Poll: What is your social standing/background?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Its also worth noting that in the US people incorrectly ID themselves as middle class pretty often.
    Ironically, almost anyone from the North of England and Scotland etc... often incorrectly ID themselves as working class. It's the whole 'grass roots' kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Ironically, almost anyone from the North of England and Scotland etc... often incorrectly ID themselves as working class. It's the whole 'grass roots' kind of thing.
    Yeah in America you obviously don't want to be identified as poor, that much is obvious. But what's really odd is the number of wealthy people who identify as middle class. I've got friends who's parents make 150k a year and they swear they were middle class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah in America you obviously don't want to be identified as poor, that much is obvious. But what's really odd is the number of wealthy people who identify as middle class. I've got friends who's parents make 150k a year and they swear they were middle class.
    150k a year is just upper middle class my wife and I make about that and it's not as much money as you think sure we have a nice house, three nice vehicles, and several nice toys but I still have to budget my money wisely.I'm still going to have to work very hard till I'm about 60, I don't have a yacht, I don't get driven to work in a limo, no summer home in the Hamptons, of course I give a good amount of money to charities, and take care of my elderly parents.
    oh and my background is dirt poor both me and my wife. I dropped out of high school to go to work to help my family.

Parents are middle class and Im currently in school to be a teacher.

150k a year is just upper middle class my wife and I make about that and it's not as much money as you think sure we have a nice house, three nice vehicles, and several nice toys but I still have to budget my money wisely.
    I'm moved by your struggles. You're 50% above the top line for middle class, and 3 times the median wage.

Wealthy doesn't mean you have a yacht or a limo.

Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    150k a year is just upper middle class my wife and I make about that and it's not as much money as you think sure we have a nice house, three nice vehicles, and several nice toys but I still have to budget my money wisely.I'm still going to have to work very hard till I'm about 60, I don't have a yacht, I don't get driven to work in a limo, no summer home in the Hamptons, of course I give a good amount of money to charities, and take care of my elderly parents.
    oh and my background is dirt poor both me and my wife. I dropped out of high school to go to work to help my family.
    That's firmly upper class. Not that either way is a bad thing, but yeah, that's most certainly beyond middle class. Having to budget doesn't frankly mean anything.

Yeah budgeting how to spend your money on "three nice vehicles" isn't exactly a middle class problem

Student, dad is a lawyer and mom is a paralegal. Planning on med school.
    Whaleshark /spits on your science.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    That's firmly upper class. Not that either way is a bad thing, but yeah, that's most certainly beyond middle class. Having to budget doesn't frankly mean anything.
    Depends on where he lives. Compared to the national average, sure. But what if he lives someone where the cost of living is three times the national average? I don't have any statistics to show the differences in cost of living from city to city, but I know places like Boston, MA are significantly more expensive to live in than the average city such as the one I live in.

Well he lists his location as "middle of the desert" so I doubt it.

---------- Post added 2012-03-23 at 05:34 AM ----------

On top of that at 150K a year where you live is pure choice.

I'm a student, I'm not positive what my family is, but it is right in the middle of middle class and upper class, I just voted upper class just because it's pretty close. Though my parents jobs sound more middle class.

My parents are quite middle class. Neither of them is all that rich, but put together they make a decent living.

I've lived on my own since I was 18, and at first I was definitely poor. Even if I had quite an easy living because my parents paid my rent. Now I'd say I'm where a person in my profession should be, working class. I have an acceptable salary, even after taxes, and I'm able to save quite a lot of money (to hopefully move away from this god-awful city as soon as possible).

10+ Year Old Account
    I come from lower middle class. I have worked green collar all my life (military, paramilitary) which actually has propelled me into what might be considered upper middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Nengal View Post
    Depends on where he lives. Compared to the national average, sure. But what if he lives someone where the cost of living is three times the national average? I don't have any statistics to show the differences in cost of living from city to city, but I know places like Boston, MA are significantly more expensive to live in than the average city such as the one I live in.
    He said he had a nice house, 3 nice cars, and 'toys', whatever the hell those could be. Putting aside direct numbers, I think that's pretty telling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    My parents are middle-class. i'm on a form of "welfare"(cba to explain it), and i'm still in college.

My parents are in the Upper Middle despite being seperated. Mother was a VP at an international company and father is and still owns his own Security/IT business.

I'm currently firmly in the mid-middle class.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphorism View Post
    I am very happy that I live in the US and this shit isn't nearly as important over here.
    It's only unimportant if you're in a comfortable bracket. The divides are larger now than ever.

I picked upper class, CEO and business partner daddy, but family doesnt talk about money

Deleted
    No idea:P

Rich parents, but no income.. so um. I went back to uni, so at the moment I pretty much live in a mansion(parents old place, they're only here for like 2-3 months a year) but count every cent and live off savings, social aid for students and odd jobs.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well he lists his location as "middle of the desert" so I doubt it.

---------- Post added 2012-03-23 at 05:34 AM ----------

On top of that at 150K a year where you live is pure choice.
    Whatever man- you have no idea what debts he may have- 150K won't buy you shit in many places if you have a lot of student loan debt. Hell- when I built my house we really had a hard time getting approved because of my our $400K in student loan debt- even with incomes totaling over $225K