Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Pretty sad. Some people are just messed up.

Deleted
    Just because something is advertised to it's fullest doesn't mean it's good.It was an OK movie but still nothing to go crazy about.Just another ''Twilight'' for kids to find new ''idols''.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't read the books nor have I watched the movie.

The concept of the movie/books does appeal to me though.

I don't think you can compare this series to Twlight when there is a very focused demographic (females primarily) on that series. Hunger games obviously has a focused demographic as well but it appeals to a much broader audience that Twilight ever did.

I had nothing to do with Harry Potter either, but obviously just from listening to people it had far more character than anything Twilight had ever produced.

Quote Originally Posted by pank View Post
    Just because something is advertised to it's fullest doesn't mean it's good.It was an OK movie but still nothing to go crazy about.Just another ''Twilight'' for kids to find new ''idols''.
    Twilight and Hunger Games are nothing alike. The former is liked only by little girls, teens or immature women... while the latter appeals to far wider audiences. Both in book and movie forms.

I'm a 40+ year old dad who liked the books a lot. Is it my favorite sci-fi story? Not close, but it was still a great read. The series actually gets better as it goes. I felt like the movie was an excellent adaptation. There's no way it could have the depth of the books because they were 90% internal dialogue. I'm not sure how good the movie would be if I had not read the series though. Blood and gore don't make the story, nor were they necessary. And the love triangle was one of the core conflicts in the book. She didn't mope about it too much (or I would have had to stop reading), but it was most definitely central.

As a note, neither the book nor the movie was anything like Twilight, which is total crap, or Harry Potter, which is decent overall.

Re: Ender's Game... few things are in the same league as that book. If your requirement for a good quality story is one that matches Ender's Game, you'll have a short reading list.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't read the book, but I saw this tonight and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. I went into it expecting the worst, like some kind of average girl power BS, but it was far better than that. Plus I enjoyed the costumes :P

I read the book and was surprised at how well the movie stuck to it. Aside from taking out sub plots (Which every film does!), changing Madge, and the muttations, everything else was nearly spot on. No complaints here.

I think the Hunger Games is good but it is not the 'OMG BEST THING EVER' a lot of people are making it out to be.

So I haven't read the book and maybe my opinion of the movie would change if I had. Overall I would give it 7/10, good but not great. My biggest problem I had was how predictable it was. Through the entire movie I knew it was going to come down to the two of them. I was hoping they would come up with a creative way to solve that obvious dilemma. The berry method actually would have been interesting. I think two kids eating berries would have been a bigger slap to the face than the actual result. The actual result reeked of twilight. I don't understand why that one guy was sent to the room at the end, not sure if I was supposed to be happy with that, he was never really developed as that evil of a person so I didn't care or understand. Why didn't they want her to win, I have no clue again not developed. Shaky cams are fine but this movie had WAY WAY to much of it. It made most of the action scenes hard to follow, and really ruined the final fight scene. The two mains really had no chemistry and I never bought into the love angle and didn't care about those scenes at all. The pacing of the movie was off, the last half dragged on and on. Overall the movie was too long, and I rarely ever say that about a movie.

The good. Acting was good. Jennifer Lawrence was fantastic and I did care about her even though it was painfully obvious were this was going. Stanley Tucci and Elizabeth Banks were excellent. Woody Harrelson was probably the best character in the movie, at least the most interesting. It didn't dive into his background but it didn't need too. The special effects and scenery were fantastic. As an idea its both terrifying and interesting just wish they would have dealt more with the dark side of this than they did. There were a lot of memorable scenes some of them haunting.

Edit: Cant believe I forgot Lenny Kravitz, he was great in precious and equally as good here.
    Last edited by theturn; 2012-03-31 at 05:43 AM.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

The Hunger Games

just seen "The Hunger Games" - after all the hype surrounding this film it turned out to be a bit boring and couldve been made a lot better - although i have read that they cut a lot of scenes to get it a 12a rating so hopefully the extended version when its out on dvd will be a lot better - and Jennifer Lawrence still looks hot in it though....:-0

sorry - just read teh sticky about putting the topic in front of whatever your writing about and cant change it now
    Last edited by btf; 2012-04-07 at 03:24 PM.

I went to see a "random movie", so I walked into the cinema knowing nothing about the movie at all (Not even that it was a teen movie). Upon the intro I thought "Oh, Battle Royale in american teen version. This could be... interesting" then halfway through the movie I found it so boring that I spent the latter half of the movie browsing for comments on my phone.

*SPOILERS ALERT*

The story develops so slowly and yet still haven't had enough time to build the characters for the audience to truly feel connected. The story spent like almost 2 hours about "finding sponsors" which didn't really seem to bother that much really (bothered even less for those dozen or so "tributes" that died in the first minute). But the one thing I really could not stand at all about this movie is how they're able to change the rules of the game at will. Halfway through the game they just announced that "Yay, 2 people can now win the game". Great ideas, especially for those that already killed their partners? One of the premise for the movie was teenage rebellion against rules imposed by the adults (where they spent like a good 10-20 minutes claiming how sucks it is and how they're not going to watch the show), but yet towards the very end when they just fix the rule on last spot, what did they do? They embraced the changed of rule without showing even a flicker of reluctance of the unreasonable change of rules of the game. Not even a single "they can't do this!". And the last minute scream "STOP!" to save the lives of the two suicidal teenagers was.... to sum up in one word, "lame".

I know there's a lot of fans out there and a lot of people really loved this movie. For me, I really regret spending 2+ hours of my life watching it.

If you're starting a thread about popular/much hyped movie it's highly likely that someone beat you to it. Searching isn't hard.

just finished reading the first book of the trilogy and tbh, found it a bit boring like the film - when i was told they deleted scenes to get a 12+ rating for the Uk showing i thought the book would have some gruesome parts in it, but no, nothing, its just like the film and if they did delete scenes then im left wondering why, there was nothing in the book that wasnt in the film - not the worst film and not the worst book, but both could have been better

Deleted
    The film was actually better than I expected, should probably read the books now. xD