Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Tobacco/Alcohol/Marijuana/other related commercials

It seems to me theres been a recent surge, for some reason, of commercials that are trying to scare people from smoking/drinking and the like. It seems kinda odd to me. I cant quite place how I feel about it but it seems almost as if there is a campaign out there to stop it and set the morals of being "above the influence" or "straight-edge" and that to me feels wrong. Just thought I'd get others thoughts on it.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can see the want to be above drugs that are extremely harmful, but to me, there is too much stigma against marijuana. Yes, things like driving under the influence are very bad, but if people are responsible about it, to me I think it is their decision.

I think it's fine as long as they tell the truth about the risks of abuse. No "Reefer Madness"-style scare tactics. Just say that hey, alcohol abuse is responsible for over 100,000 deaths every year, cigarette smoking is directly related to lung cancer, emphysema, and Buerger's disease, heroin is bad, crack is whack, etc. In fact I think there should be similar restrictions imposed on the alcohol industry (insofar as advertisements are concerned) as there are on tobacco companies.

Although I'm also in favor of legalization of all drugs so I'm probably in the minority opinion. And I'm straight-edge.

10+ Year Old Account
    You both have reasonable and understandable positions on this. And I agree.

The problem is, we're all something of an oddity in this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    You both have reasonable and understandable positions on this. And I agree.

The problem is, we're all something of an oddity in this.
    This pretty much. Scare tactics wont work or help and yet thats what they are doing whey they show amputees because of smoking? I mean fuck. I dont agree with the government or anyone setting up public messages like this. Not doing hard drugs is one thing but this? I dunno. I'm not trying to promote drinking or smoking one way or the other but who is to say what you should do?

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    you know who pays for those commercials right the tobacco companies and I think thats why they are ridiculous. I see no reason to make such commercials as there isn't a person alive over the age of 10 who doesn't know smoking is bad for you. Alcohol and drugs as well we all know they are bad those who use them are aware of possible outcomes and it's stupid to force companies to do them if they really wanted to hurt tobacco companies they would make them donate a percentage to health care for smokers when they get old.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those commercials are always so over-the-top. Yeah, the stuff is bad, but they go stupid on those things. The best one is where the potheads are pulling out of the drive-through at a fast-food place and they hit the little kid riding the bike. Because, you know, kids are supposed to be at a fast-food joint riding a bike.

I wonder what the marijuana commercial is like? I mean I can see how they could scare people with drinking and smoking tobacco, but Marijuana doesn't kill or hurt anyone.

It is ok to try to make people aware of what drugs can do to them, but i'm tired of the lies and over exaggeration of it. The best way to stop people from doing something is simply setting the best example you can. The rest is up to the person to decide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I know there's a few that have been airing for a while now. The new "don't cut your stoma" and such though get annoying. I don't smoke, I don't plan to smoke, I don't want to see the results of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    I wonder what the marijuana commercial is like? I mean I can see how they could scare people with drinking and smoking tobacco, but Marijuana doesn't kill or hurt anyone.

It is ok to try to make people aware of what drugs can do to them, but i'm tired of the lies and over exaggeration of it. The best way to stop people from doing something is simply setting the best example you can. The rest is up to the person to decide.
    They could show you going broke from all the junk food you eat due to the munchies!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    you know who pays for those commercials right the tobacco companies and I think thats why they are ridiculous. I see no reason to make such commercials as there isn't a person alive over the age of 10 who doesn't know smoking is bad for you. Alcohol and drugs as well we all know they are bad those who use them are aware of possible outcomes and it's stupid to force companies to do them if they really wanted to hurt tobacco companies they would make them donate a percentage to health care for smokers when they get old.
    Just backing up this statement, tobacco companies pay for those commercials. Was part of a major lawsuit settlement back in 1998, I believe.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

I think the commercials are a little passed the point. we already know the effects of tobacco (hint, they're bad) and we already know what alcohol can do to you ( a lot of fucked up shit) so the commercials are just beating a dead horse at an obnoxious level and really is just the reciprocal of advertisement.

weed however is a bit of a different story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

scare tactics huh?

sunglasses....

The truth is scary...

yeaaaaaaaaaaaa

The problem I have is people ruin their health with smoking and drinking and still expect their medical bills from doing these activities to be covered. My stance is if people want to smoke and drink then fine, take responsibility for your actions and save up. Medicare and Medicaid will eventually consume all of our tax revenue and things like this are part of the problem. If the government is serious about avoiding total economic collapse they need to let go of people who purposefully make themselves sick.

a source
    http://www.coburn.senate.gov/public/...5-e7f17b1d8a47
    Last edited by Saisen; 2012-03-26 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Make my stance more clear
    Games don't make people violent. Lag does. Release delay does. Dumb people do.
    Nostalgia is the enemy of rational thought.

I haven't seen the Marijuana commercials yet, but I guess they all kinda like this: "Marijuana, it doesn't kill you nor does it have any disastrous side effects. But we will throw some in for good measure that are completely false and lack any actual scientific evidence."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    the cdc is paying for those commercials not tobacco companies

the add campaign they just started is suppose to be "shocking" and really show the affects of smoking

as for the percentage for healthcare, federal cigarette tax is $1.01 per pack and that goes towards healthcare.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    the cdc is paying for those commercials not tobacco companies

the add campaign they just started is suppose to be "shocking" and really show the affects of smoking

as for the percentage for healthcare, federal cigarette tax is $1.01 per pack and that goes towards healthcare.
    the funds for the commercials are a result of a settlement, and come from the tobacco companies.
    "Laws should be made of iron, not of pudding."

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward.”

- King Stannis Baratheon

Imo, if marijuana is illegal, then alcohol should be.

The DARE program in schools scares kids and I remember first hand accounts of them telling us "marijuana has killed people". Look it up people, there is not a single recorded case of marijuana caused death, it is IMPOSSIBLE to overdose on it.

By having drugs illegal, all drugs, you are protecting the cartels, allowing them to charge high prices, illegal gun crime becomes involved, drug mule children etc.

Where they lose in selling cigarettes, they more than make up for it in higher tax premiums, legal fees, insurance fees and medical fees because of the ad's.

I still own my D.A.R.E t-shirt from 4th grade. That was in the 1980's (no, the t-shirt doesn't fit anymore). This is nothing new.