Please Help with MoBo issue. (Ethernet Port turning off)

My motherboard, it seems, forces my Ethernet port to shut down, disconnecting my internet for a breif amount of time (Probably around 10-30 seconds)
    When it shuts down, the blinking lights in my Ethernet port do disappear, which I believe seems to be the issue with the motherboard. I've reset my router, modem, shut down my computer. I've also unplugged the power cord for the night and plugged it back in this morning, still an issue. The Ethernet cord is fine, tried using it on another computer going to the router, and it works fine. This randomly started happening last night, and it is really pissing me off because I don't want to replace my motherboard.

please help me.

Thanks
    Last edited by AlexTheGreat; 2012-03-25 at 09:24 PM.

The first thing I can think of is to go to control panel, device manager, choose your NIC, right click it, go to Power Management, and ensure that "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is NOT checked.

Have you tried a driver update? Head to your motherboard manufacturer's site and download and install the most up to date driver they have available. Make sure you uninstall the old driver first before installing the new, either through the add/remove programs screen if it's available, or through device manager if it is not.

If the hardware itself is damaged, there's nothing you can do short of buying a PCI expansion LAN card and installing it into a PCI slot or replacing the motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833156139

Something like that should do you fine. Look for a 10/100 card if you don't have a gigabit router, though, unless you want your computer to be "future ready."

Do you have a non Windows software firewall installed? Does Windows report the adapter is disconnected or disabled, while your connection is down, or does Windows think everything's okay?

When it goes down, try pinging the localhost loopback, 127.0.0.1, if you get a response the problem is probably hardware related and not software.

To ping the loopback, start > run > cmd (or just start > cmd on Vista/7) and type ping 127.0.0.1

Edit: This is all, of course, assuming you use Windows. If you're on a Mac I can't help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirgon View Post
    The first thing I can think of is to go to control panel, device manager, choose your NIC, right click it, go to Power Management, and ensure that "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is NOT checked.

Have you tried a driver update? Head to your motherboard manufacturer's site and download and install the most up to date driver they have available. Make sure you uninstall the old driver first before installing the new, either through the add/remove programs screen if it's available, or through device manager if it is not.

If the hardware itself is damaged, there's nothing you can do short of buying a PCI expansion LAN card and installing it into a PCI slot or replacing the motherboard.

Something like that should do you fine. Look for a 10/100 card if you don't have a gigabit router, though, unless you want your computer to be "future ready."

Do you have a non Windows software firewall installed? Does Windows report the adapter is disconnected or disabled, while your connection is down, or does Windows think everything's okay?

When it goes down, try pinging the localhost loopback, 127.0.0.1, if you get a response the problem is probably hardware related and not software.

To ping the loopback, start > run > cmd (or just start > cmd on Vista/7) and type ping 127.0.0.1

Edit: This is all, of course, assuming you use Windows. If you're on a Mac I can't help you.
    The power management change seemed to work, but now my internet has completely slowed down. Can't even stream videos. Very confusing. Also, how are PCI expansion LAN cards? Are they better than the onboard LAN's?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirgon View Post

My internet keeps dc'ing now again and I still see the thernet port light going off. Bumping for help.