Question random tan question.

Hello, this may sound a bit odd, but do i get tanned through glass/plastic as soon as they are a bit transparent?
    I'm usually in a racehelmet when i'm outside because i'm driving moped offroad/driving gokarts on racetracks all the time, i don't like just lying around waiting for a tan. I want it while i do other fun things.

So do i get tanned through the visir of a helmet?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    Hello, this may sound a bit odd, but do i get tanned through glass/plastic as soon as they are a bit transparent?
    I'm usually in a racehelmet when i'm outside because i'm driving moped offroad/driving gokarts on racetracks all the time, i don't like just lying around waiting for a tan. I want it while i do other fun things.

So do i get tanned through the visir of a helmet?
    If it has UV protection, no. Most windows, visors, glasses, windshields, etc have this. Not to mention... you would get like an inverted raccoon eyes thing going on if it did work... that'd be weird...

No you don't, it will reflect the light that causes your skin to tan.

Even tho light comes trough and it seems like that light is hitting you (like trough a window) it's an illusion of sorts. Because light consists of many different things and isn't simply just "light", some parts will go trough things like glass and some parts will be reflected back, and therefor you can not tan yourself trough a window, or a plastic plate in your helmet.

However I don't recommend you drive without one just to get a tan
    Fentooooooooooooooooooooooon!!!!!!!!

Visor of a helmet? No. Most car windows, yes. I get them all the time. The arm holding the wheel gets much more tan than the one shifting gears, because it is higher and gets much more sun while I'm driving.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Visor of a helmet? No. Most car windows, yes. I get them all the time. The arm holding the wheel gets much more tan than the one shifting gears, because it is higher and gets much more sun while I'm driving.
    thats prolly cause you drive with your wondow rolled down a.k.a. "cold elbow" ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    thats prolly cause you drive with your wondow rolled down a.k.a. "cold elbow" ^^
    Not when the Ex was in the car, she had bad allergies so we had to run the air and have the windows up.

thanks for the answers

gues i'll actually have to ''work'' to get my tan by idling and not doing anything fun

Like someone mentioned, if they are treated to protect you from UV rays, no. UVA rays are the tanning ray and can penetrate regular glass though.

I'm boggled though why you WANT to tan. Tanning damages your skin, can lead to premature aging and wrinkles and can lead to skin cancer. If you don't care about the skin cancer (which you should, it can be deadly), why would you want to make yourself look old ahead of time?

Deleted
    I know you could get visors made with the properties that you want at random tuning stores. This may cost some money depending on the helmet and the properties of course.
    (A friend got himself a phototrophe one; meaning it automatically gets darker the brighter the sun gets. Basically like those modern sunglasses. It's really nice but was expensive too.)

I wouldn't recommend this though. Chances are you'd just get sunburnt.