10+ Year Old Account

Starting new PVP Toon - Stuck between a couple classes

So I'm going to start a dedicated PVP toon (mostly BGs), and I'm stuck on a couple classes.

I'm between
    Mage
    Warrior
    Shaman
    Rogue

Any recommendations? I was leaning towards Shaman (Enh/Resto).

Deleted
    Rogue, Mage and Shaman. The best classes for pvp right now.

Go rogue if you like to do 1v1 and completely own any class you encounter.
    Go shaman if you want to be best healer in pvp atm.
    Go mage if you want to be one of the best casters in pvp atm and own pretty much all melees in game.

Avoid warrior. It has a far higher skillcap than above to be viable at the same ratings as above classes.

Simple answer: Rogue for 1v1, mage for allround and shaman for healing.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mage and rogue are both historically VERY good classes. Honestly, I wouldn't suggest warrior as most of the time you will just get extremely frustrated with being stuck in novas, etc. And yes, shaman are usually pretty good healers. Really up to if you want to heal, or dps. I would suggest mage if you want to dps.

I'd stay away from the mage. I have a 4.7k resil mage collecting dust at the moment, it's OP as buggery but so god-damned boring to play. IMO it's like a yawnfest of owning people at long range.

Currently leveling a rogue and having some great fun blowing the shit out of everything with sub's burst. Give rogue a go I reckon.

Rogue is great even if you just mess around in BG's.

Mages are great in BG's and PvP in general. Rest just aren't that good without high end gear.

Quote Originally Posted by dryankem View Post
    So I'm going to start a dedicated PVP toon (mostly BGs), and I'm stuck on a couple classes.

I'm between
    Mage
    Warrior
    Shaman
    Rogue

Any recommendations? I was leaning towards Shaman (Enh/Resto).
    Just going to recap for most of said in the post. MAge, Shamans and Rogues are right now pretty amazing in PVP through out the game and at level 85. However, rogues are just OP lower levels till around 74 before people start getting cata gear.

Mages require a lot of patience lower levels atleast till you get ice barrier. Once you get ice barrier you are easily wreck ball. At level 71 with full PVP gear a couple of months back got wrecking ball (20 Killing BLows without dying) with no healers. People say that it is really hard to get it after level 19 because of the health pools and other factors. But I got it. Nothing too great but only shows the tools that a mage has with its amazing burst damage. Lower levels go arcane till around level 28-30 when your Pet's Nova gives you 2 instant Ice Lance. Arcane Barrage can one shot most mobs lower level but you will die a lot and I mean a lot.

Shamans are just pure OP. Especially Enchancement and Resto especially. Enhancement fights like a rogue with a ton of burst damage but can also heal for a lot with little to no impact on their mana.

Wouldn't bother with warriors unless you are fully twinked and I mean fully. You will get owned by every single class if you don't have a pocket healer especially if you come across twinked players.

I am levelling my 2nd low level rogue. Rogues are a ton of fun lower level cause there is just so much you can do besides one shotting people. This weekend I got so many achievements on my rogue in AB (all the cap and defend 3+ bases ones).

But yea any of those 3 make good classes. I wouldn't recommend shammy at the higher levels unless you want to go full on resto. Resto is just pure OP to take any other spec. But yeah rogues and mages are both DPS classes and only really matters if you want to melee or range DPS.

They each have their pros and cons. Rogues do badly in long fights most times. So you have to hope for a big opener as it has a high ramp up time. Mages can pull sustain DPS if no one is focusing it. There good luck but I would probably go Rogue or Mage. Have bother the classes Mage at 85 and 2 rogues that I am levelling right now.

Deleted
    I'd stay away from the mage. I have a 4.7k resil mage collecting dust at the moment, it's OP as buggery but so god-damned boring to play. IMO it's like a yawnfest of owning people at long range.
    that depends, by the sounds of it you was playing frost and yeh...can get boring at the moment but the higher rated you get the more difficult it becomes as people will shut your burst down and you will find yourself running and trying for a time to set up the single moment you can burst.

Fire though is a different story its definatly harder to play at the moment and apart from the RNG aspect of it is so much fun.

each to there own, opinions.

Rogues do badly in long fights most times
    correct me if im wrong but the Burst spec is backstab and the more Sustained damage spec is Hemo however burst potential is limited to dance, RLS is typically run with a hemo rogue (not exclusivley im not saying that!) but the RLS strat is to generally put out high-sustained DPS and then land a kill.

RMP for example is mostly about how good and fast you can/do get that great opener, great RMP's however will put up a spectacular fight against anything coming there way.

any back on Topic:

Rogues / Mages - very safe bet they always have been competitive in PvP.

Shaman / Warrior - 50/50 if you ask me Warrior's are a little like hunters there always up and down though hunters this expansio and what looks like MoP are looking very good, shamans aswell have been up and down though again a good resto (arguably not hard atm but you can tell the difference between a bad/good/great resto shammy)

so for me i think it boils down to DPS / Ranged or heal, if you want a chance to heal and DPS th then go shammy as you can change specs if you want ranged dps go mage or melee dps go rogue, only you can really decide, personally the mage and rogue have a high skillcap to manage everything and get the most out of your chosen class is difficult especially when being trained.

Hunters > all imo for potential and skillcap, mage/hunter are on par with fun for me.

Shamans are just pure OP. Especially Enchancement and Resto especially. Enhancement fights like a rogue with a ton of burst damage but can also heal for a lot with little to no impact on their mana.
    This isn't true. For a start Enhance have no real burst past a little bit of RNG on windfury. Their sustained DPS is good however, so you trade being able to stick down some burst for constant pressure, which makes them very good at killing healers.

You won't have infinite mana. To kill several classes competently (warriors, DK's, Rogues to a lessrer degree) you have to kite, which will invariably mean at some point you pop Spiritwalkers grace and have to hard cast a few heals. This, as well as a hefty cost on purge, will eat through your mana so eventually you will be waiting before being able to purge or hard cast a heal.

Self heals are okish. In full PvP gear expect to cast 20k GHW's, at the expense of doing DPS with your maelstrom procs.

You have a fair amount of tools when you learn to use them, and can stick quite well to mages, and will indefinitely stick on all the others. You have wolves sprint (with a mini freedom), wolf stun, sham rage to dispel all magic effects, earthbind which removes all slows on its first pulse, a root attached to your frostshock for targets further away, and your trinket. I know some shaman like using frostbrand for the extra slow You will find it hard to go toe to toe with other melee classes unless you outgear them.

All in all Enhance shaman have high skill caps but can be very rewarding when learned.

On topic though, I would probably avoid Warrior due to extreme frustration in snares and roots, I woudl avoid Mage due to people getting bored with how OP they are, and would probably go rogue if you want to melee, or shaman if you want melee and a real challenge, or to heal with.
    RETH