God dammit Ely, you're making me think again. She did show regret at the end of the second episode once she saw the armies roll in.
    Last edited by Duronos; 2013-09-16 at 09:03 PM.
    Hey everyone

Ely lets be fair, it these first two episodes destroyed her character development from Book 1. Then again she has reason to be angry at her dad and Tenzin, she was told that she was supposed to stay in the South Pole because Aang ordered it. I actually could see why she might be angry at her dad during those entire two episodes and to think about it for a second I could also see how she liked her dad's brother (weird name, hard to spell) once she saw him save the day regarding spirits.

To sum it up, now thinking about all of it, she has full reason to be angry and act the way she does, shit I'd be pissed if I was told to stay somewhere but it turned out to be lie. God dammit Ely, you're making me think again. She did show regret at the end of the second episode once she saw the armies roll in.
    She's a stubborn teen but she ain't stupid!

Angry or not, it doesn't take away from the fact that Tenzin has always done and known what was best. Take Book 1 for example, he was right at every turn. How many times was Korra right? Once, with Sato, and that's only because he wanted them to find him out. She even admits that she has no idea what she's doing, despite moments before ranting about how she shouldn't be told what to do, also despite how the two people doing so are her father and mentor, the two people she should listen to. And let's be fair, the whole, Aang didn't really send the white lotus, is just a re-write to create drama, nothing more.

The fact she's just as hot-headed with the, "I know what I'm doing," mentality just spits in the face of what happened in the first Book. Teenager or not, she should realize that she lost to Amon and that it was Aang who set everything right. But nope, not even glossed over. Now, she just acts like, "What ever, what ever, I do what I want! *snaps fingers*" And just like in Book one, when she acted the exact same... it all goes tits up. With her nearly getting hentai-ed by the snake-tentacle spirits, and her own Uncle going Sozin on us.

Maybe if she had ANY kind of track record for her attitude actually working out, maybe it would be redeeming, but no. And we already know how this will end, with her hanging her head down and saying she's sorry to both her dad and Tenzin for how she's acting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aang acted more mature/intelligent at the age of 12 than Korra is at the age of 16/17.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Aang acted more mature/intelligent at the age of 12 than Korra is at the age of 16/17.
    Aang was raised way different than Korra was. Aang was raised not knowing he was the avatar until the day that he hid in the ice. He was raised by Pacifist monks. And Aang was raised by the wisest of the monks at his temple.
    Korra on the other hand learned she was the avatar before she was 5, when she started to firebend AND waterbend. she spent her entire life being trained as the avatar, not as a normal person.

Everyone needs to take that into consideration. I feel like the writing has been great, really getting the whole teenager thing.

Yet they had massive differences in personality. That's why. Their external factors shaped them. Comparing Aang to a child who was secluded and controlled throughout her upbringing, and pretty much moulded into the avatar. Whereas Aang has the upbringing of a regular child.. fun loving, but he also had the influences of the monks and that lifestyle which was a lot simpler compared to Korra's.

- - - Updated - - -

Aang was raised way different than Korra was. Aang was raised not knowing he was the avatar until the day that he hid in the ice. He was raised by Pacifist monks. And Aang was raised by the wisest of the monks at his temple.
    Korra on the other hand learned she was the avatar before she was 5, when she started to firebend AND waterbend. she spent her entire life being trained as the avatar, not as a normal person.

Everyone needs to take that into consideration. I feel like the writing has been great, really getting the whole teenager thing.
    Hit the nail on the head.

Aang was a fuck off goofball for the majority of the first season, and he continued to show shades of this until the show's climax he just grew wiser in finding ways to justify his antics rather than blowing off his responsibilities. This is probably because he was raised specifically by a monk that encouraged having fun as a healthy way of life and he was surrounded by kids his own age with activities for them to enjoy.

Korra was kept in seclusion and under constant watch for over a decade and when she first gets brought to the city they may as well have erected giant signs reading "NO FUN ALLOWED" with the way she was treated. Tenzin fought her tooth and nail for every ounce of freedom she has gained so far.

People complaining about Korra's teenage angst need to realize that the other characters in the show are SPECIFICALLY feeding into said angst. And we get a ton more of that dumped on her with the new season where we find out her father has been hiding very important details of her family's past from her. Under normal circumstances it would be shitty to hide things like that but when your daughter is THE FUCKING AVATAR I would call it flat out stupid to never mention that you pissed off the spirits in the past and have done nothing to to appease the spirits in your new home. Important shit for the avatar to know, don't you think?

Any child raised in such rigorous structure would embrace a chance to do something new. And not only is her uncle's teachings seemingly different but they also seem to be something she is sorely lacking and is important in her role as the avatar. Of course she would jump at the chance, and with the information she had at the time I would support choosing to do so.

Then, everything changed when the Northern Water Tribe attacked...

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Aang was a fuck off goofball for the majority of the first season, and he continued to show shades of this until the show's climax he just grew wiser in finding ways to justify his antics rather than blowing off his responsibilities. This is probably because he was raised specifically by a monk that encouraged having fun as a healthy way of life and he was surrounded by kids his own age with activities for them to enjoy.

Korra was kept in seclusion and under constant watch for over a decade and when she first gets brought to the city they may as well have erected giant signs reading "NO FUN ALLOWED" with the way she was treated. Tenzin fought her tooth and nail for every ounce of freedom she has gained so far.

People complaining about Korra's teenage angst need to realize that the other characters in the show are SPECIFICALLY feeding into said angst. And we get a ton more of that dumped on her with the new season where we find out her father has been hiding very important details of her family's past from her. Under normal circumstances it would be shitty to hide things like that but when your daughter is THE FUCKING AVATAR I would call it flat out stupid to never mention that you pissed off the spirits in the past and have done nothing to to appease the spirits in your new home. Important shit for the avatar to know, don't you think?

Any child raised in such rigorous structure would embrace a chance to do something new. And not only is her uncle's teachings seemingly different but they also seem to be something she is sorely lacking and is important in her role as the avatar. Of course she would jump at the chance, and with the information she had at the time I would support choosing to do so.

Then, everything changed when the Northern Water Tribe attacked...
    Again, that would work, if this was Book One. But it isn't, despite the fact that they are apparently acting like it never happened. Korra should realize that Tenzin is a good mentor a wise teacher because what he's been teaching her has proven to help, she should realize that she isn't an indestructable bad-ass because Amon beat her every chance he had, she should realize that her own brash actions only hurt herself and those around because of said losses against Amon.

They are showing that she's learned nothing, which was a big problem with the first Book as a whole regarding her character. What happens when Book 3 comes along and she's ranting about some other minor issue? But it's okay... she's a teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    Again, that would work, if this was Book One. But it isn't, despite the fact that they are apparently acting like it never happened. Korra should realize that Tenzin is a good mentor a wise teacher because what he's been teaching her has proven to help, she should realize that she isn't an indestructable bad-ass because Amon beat her every chance he had, she should realize that her own brash actions only hurt herself and those around because of said losses against Amon.

They are showing that she's learned nothing, which was a big problem with the first Book as a whole regarding her character. What happens when Book 3 comes along and she's ranting about some other minor issue? But it's okay... she's a teenager.
    Korra's attitude hasn't changed because her treatment hasn't changed. At the start of book two we are shown Korra still cooped up in the temple despite not only having saved the city but also having saved the lives of Tenzin's family. She isn't going to learn from mistakes if none of her accomplishments get recognized. Constant negative reinforcement hurts development.

10+ Year Old Account

I already took that into consideration, as I had said quite a few times earlier that I KNOW what the writers are trying to get at with the whole "angsty spoiled teenager" thing.

It's just that those qualities are more often seen as negative ones than positive ones, and it doesn't make me like or sympathize with Korra as a character in the slightest. Deliberately annoying is still annoying.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze