Risk of going back to college football

Alright let me start off by saying i been out of college for 3 years going back ths fall. I graduated in 2007 went to a Juco which is a small 2 year school where i started both ways for football. I tore my left ACL at the end of the year after 4 weeks of battling Broncitus and Strepthroat. Came backt he next year had a full ride offer to K-state New Mexico and new mexico state for Tight end even after the acl injury. Then tore my right ACL after a guy took my leg out in a game of 21 (basketball game). Since then i have gone through rehab and been working out and finally have a chance to go back.

I am still young and have 3 years left of playing football, alot of people are worried for me since my knee and alot of people think i can do it since im extremely dedicated.

Im 6'4 235 run a 4.6 40, 4.2 20 yard shuffle and bench 225 18 times.

just wandering everyones thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Zavius View Post
    I am still young and have 3 years left of playing football, alot of people are worried for me since my knee and alot of people think i can do it since im extremely dedicated.
    A lot of people this, a lot of people that. What do YOU think you can do? What do you want out of a 4-year college besides football?

KSU is the best program you listed there as well as being in a better conference.

do you love playing? Would you regret not doing it later? I would have loved personally to be able to say i started in 1 game of division 1 college football. Robbie Hummel of Purdue basketball suffered if im not mistaken the exact same injuries and still kept coming back and used every second of eligibility he had to play, and i get the feeling he'll never see even remotely noteworthy pro level experience.

Football at that level however is like all consuming. The way they treat that culture is literally you go to class(and youll even miss some of those too), you go to practice, you eat, you go to bed. They use up so much of your time that you don't get to study much at all.

Some things to maybe ask.

Do professors excuse absences for sports?
    what will your course load look like in the fall?
    is it worth maybe looking at say lower division or lower tier school in favor of starting time, or improving education?
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but, you really should concentrate on getting your education before you think about playing football again. I mean, from the way your writing is and the punctuation and incorrect capital letters, please finish your education first. That's more important than sports are any day. Good luck to you.

A close friend of mine got a full ride to a Division 3 school for football and tore his ACL the first day of practice. He went through rehab only to tear the other ACL in the second game of the next season. He went through rehab again, and even though his doctors and therapists warned him not to, he decided to continue to play. He played his last two years (this year was his last year) without tearing anything, but he ended up having to have another surgery on the first knee to repair stuff. The doctor said it's likely that he'll have to have surgery every couple of years because he decided to go back.

Ultimately, it is up to you, you may never have another injury, or you pay tear something during your first set of sprints...

Finishing my education is of course the main reason to go back to school, football is the means of helping pay for the schooling. I love the game of football and everything that comes with it. I'm not worried about it consuming my time since it will keep me focused on my schooling and of course football. My studies would be in sport science/education and some business classes.

If I let this pass me now i'll for sure regret it, that being said i'm going to do it even with the risk of re-injury. I'll just have to workout and keep my body healthy and protected the best that I can so that injury doesn't occur.

@maleren: my writing skills suck and I have known this for years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    A close friend of mine got a full ride to a Division 3 school for football
    D3 doesn't give athletic scholarships, he got an academic if anything.

OT: After and ACL reconstruction and a scope I was able to play 2 years of 1-AA ball. D1 is a whole other animal but you only have a limited number of years you can play, then again it is just a game and like you said you only have 3 years left. Chances are you will have knee problems down the road unless you choose a sedimentary lifestyle. God knows I'm in need of another surgery by this time.
    Last edited by Clevername; 2012-03-31 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    D3 doesn't give athletic scholarships, he got an academic if anything
    Eh, maybe they aren't D3 then. I know it was a football scholarship, but it may not have been a full ride.