10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation Interesting Bank Error

So yesterday I made you usual bi-weekly deposit and a very interesting bank error happened.

The check I was depositing was for $1002.00, I was getting back $311.00 in cash, leaving a net deposit of $691.00.

I did not count my cash upon leaving as I have never had an error and it seemed to slip my mind this trip (Go figure).

When I woke up this morning I went to distribute the cash to various places and when I counted the cash I was given $581.00. I figured OK they gave me too much cash and only $421.00 was deposited. Nope they deposited $535.00 according to the slip. I scratched my head and figured OK they gave me the wrong person envelope. Nope, I checked the account number and it was for my account.

So this is where I figured alright funky bank error, I'll call them on Monday when they open. However for the hell of it I checked my online banking to see if the $535.00 was actually deposited, and then it took a bigger twist! They deposited the $691.00 that was supposed to be deposited!

Now I sit here thinking to myself. How the hell does a twisted error like that occur, I was see if it was just a numeral mistake but DAMN! They only think that even remotely looks like my deposit is the $691.00. Lol

Any thoughts?

-Aerie

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

maybe the receipt just printed wrong

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    maybe the receipt just printed wrong
    Hmm that is a possible explanation for that part but regardless seems like such a big error for a printing mistake.

10+ Year Old Account
    So... they deposited the amount you meant and you ended up with an extra $110, right? It's good that you're going to call them and get it worked out. I've read a couple things where banks have made money errors where some "fortunate" people got hundreds of thousands deposited into their account through some fluke in the system. Let's just say they spent most, if not all of it and the bank and feds weren't too happy....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanto View Post
    So... they deposited the amount you meant and you ended up with an extra $110, right? It's good that you're going to call them and get it worked out. I've read a couple things where banks have made money errors where some "fortunate" people got hundreds of thousands deposited into their account through some fluke in the system. Let's just say they spent most, if not all of it and the bank and feds weren't too happy....
    Well the way I look at it is $110 isn't worth any future problems, I googled it just to see what came up and I read a few different post or articles about people getting hundreds of thousands of dollars in their account by accident, then spending it and getting jail time. I'm sure I wouldn't get jail time over $110 dollars. I like your sig btw Hanto!

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What Hanto said is true. Not sure what region you are in. But a close relative of mine had $34,000 wire transferred to his account from over seas. He got his money and used it for it's purpose, when a week later there was another $34,000 deposited from a wire transfer. He called his business associate over seas, but they tell him they didn't make another deposit. The money was left in his account for over a month when he decided to withdraw it and put it into a different bank that held his savings. Six months later he got called by his bank and told they made an error and that he will have to repay the $34,000 he withdrew with a threat to be taken to court for it. Luckily he didn't spend the money and he was able to clear it up with no issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds about right. That was the jist I had gotten from everything I read about large sums. I read a few about smaller amounts like mine saying that the bank called and wouldn't leave them alone but eventually they stopped calling, but I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle, its such a small amount, not worth it xD

Yea whatever you got wasn't worth it, eventually the difference will be caught, better to go in and figure out what happened.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dicertification View Post
    What Hanto said is true. Not sure what region you are in. But a close relative of mine had $34,000 wire transferred to his account from over seas. He got his money and used it for it's purpose, when a week later there was another $34,000 deposited from a wire transfer. He called his business associate over seas, but they tell him they didn't make another deposit. The money was left in his account for over a month when he decided to withdraw it and put it into a different bank that held his savings. Six months later he got called by his bank and told they made an error and that he will have to repay the $34,000 he withdrew with a threat to be taken to court for it. Luckily he didn't spend the money and he was able to clear it up with no issues.
    Putting it on a savings account is a good idea. You can pay it back if demanded and if it isn't - you can make some profit with it.
    Though if its obvious to you where the money came, you should be proactive about giving it back (for example a whole companys pay checks paid to your account)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawwad View Post
    Putting it on a savings account is a good idea. You can pay it back if demanded and if it isn't - you can make some profit with it.
    Though if its obvious to you where the money came, you should be proactive about giving it back (for example a whole companys pay checks paid to your account)
    Well I know I received too much but I have no clue where it came from :P That's part of why its so interesting, it seems to have poofed out of think air haha.

Thnks God they made a mistake beneficial for you but not opposite

Makes me think of a case ages ago in the UK where a teenage girl had a huge amount put in her bank by accident, and she saw it thoughr "derp - free money" and ran out and spent almost all of it on total crap for the most part.

bank found out, demanded money back, which she had spent since on crap that couldn't even be sold for the most part. Ended in bankruptcy or a life-long debt I think...

Anyhoo, yeah I would just go in and sort it out with them personally!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It was probably just a weird error in the system, it happens from time to time. I had a similar thing happen to me (for about $50) and I promptly contacted the bank to return the money to them. I found out years later when I had to speak with my bank about an error that was made that was NOT in my favor that they had put a note on my account saying that I was a person of moral character, and the bank manager went pretty far out of his way to personally make sure that the more recent error was resolved properly.

That note ended up being worth far more to me than the $50 that I probably wouldn't have been able to keep in the long run anyhow.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Regardless of whether a banking error goes for or against you, I'd recommend calling your bank and having it ironed out. Being on good terms with your bank is always a good idea. You'll never know when you'll need a loan, for example, and you'll want the best interest rates possible.*

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerieadk View Post
    Well the way I look at it is $110 isn't worth any future problems, I googled it just to see what came up and I read a few different post or articles about people getting hundreds of thousands of dollars in their account by accident, then spending it and getting jail time. I'm sure I wouldn't get jail time over $110 dollars. I like your sig btw Hanto!
    You wouldn't get jail time for $110, but they would likely make you pay it back. (if you are in america that is)
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Yea whatever you got wasn't worth it, eventually the difference will be caught, better to go in and figure out what happened.
    Even if they do catch it, who cares? It's their employers mistake and not yours. Since you got back cash and the correct amount was deposited, it's not your problem to count it and you can always claim you just pocketed it. I would just keep it. Worst case scenario, they find absolute proof that they gave you too much and substract it from your account. They probably can't though so you'd just get some extra bit of cash

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Even if they do catch it, who cares? It's their employers mistake and not yours. Since you got back cash and the correct amount was deposited, it's not your problem to count it and you can always claim you just pocketed it. I would just keep it. Worst case scenario, they find absolute proof that they gave you too much and substract it from your account. They probably can't though so you'd just get some extra bit of cash
    They can and they will. The best thing he could do was to report the error and give the cash back.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Not only will they come for the money, they can arrest you for keeping the money.

http://www. bankrate.com/brm/news/sav/Nov06_bank_errora1.asp

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerieadk View Post
    So yesterday I made you usual bi-weekly deposit and a very interesting bank error happened.

The check I was depositing was for $1002.00, I was getting back $311.00 in cash, leaving a net deposit of $691.00.

I did not count my cash upon leaving as I have never had an error and it seemed to slip my mind this trip (Go figure).

When I woke up this morning I went to distribute the cash to various places and when I counted the cash I was given $581.00. I figured OK they gave me too much cash and only $421.00 was deposited. Nope they deposited $535.00 according to the slip. I scratched my head and figured OK they gave me the wrong person envelope. Nope, I checked the account number and it was for my account.

So this is where I figured alright funky bank error, I'll call them on Monday when they open. However for the hell of it I checked my online banking to see if the $535.00 was actually deposited, and then it took a bigger twist! They deposited the $691.00 that was supposed to be deposited!

Now I sit here thinking to myself. How the hell does a twisted error like that occur, I was see if it was just a numeral mistake but DAMN! They only think that even remotely looks like my deposit is the $691.00. Lol

Any thoughts?

-Aerie
    first of all that teller just got fired lol

second the teller probably miscounted the cash, which incidentally is why they are supposed to count it out loud to you at the bank so that they know its right.

and lastly why do you withdraw $311.00 in cash that seems like a very specific and odd amount... just curious

Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Uuh, bad idea to keep the money. Even small amounts can and will be tracked back if something went wrong. It is a bank, money is their business and usually, they are quite good at it (remember, I said usually). They aren't going to slip over it, not even for one cent. They will also ALWAYS notice a fault in their system, at the latest when they do their balance sheet and it's not balanced.