Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Yes, that definitely needed some disclaimer. I've been taught some basics of psychology (nothing college or indepth), and the general rule I remember is that it's not a disorder unless it's negatively impacting your life. You could have so-called 'symptoms' of codependency or depression or many other disorders, but unless there's an actual problem, it's not any of those. That's why I really didn't want this thread to be about diagnosis or my relationship problems or whatever (though I kinda made it that way inadvertently) but a simple recommendation of what to do :/
    If there are things going on that you want to change or better understand and feel like you can't do it alone then seeing someone may be a good idea.

While yes, there are cases where disorders are misdiagnosed, or overdiagnosed, one shouldn't be so quick as to say its a misnomer. There are classifications that go into making something a quote unquote disorder, and there are guidelines for diagnosing, much like there is other medical disorders. For example, depression is much stricter to diagnose than the flu, for example.
    Last edited by paden1991; 2012-03-26 at 04:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paden1991 View Post
    @OP Aye, I get that, and I apologize if we had turned it into that, but by all means, as simply as I can state it, you should get help, even if it is talking to a counselor, or an actual therapist, cost permitting. That's truly the bottom line to it. No one can make you do anything against your will, but it is always my opinion that it is better safe than sorry. Would hate for a fellow man to have issues, even if it is something mild. If it turns out to be nothing, then so be it, but I must say something-- I wouldn't take the word of people here over a therapist. It is great that we are able to provide help, but it is very much a matter between you and a therapist, if you choose to see one.

Even if it does turn out to be nothing, which I am personally hoping it is, at least you have that cleared up, and worse case scenario, if they do manage to find something, it is better the evil that you know than the evil that you don't.
    Very true, and again, I really have to thank all of the constructive people and especially the college-educated folks who were both quite detailed in their responses, for all of the help. I will definitely be seeing a psychologist once I work out some logistics.

Quote Originally Posted by pallydan View Post
    Sounds like you need some new friends, or at least people who 'get' you.

Personally, I think that psychological disorders don't belong in neatly packaged labels - and the term 'disorder' is a misnomer in itself. I believe everything happens for a reason, and people just don't fall into these so-called disorders because they were doomed from the beginning.

Perhaps somewhere down the line, you may have been 'wronged' or perceived to have been wronged.

I came upon this conclusion because the symptoms you're describing indicate someone that is desperately trying to reconnect with society. Humans are inherently social beings, and at some point you may have experienced a breach of trust with your social circle (aka friends).

Don't feel bad, because sadly a lot of relationships fail through simple miscommunication. From my experience, there are people that just 'click' and some that don't. Such is the way of the world, and if you're putting in more effort into these relationships than the other parties, you'll always feel disappointed - which will make you seem more desperate. Just know that if someone else is not putting in the minimal effort to get to know you, they are not your friend at all. Move on, wish them the best of luck, and keep trying.
    I have a feeling that if I explained why it fell through, things would make much more sense, but frankly, that's much too personal and, again, not really the point.

Deleted
    Had something similar hauting me for a major part of my youth and well up to adulthood. Trouble sleeping, trouble finding motivation to work, introverted more than normal etc. Anyways, it turned out i was just bored and needed a change of scenery!
    Quit my job, took a break from gaming, went out running/walking and spending some time in nature.

Life in society is exhausting and damn boring at times. Sometimes you just need some youtime to sort things out.

Best of luck with it. I hope that you easily find someone you click with.

Deleted
    I haven't read through the whole thread but I just wanted to say before you take ANY advice from people or people claiming to know what your problem is, believe me go see a doctor. Please do! No one in here can tell you what it is and before it get's worse just get real help and get it out of the way before it becomes an even bigger problem.

I wish you all the best!

Quote Originally Posted by tlo View Post
    Depression doesn't mean you're constantly unhappy. Irritability, lack of motivation, inability to concentrate, increased anxiety are all typical depression symptoms. These are the only symptoms you listed. It's possible you're not depressed, but given the symptoms you're sharing depression is the most likely scenario.

---------- Post added 2012-03-25 at 11:35 PM ----------

How exactly did you quantify "not as common as people think"? Do you have a source for any of this, or are you just spouting unfounded drivel?

I'd say 5% percent of the American population being effected by clinical depression each year is a fairly substantial number (http://uhs.berkeley.edu/lookforthesi...nsuicide.shtml).
    "In any given year, 12% of women (nearly 12 million women) in the United States are diagnosed with depression compared to 7% of men (over 6 million men)."

Just because people are diagnosed with depression doesn't mean they actually have the disorder. There is a difference between being depressed and the illness depression. Often, people get "sad" and jump to a psychiatrist claiming to have depression. And often, the disorder is misdiagnosed.

I'm not saying it's not common, because it is fairly common. I'm just saying, it seems to be over-diagnosed.

Also: Sorry OP, didn't mean to derail the topic.

Talk to someone. Go in with an open mind that it may be beneficial to you - don't assume they are just quacks after your money. Sometimes just by telling them what's going on things begin to click. Or if you already know the issues they can sometimes have some advice that you may not of thought about. I recently went through a ton of shit and the affects are nearly identical to yours.

I'm not a spiritual person but look into the book "Meditation: Now or Never", if you have an open mind it can help. I realized that my apathetic and irritable/angry state was completely self induced.

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    you could always try the old stand-by - get drunk so you cant remember your name, vomit everywhere, cry like a bitch, feel dumb about it for a few days, and then feel better. but then i probably shouldnt give advise
    great advice from a gentleman with a wonderful username
    come out with your hands on your heads, you are surrounded by armed bastards

OP, what you're describing is depression. I know you said in one of your posts that you've been through that and this doesn't match up with it. That doesn't mean this isn't depression, too. Depression can manifest itself in many different ways. I have bipolar disorder (a.k.a. manic depression) and I've experienced depression in TONS of different ways, but they're still all depression.

Go speak to your primary care provider first. Get their advice. If they feel you need a psychologist, they'll refer you to one. At the least, they'll be able to prescribe something for you at that visit to help you out.

It sounds like the break-up of your relationship was the big trigger. Give yourself some time to grieve and you'll find it'll get better after a couple of months.
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Gloves View Post
    great advice from a gentleman with a wonderful username
    the fact that your name is gloves... bothers me somehow, lol

Caiada - I was in a similar state for a long long time. I have sought, and continue to see, a counselor. And while you may not believe the break up was a main cause for your mental state, you would be doing yourself a disservice to think it did not have some effect. Trust me... I know what you are going through (PM me anytime if you need anything).

Go see someone to assess the situation. I have been extremely surprised and delighted at the progress I have made. I have been seeing my counselor for only 6 months, and feel like the old person I used to be. I'm back! I'm fun! And more importantly, I feel like my normal self (as normal is completely relative).

Just go for one visit, see how it goes, and decide from there. It cannot hurt but a few dollars from your pocket!! You have nothing to lose and everything to gain!! *Insert more cliche phrases here*

10+ Year Old Account
    Note: I am not necessarily meaning to have a formal visit, but I will do so if I believe the benefit to outweigh the significant monetary cost. Feel free to suggest any course of action, honestly.

Lately, I am having trouble... directing myself so to speak. After having just come out of a relationship and a very rough breakup (not the problem, don't comment, it's unrelated), I've just sort of... collapsed mentally. I'm constantly irritable, I'm unable to carry on conversations, I have no motivations, and... many, many other things I am not comfortable discussing here. I do not know what problem there may be, but it isn't depression. And I know it is a problem now. My interpersonal relationships are essentially non-existent and my anxiety, not from being around people but being desperate to please people and to do the 'correct' thing, is crippling. I have no self-control and have a problem with responsibility. If I could solve whatever I feel is wrong with me (or this feeling that something is wrong) I would. That's why I'm considering a psychologist.

I know MMO-C is not the best place for this sort of advice and trolls are an unfortunate inevitability, but there are intelligent people here. Semi-anonymous advice from them would be nice. So, MMO-C have at it. What are your suggestions? "Get over it" will be ignored.
    Sounds like you should seek some help there bud. Being a bi-polar american, I know the system well. I suggest going to see a therapist and just spilling your guts to them. They can't tell anyone you where there, its all confidential, unless you are a danger to your self or others. Sometimes talking to someone one about everything that's bothering you is the best thing to do, the more you bottle up your anxiety and frustrations, the worse and worse they way your feeling will get. Eventually the bottle will shatter and you will be in a crisis situation, I'd suggest avoiding that.
    doh my god....

"don't look back, it's a trap, it a fact, it's a booby trap booby trap" - The Dickies

Deleted
    Get some friends, or new and more exciting ones if you already have some.
    Or just find someone in the same position so that you have the secure feeling to step out again =)

bottom line here caiada, look into seeing somebody. i'd recommend researching as much as you are able as far as the doc you see - whoever it is is going to poking around in your noodle, kinda important to have some faith in that person, and in spite of medical training and all it's still as much art as science, it being interpersonal communication and all. above all, stay positive, that will help as much as anything

Could be the ones your trying to hold conversations with just aren't the ones for you? Time heals all... Find a way to spark life into yourself... Ever been sky diving? It's a great rush and gives more confidence. Not saying seeking an adrenaline rush is the best way but it works for some.

I don't drink, coming from a family of alcoholics.

I'm not a teacher/preacher/or doctor so take what I have to say with a grain of sugar coated rim.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is the problem right here.

Just because you have it in you to be an Alcoholic doesn't mean you are one. My family all drinks, my uncle gets out of control when he does, my father goes on uncalled for spending spree's and my mom starts to dance for money.

We all still work and earn a living tho, perhaps its because you don't drink you've lost yourself, you said it, your whole family does. Its the fact you are not drinking that is taking you away from who you really are, i mean, who you are on the inside, where it counts.

My gut tells me you're in there somewhere, but you've locked yourself away because you know at the route of your issues is a small girl trying to break away from her alcholic family. Understand that to overcome your fear, to beat this thing that now has you locked inside your self, you must face it, head on. Tonight find a quiet yet charming pub on the east end of your city, start slow and then open up to all the magics of drinking. Stay hydrated, and learn, learn about everything you've been hiding from. Face that fear and I feel we can find the real you, the one I know is in there, deep down, the one your ex was probably trying to get to come out.

All I've given you is the keys to the lock, it is in your hands to unlock the door.

Craig

---------- Post added 2012-03-26 at 11:56 AM ----------

If your sadness is rashad, you can't run from him, take him on like Thiago Silva!

Last edited by Stormbreed; 2012-03-26 at 03:04 PM.