The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

Instincts causing acts

Hello,
    First I can start with explaining what I'm lookin' for. I'm having this project, many can call it something living in us. My term would be calling that something our insincts. Someone that makes our bad choices, something that we shove all the bad things we do at. I'm kind of interresed in your thoughts at this subject. This could actually lead to many stuff, our choices, why we do them. Is it because of lack of knowledge? How is your guys perspective? I'd really love some info on this!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure what you mean by "something living in us." I've rejected the notion of an immaterial consciousness, mainly because there hasn't been enough proof, or at least I haven't seen it, and it makes more sense, to me at least, that everything is caused by the neurons firing off in our brains. So there is no separate entity inside your head making all of your bad actions, or collecting all of your bad thoughts. It's all the same entity acting on what it's been taught.

10+ Year Old Account
    Our brains are just advanced computers with AI humans have yet to reproduce, which is fascinating really, but it does all boil down to chemistry and physics.
    Putin khuliyo

I think he means some power we lost due to evolutiong and shit, like we don't need our...pancreas? Cause we don't eat leaves and shit any more to survive.
    You must become a Master Baiter if you want to want to master the One-eyed Fish of the Dark Caverns!

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    So there is no separate entity inside your head making all of your bad actions, or collecting all of your bad thoughts. It's all the same entity acting on what it's been taught.
    I can't really decipher wtf the OP is asking but...

/suddenly throws something at your face.

You'd react without thinking if that happened in real life, whether it's just to flinch, or to block the object from hitting you.

I think that's what he means?

So basicly you took David Hume bastardised it and turned it into a mess. Congratulations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey Kezotar! I might have a vague idea of what you are talking about, I'm going to throw in my two cents and see what everyone thinks about it.

I think what you are looking at is a sort of a Person vs Environment thing going on. As noted above it is true that the human brain is an advanced computer of sorts, so any type of input that is perceived through means such as Vision, Audio, or touch molds us into the people we become. For instance a child touches a stove, through experience the child knows not to touch the stove again for the rest of his life. Another example could be that a man's learned a habit from one of his friends, leading into other things.

It all boils down to knowledge. All this leading up to what is learned. Wisdom I suppose would be a correct term!

I think he's talking about what goes on in the spinal cord, where the nerves send the impulse and directions are immediately sent out like if you touch something hot. Because if your body had to waste the time for you to decide what to do, you might have hurt your hand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I can't really decipher wtf the OP is asking but...

/suddenly throws something at your face.

You'd react without thinking if that happened in real life, whether it's just to flinch, or to block the object from hitting you.

I think that's what he means?
    Probably. But that's still originating from the brain, and not a separate entity. Instinct is the mechanism employed by the brain, not the actual originator of the action itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Probably. But that's still originating from the brain, and not a separate entity. Instinct is the mechanism employed by the brain, not the actual originator of the action itself.
    Sorry, I wasn't arguing with you at all. I sometimes use examples instead of trying to explain in words, and yours seemed like a good part to quote for adding my example.

If the OP is talking about something else, he should clarify.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't arguing with you at all. I sometimes use examples instead of trying to explain in words, and yours seemed like a good part to quote for adding my example.

If the OP is talking about something else, he should clarify.
    I know. I didn't mean to sound like I was directing my argument at you.