Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealbinder View Post
    The same thing occurs with tall people. There is a correlation between height and pay at the workplace.
    Thank goodness I have this going for me, because I sure ain't got the attractiveness

EDIT: I also want to credit Sealbinder for using "correlation", as it may not be causation. My (anecdotal) experience is that taller/attractive kids are generally more confident than their shorter/homelier peers, and that can translate into more success later in life. I guess there's some causation involved, but it's a few steps removed.
    Last edited by Kalcheus; 2012-03-23 at 04:53 PM.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or you are falling into the trap of looking at correlation, not causation.... people who look good generally put time into their appearance. I know that if I have a major interview coming up, I put in about 2 hours overall in preparing myself. And it works. If you show up looking very clean, professional, but at the same time not run of the mill, and by that I mean don't try to blend in to everyone else around you, people respond to that. I know that if I were an employer, if it came between two men with equal credentials and qualifications, but one was in a crisp, ironed suit, combed clean hair, and knew how to manage his microexpressions well, and the other was disheveled, with oily half combed hair shadows under his eyes and 50 pounds more than whats health on him.... I'm going with the person who put time into his appearance. He cares about the position and he cares about the reactions of his boss, coworkers, and customers.

Even if you are a traditionally "ugly" there are ways around it to make yourself seem professional without needing to look like a dolled up nancyboy. You just need to manage your image and focus on how people respond to various styles. It isn't giving in to trends.. its recognizing the affect your physical appearance can have for others

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Or you are falling into the trap of looking at correlation, not causation.... people who look good generally put time into their appearance. I know that if I have a major interview coming up, I put in about 2 hours overall in preparing myself. And it works. If you show up looking very clean, professional, but at the same time not run of the mill, and by that I mean don't try to blend in to everyone else around you, people respond to that. I know that if I were an employer, if it came between two men with equal credentials and qualifications, but one was in a crisp, ironed suit, combed clean hair, and knew how to manage his microexpressions well, and the other was disheveled, with oily half combed hair shadows under his eyes and 50 pounds more than whats health on him.... I'm going with the person who put time into his appearance. He cares about the position and he cares about the reactions of his boss, coworkers, and customers.

Even if you are a traditionally "ugly" there are ways around it to make yourself seem professional without needing to look like a dolled up nancyboy. You just need to manage your image and focus on how people respond to various styles. It isn't giving in to trends.. its recognizing the affect your physical appearance can have for others
    People who look good by actively maintaining themselves such as good hygiene and well kept clothes (or perhaps cosmetic plastic surgery - although this falls into a scary place "no cosmetic plastic surgery, no bonus for you!")? Or people born with features that a majority of people personally find aesthetically appealing? I believe the OP was referring to the latter, were they not? The only types of jobs I personally know of that "flaunt" paying attractive people more then non-attractive people are "acting" jobs in the movies. Do other types of jobs "secretly" do so as well? If so, I would suspect "face-to-face customer service" type jobs being those that would...such as airline stewards, waiters/waitresses, return departments in stores, cashiers, etc...
    Last edited by crica; 2012-03-23 at 05:11 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    If that was the case, then women wouldn't be earning 30% less then men on average.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    If that was the case, then women wouldn't be earning 30% less then men on average.
    Do you have a reliable, factual source for this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    It is not the case. Perhaps it is the negotiating of salary where women need to make up ground? Stop accepting jobs when offered less than average salaries, or start picking up jobs in fields where women get paid more. Women would love to blame men, but nobody is making women take less money. They are choosing to.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jennagou...re-than-men/2/

It will be hard to really break the old white guy shell in business, but it is not 30% less anymore, that is for sure.
    Last edited by Roose; 2012-03-23 at 05:22 PM.
    I like sandwiches

I'm not sure if Noomz is quoting a more recent statistic, but the old "women get paid 70% what men do" was a misunderstood statistic. It was a combined average salary comparison, not a specific job role salary comparison.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

"Like us" cute, even though we disagree on a lot our humour is the same... drinks on me?

Anyways yes I think there is a causation going on there, more attrive people are well frankly more attractive. An employer will take the more attrtive of the two if they are both groomed and have the same creditials, its part of the sicking nature of humans. To which I find really sad people are juged on their looks.but then again I find a good lot of human nature strange.

I find people whom are really concened about their looks very ugly, people whom get all dressed up to impress their dates or put on make up when going outside eww

I cant believe how many people actually buy into these ridiculous statistics. I find it really sad.
    This is embarassing... please ignore my horrible username.

I went through a school program for pharmacy tech, got 4.0 perfect attendance and valedictorian and knew my shit, but although im friendly and nice im a big fat dude, all the hot chicks with nice asses and bubbly personalities who never showed up and barely even graduated got hired within 2 months tops and 8 months later I'm still looking for a job in my field lol take that for what you will in this discussion.

I'm a manager for a software development company and I'd do the opposite; I'd hire the unattractive one.

From my experience, attractive people tend to manipulate those around them, a trait which I can't stand and act as a distraction so I will try and not hire any more now. Sadly until recently I never applied the same logic to attractive men and it's led to the same results with our women and gay guys who work at the office.