10+ Year Old Account
    Guru Laghima
    Hey everyone

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Guru Laghima View Post
    Guru Laghima
    Why did this post (And the Profile and Sig attatched to it) make me laugh as much as it did?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    Why did this post (And the Profile and Sig attatched to it) make me laugh as much as it did?
    An airbender.
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Can't see why people are still going on about how they wanted Korra to die in the Avatar State. All that would do it piss people off and burn and potential for future stories they might make.
    I didn't say I wanted it, so much as I expected it. After the big punch to the soul that was the end of season 3 I wasn't expecting a happy ending.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    No, I'm saying that story writers should present their themes and narratives in the actual story. Not later in interviews.
    Except they did though context and a bit subtle for some people. Sadly there are still certain unwritten rules that prevented it from being more out right stated. The interveiw was just confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyres View Post
    Except they did though context and a bit subtle for some people. Sadly there are still certain unwritten rules that prevented it from being more out right stated. The interveiw was just confirmation.
    I disagree.

They were too subtle, to the point people weren't sure about it. That's not a sign of good story writing if your audience is confused about what you are saying. If you do subtle right then people should be able to silently nod to themselves when it's revealed not sit there go "Uh, what?" and "Does this mean ... X, Y or Z?".

Note: I am not in denial about Korrasami. I believed Korrasami was canon as soon as I saw the ending, so I'm not sticking my head in the sand.

I am not denying that it's true. That doesn't mean I think it's done well. It's still shoddily written and .. actually kind of childish and shallow, but then LoK had abysmal romantic plots. Not that TLA was perfect in that regard. It made me cringe as well, although I certainly do think LoK managed to top that, and Korrasami in the ending even more so. It felt more like a card to pull to make LoK's ending seem great when it really wasn't. I am fairly sure that we'd have people scrutinizing the finale as they have any other episode in Book 4 if not for it. But because of it, we now have people tossing their meat because "oh so progressive and subversive!!!!", and that's kind of disgusting to me.

We have the same people who thought LoK never lived up to TLA until the finale now saying LoK is a masterpiece that far overshadows TLA. Really? Blegh.

But I was apathetic to it all, if a bit annoyed by all the wanking by people that do so not because they like LoK, but simply because the ending tickled their "progressiveness" organ. It comes off as disingenuous and quite sad at worst, but that's tolerable. That a series that many of its watchers called mediocre at its worst times, and just decent at their best before the finale, and that is now called revolutionary because of that final scene isn't even the worst of gripes.

It's the deflection and blatant excusing by Konietzko. It's despicable how people who think it was badly written, with no hinting at all before the finale of book 3, which anyone has yet to find any evidence to the contrary for - by the way, beyond screaming: "SUBTEXT! SUBTEXT! It's not my fault you're too stupid to get it!" and linking me pictures of Korra and Asami smiling at each other or standing next to each other in book 1 or 2, which you would have to need shipperglasses for to actually believe. I could just as well ship KorraTenzin if pictures like that were proof, are replied to with a "well, it's not our fault you didn't see THE OBVIOUS HINTS (that, again, before book 3 finale were NOWHERE to be seen) -- perhaps try looking at it through any other lens than a hetero lens!". Oh, so people see through your shitty writing, and you respond by calling them small-minded bigots, basically?

That's the kind of shit that I expected from a desperate Korrasami shipper on MMO-Champion, pulling the whole bigotry card. And yet that didn't happen. MMO-Champion, with all its flaws, is less of a pit of infantile deflection than your own head, Konietzko. It's no sin for me to expect more from you, but it was obviously a mistake nonetheless. Poor sportsmanship, Konietzko. But obviously, bisexual me, with a cavalcade of RP characters of differing sexualities (anything but straight, to be frank) is looking at it with hetero lenses. That's the whole reason I couldn't see all the obvious hinting, and all the great writing put into Korrasami. It's not the fact that you screwed up at all.

Of course you now have a new group of people (some of which were never interested in LoK to begin with, but that's besides the point) backing you endlessly, who will gladly help you call the people who disagree with you bigots, so why would you care about what some of your fans think about you shitting on them? You might care when your 15 minutes of internet fame and godhood are over, but that's when I won't care anymore.

I've gone from likely missing Korra, to apathetic at the bad ending (for multiple reasons, Korrasami was one of them, but far from the only thing, and I would've hated a Makorra ending just as much), to hating it, simply because I was called a bigot for thinking bad writing is bad writing. Again, very childish, Konietzko.

(My last post on this whole ordeal, I reckon. It was spurred on by Konietzko's, frankly disgusting, words. Again, I thank you all in this thread for, in general, being more mature and respectful about your responses than the damn animation director of Legend of Korra.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Note: I am not in denial about Korrasami. I believed Korrasami was canon as soon as I saw the ending, so I'm not sticking my head in the sand.

I am not denying that it's true. That doesn't mean I think it's done well. It's still shoddily written and .. actually kind of childish and shallow, but then LoK had abysmal romantic plots. Not that TLA was perfect in that regard. It made me cringe as well, although I certainly do think LoK managed to top that, and Korrasami in the ending even more so. It felt more like a card to pull to make LoK's ending seem great when it really wasn't. I am fairly sure that we'd have people scrutinizing the finale as they have any other episode in Book 4 if not for it. But because of it, we now have people tossing their meat because "oh so progressive and subversive!!!!", and that's kind of disgusting to me.

We have the same people who thought LoK never lived up to TLA until the finale now saying LoK is a masterpiece that far overshadows TLA. Really? Blegh.

But I was apathetic to it all, if a bit annoyed by all the wanking by people that do so not because they like LoK, but simply because the ending tickled their "progressiveness" organ. It comes off as disingenuous and quite sad at worst, but that's tolerable. That a series that many of its watchers called mediocre at its worst times, and just decent at their best before the finale, and that is now called revolutionary because of that final scene isn't even the worst of gripes.

It's the deflection and blatant excusing by Konietzko. It's despicable how people who think it was badly written, with no hinting at all before the finale of book 3, which anyone has yet to find any evidence to the contrary for - by the way, beyond screaming: "SUBTEXT! SUBTEXT! It's not my fault you're too stupid to get it!" and linking me pictures of Korra and Asami smiling at each other or standing next to each other in book 1 or 2, which you would have to need shipperglasses for to actually believe. I could just as well ship KorraTenzin if pictures like that were proof, are replied to with a "well, it's not our fault you didn't see THE OBVIOUS HINTS (that, again, before book 3 finale were NOWHERE to be seen) -- perhaps try looking at it through any other lens than a hetero lens!". Oh, so people see through your shitty writing, and you respond by calling them small-minded bigots, basically?

That's the kind of shit that I expected from a desperate Korrasami shipper on MMO-Champion, pulling the whole bigotry card. And yet that didn't happen. MMO-Champion, with all its flaws, is less of a pit of infantile deflection than your own head, Konietzko. It's no sin for me to expect more from you, but it was obviously a mistake nonetheless. Poor sportsmanship, Konietzko. But obviously, bisexual me, with a cavalcade of RP characters of differing sexualities (anything but straight, to be frank) is looking at it with hetero lenses. That's the whole reason I couldn't see all the obvious hinting, and all the great writing put into Korrasami. It's not the fact that you screwed up at all.

Of course you now have a new group of people (some of which were never interested in LoK to begin with, but that's besides the point) backing you endlessly, who will gladly help you call the people who disagree with you bigots, so why would you care about what some of your fans think about you shitting on them? You might care when your 15 minutes of internet fame and godhood are over, but that's when I won't care anymore.

I've gone from likely missing Korra, to apathetic at the bad ending (for multiple reasons, Korrasami was one of them, but far from the only thing, and I would've hated a Makorra ending just as much), to hating it, simply because I was called a bigot for thinking bad writing is bad writing. Again, very childish, Konietzko.

(My last post on this whole ordeal, I reckon. It was spurred on by Konietzko's, frankly disgusting, words. Again, I thank you all in this thread for, in general, being more mature and respectful about your responses than the damn animation director of Legend of Korra.)
    You've probably never heard of him.
    Hey everyone

You've probably never heard of him.

Go home, Hipster Zaheer.

No, I'm saying that story writers should present their themes and narratives in the actual story. Not later in interviews.
    There isn't really any healthy discussion though. It would all be bashing left and right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Go home, Hipster Zaheer.
    Let go of your earthly tether.
    Hey everyone

Let go of your earthly tether.
    Enter the void. Empty and become wind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rising Flower View Post
    I thought I said this before but apparently I didn't. Mako really became a butt monkey by the end of this, didn't he?
    No. (Though I could have used less Prince Wu.) Just because he didn't end up with (either of) "the girl(s)" does not make him a "butt monkey" - Mako's role in 4th season wasn't perfect, but it ended with class and had its moments of awesome:

Best lightningbending ever.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    No. (Though I could have used less Prince Wu.) Just because he didn't end up with (either of) "the girl(s)" does not make him a "butt monkey" - Mako's role in 4th season wasn't perfect, but it ended with class and had its moments of awesome:

I think Mako should have spilled his heart to Korra at the end. It's obvious through book four he still has feelings for her. Even if Korra turned him down (which she would have, because she moved on... "Korrasami" or otherwise,) it would have been good for Mako's character to show that side of him... after he fell off the relationship with Korra, he just became a fairly one dimensional "cool, reserved tough guy" that acted the "straight man" to Prince Wu. Which is fine... but it's less of his character than we got to see in earlier books.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Enter the void. Empty and become wind.
    Live by these words and you may see other realities.
    Hey everyone

the more I think about the controversy surrounding TLOK, the more I realize how much better of a show TLA was.

Amon and Zaheer were pretty goon tho

eh, i marathon'd TLA after it had already been out for a while. i dismissed it as a kids show for a long time, because it is. i think it gets put on a pedestal way too much. what people call character building episodes i call filler, and it was formulaic in it's problem of the week format. not that i think korra was a masterpiece, far from it. it's just another story from the same universe, and that's all i see it as. i do like the series, and the premise behind the universe, and the lore. there's a lot of possibility, and that has usually been more entertaining than the story. the only truly enjoyable part is probably a guilty pleasure, and that's seeing someone utterly own people in the avatar state, which means korra fell short, especially in the latest book.
    Last edited by Gentlepenguin; 2014-12-26 at 04:22 PM.

There aren't really masterpieces, it's all opinions. I think Avatar is on of the best cartoons ever, simply because it's one of the few I've ever watched and followed. Might even be the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post

Wow...he's been gone all season I didn't realize Mako an Kuvs look exactly alike...
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    What? Was funny as hell, some random immediately referring to her as "goddess"
    Guess I'm some random

10+ Year Old Account
    My friday's seem so much more sad now that I can't wake up and watch Korra. I just re-watched the finale again and I cried again. I've been re-watching the seasons for the past week and it's just so hard to come to terms with it being over.