Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Randon rant about anti-smoking companies

No, I am not a smoker. No, I don't care to even try cigarettes, but I have a rant about the ANTI-smoking companies.

A lot of people smoke cigarettes, and despite their best efforts, little to no people are going to be prevented from trying/quit smoking cigarettes after being "influenced" by their commercials and information.

For those of us who don't smoke and never plan to, all their advertisements are just flat out disgusting and make some of us gag. Drinking preserved frog juice, showing "former smokers stomas" (which I'm willing to bet a lot of them aren't even really smokers, they're just paid to have special effects on them), and a mixture of other disgusting pictures and other stuff like showing the innards of a smoker's organs on an operating table. If I had children and they saw their commercials, I would sue them for such graphical imagery being put in my children's heads, and I'm dead serious about that.

Anyways, just a random rant that I decided to put here. Anyone else feel the same?

PS: MMO-Champ, please remove the ad they have here. It's really vomit-inducing and makes me want to click that little MMO-Champ icon I have on my toolbar a lot less.
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2012-03-26 at 02:47 PM.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    A lot of people smoke cigarettes, and despite their best efforts, little to no people are going to be prevented from trying/quit smoking cigarettes after being "influenced" by their commercials and information.
    Do you have empirical evidence to prove that their anti-smoking campaign isn't working?

There are plenty of articles/studies that say it is:
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...more-harm.html
    http://www.championsforhealth.org/do...eally-work.php
    http://adage.com/article/news/fundin...g-rate/232111/
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2...king-campaign/
    http://stuartsmithsblog.com/2012/03/...e-really-work/
    http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ads-effective/

If I had children, I'd encourage them to watch the commercials to scare them into not smoking, because fear works. It's probably best that I don't have children, eh?
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-03-26 at 02:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Before reading i thought u were going to be another one of those smokers defending their rights to snake, however after reading I agree. Specially when they bring such presentations to schools and show disgusting props like "a real smoker's lung" to kids. Back in high school i even had my teacher run out of the mandatory presentation vomiting because she couldn't handle all that crap. But then again i feel the same about vegan propaganda making kids hate meat because of animal abuse, now my sister cant eat chicken...

Sorry you don't like the ads. I think they're kind of gross, too, but considering smoking costs us all $96 billion a year in direct health care costs (and $97 billion more in lost productivity), I'm willing to put up with them. See http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item...=10298&ttype=2 for lots of detail - including the tidbit that the true cost of smoking (factoring in health consequences, etc.) is something like $40/pack. Of course, smoking kills you quickly enough that you're less likely to collect medicare/social security - which in a perverse way helps the bottom line.

Sadly, I'm not sure "you put graphical imagery in my kid's heads" is actually a cause of action. Maybe it should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    If I had children and they saw their commercials, I would sue them for such graphical imagery being put in my children's heads, and I'm dead serious about that.
    If you do not wish your children to see those images then it would be up to you to not let them view channels / web pages where they may be showing them. They don't NEED to watch / view the channels thus you could not sue them over viewing something that is optional!

I fully agree with the commercials and what they are showing. If you have the choice to be able to smoke etc you should at least have the full truth as to what it dos and not the sugar coated "it;'s bad for your health mmmkkkayyy" version! The evidence is out there faced with the truth and showing what it actually does to your body WORKS in keeping people from smoking and helps to get them quit! If you have no visible signs of what it does it's much harder to rationalize how bad it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Faloestin View Post
    Sorry you don't like the ads. I think they're kind of gross, too, but considering smoking costs us all $96 billion a year in direct health care costs (and $97 billion more in lost productivity), I'm willing to put up with them. See http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item...=10298&ttype=2 for lots of detail - including the tidbit that the true cost of smoking (factoring in health consequences, etc.) is something like $40/pack. Of course, smoking kills you quickly enough that you're less likely to collect medicare/social security - which in a perverse way helps the bottom line.

Sadly, I'm not sure "you put graphical imagery in my kid's heads" is actually a cause of action. Maybe it should be.

Okay so people shouldn't even bother with cigarettes in the first place.

My thing though is that I'm fine with them doing their best to put a stop to smoking, but making us want to vomit is NOT the best course of action. They have a million other ways they could make their commercials, but they decided to make people puke instead. If they want to continue with their course of action of making people stop, fine, I really don't care at all, but at least do it in such a way that doesn't make me sick every 30 seconds when I have to see an ad on the internet or a commercial on TV about it.

Have you seen the really gross ones? If you had young kids (like 8 and younger) would you want them to see really disgusting things like that? If I saw that as a kid, it'd give me nightmares for a month.

---------- Post added 2012-03-26 at 11:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bobyboucher View Post
    If you do not wish your children to see those images then it would be up to you to not let them view channels / web pages where they may be showing them. They don't NEED to watch / view the channels thus you could not sue them over viewing something that is optional!

I fully agree with the commercials and what they are showing. If you have the choice to be able to smoke etc you should at least have the full truth as to what it dos and not the sugar coated "it;'s bad for your health mmmkkkayyy" version! The evidence is out there faced with the truth and showing what it actually does to your body WORKS in keeping people from smoking and helps to get them quit! If you have no visible signs of what it does it's much harder to rationalize how bad it is!
    So you're telling me to not let my kids (if I ever had them) ever watch TV or go on the internet until they're old enough to see such things? IIRC they're even on channels that are meant for kids (probably to get them to not try it ahead of time, but it's not like they would either)

My whole problem is with how disgusting it is. If they want to list off facts like how smoking gives you stomas and how smoking does this and that, then fine, but don't SHOW that stuff.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    More than anything, my response is:

It's legal. Fuck off. Don't tell me what to do.

Furthermore, Cigarette taxes bring in over $17B per year in the US. People should be thanking smokers.

And you don't think people know it's dangerous? People will make decisions regardless of facts. I started smoking a little in high school, smoked moderately to heavily (1 pack per day or less) throughout college, and maintained a 3-4 pack per week habit for the next 6 years. I quit a year ago, not for health reasons but just because I was tired of it. I went in for surgery, had a cigarette literally hours before I went into the ER and had surgery, and ended up being a couple weeks being laid up where I couldn't smoke. Once I was back up and moving around I finished off the pack I had, figured out I didn't really miss it, and quit cold turkey.

It had nothing to do with diseased lungs and fear of dying young or cancer. I liked smoking, so I smoked. Then I decided to stop. No one could tell me to quit, and the only way a smoker will ever quit is if he decides he wants to quit. But if you bring by trays of black lungs, I'd be just as likely to blow smoke in your face and flick a butt past your head. Just like if some crazed vegan showed me cows getting slaughtered, I'd probably go get a hamburger just to piss them off.
    Whenever someone told me "You know that stuff is bad for you" I would always respond in mock horror. "Oh SHIT, really!?!? Let me throw away the rest of this pack right now."
    Last edited by Porcell; 2012-03-26 at 03:17 PM.

Deleted
    I have to walk behind and past smokers constantly; and it stinks like hell. I have plenty of right to voice my opinion that smokers should fuck off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post

Furthermore, Cigarette taxes bring in over $17B per year in the US. People should be thanking smokers.

And you don't think people know it's dangerous? People will make decisions regardless of facts. I started smoking a little in high school, smoked moderately to heavily (1 pack per day or less) throughout college, and maintained a 3-4 pack per week habit for the next 6 years. I quit a year ago, not for health reasons but just because I was tired of it. I went in for surgery, had a cigarette literally hours before I went into the ER and had surgery, and ended up being a couple weeks being laid up where I couldn't smoke. Once I was back up and moving around I finished off the pack I had, figured out I didn't really miss it, and quit cold turkey.

It had nothing to do with diseased lungs and fear of dying young or cancer. I liked smoking, so I smoked. Then I decided to stop. No one could tell me to quit, and the only way a smoker will ever quit is if he decides he wants to quit. But if you bring by trays of black lungs, I'd be just as likely to blow smoke in your face and flick a butt past your head.
    Whenever someone told me "You know that stuff is bad for you" I would always respond in mock horror. "Oh SHIT, really!?!? Let me throw away the rest of this pack right now."
    you obviously read nothing *sigh*

It had nothing to do with diseased lungs and fear of dying young or cancer. I liked smoking, so I smoked. Then I decided to stop. No one could tell me to quit, and the only way a smoker will ever quit is if he decides he wants to quit. But if you bring by trays of black lungs, I'd be just as likely to blow smoke in your face and flick a butt past your head.
    had cigarettes been invented today it prolly wouldnt have been legal... Imagine the sales pitch... "Yo listen up, i got some herbs that ive bundled together with some chemicals and tar and wrapped with paper and the whole thing is wildly carcinogenic... Oh and they are also wildly addictive... So... How much do we need to pay the government to let us sell these?

^ Pretty much what I feel too. I don't like smoking, the smell of smoking, nor will I ever try one, but who gives a fuck? They deserve to make their own choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    I have to walk behind and past smokers constantly; and it stinks like hell. I have plenty of right to voice my opinion that smokers should fuck off.
    So cover your mouth like I do. It's not the end of the world.

---------- Post added 2012-03-26 at 11:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    had cigarettes been invented today it prolly wouldnt have been legal... Imagine the sales pitch... "Yo listen up, i got some herbs that ive bundled together with some chemicals and tar and wrapped with paper and the whole thing is wildly carcinogenic... Oh and they are also wildly addictive... So... How much do we need to pay the government to let us sell these?
    Which is kinda funny when you compare it to marijuana. You'd think that marijuana would be legalized while cigarettes would be illegal.

PS: No, I also don't smoke pot. I'm not for or anti. I've just lived my life with people who smoke both so I'm pretty informed on both of them.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    you obviously read nothing *sigh*
    What about my comments lead you to that conclusion?

---------- Post added 2012-03-26 at 03:23 PM ----------

Not sure where anyone said you didn't have that right.

---------- Post added 2012-03-26 at 03:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Then the government should nut up and make the shit illegal then, if they have such a problem with it. Just do it, ban it.

They don't. And why? Answer the question why? Is it a money thing or a freedom thing? I'd lean more toward a money thing. It's always about the money.

^ Pretty much what I feel too. I don't like smoking, the smell of smoking, nor will I ever try one, but who gives a fuck? They deserve to make their own choices.

So cover your mouth like I do. It's not the end of the world.

---------- Post added 2012-03-26 at 11:21 AM ----------

Which is kinda funny when you compare it to marijuana. You'd think that marijuana would be legalized while cigarettes would be illegal.

PS: No, I also don't smoke pot. I'm not for or anti. I've just lived my life with people who smoke both so I'm pretty informed on both of them.
    I had to sit and wait for my bus this morning, at the only stop, I had a old man smoking a bloody huge cigar next to me on the right, to my left another man smoking a pipe, behind me a wall in front of me the main road? I had to sit between them for 12 minutes waiting,

I them stank of stale smoke for the rest of the day, had to change the second I got home and shower, and I can still smell the shit on me, not to mention while these 2 morons were smoking, I was inhale and coughing my guts up, anyone with a shred of common sense would of stopped, for all they knew I could of been asthmatic.

so what do you suggest, I hold my mouth for 12 minutes or step out into the middle of the road?

and its proven fact those companies work otherwise it wouldn't be advertised,

oh and someone else who said the amount of money that smoking brings into the country? how about how much they cost our Health service every year, when their rolled up in a ball dying slowly for years needing constant medical help and treatment? they out weight each other so dont pull finical bull shit
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

This is like complaining about a tampon commercial. I just can't believe how sheltered you are.

http://i.imgur.com/lo4i8.png
    Last edited by Anakso; 2012-03-26 at 03:43 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    True....but guess what....Law is not on your side.

And rotted... seriously? Get over it..... you could of WALKED AWAY...OMG I KNOW...WHAT A CONCEPT.
    Last edited by Punks; 2012-03-26 at 03:34 PM.

Except that deaths caused by smoking alone cost us $92B per year. Last I checked, $92B > $17B, $75B greater to be exact.

Source: http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/medica...okingcosts.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Punks View Post
    True....but guess what....Law is not on your side.
    Apparently it is, since a lot of states/cities have banned smoking in public places and courts are ruling the laws constitutional.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-03-26 at 03:34 PM.

It had nothing to do with diseased lungs and fear of dying young or cancer. I liked smoking, so I smoked. Then I decided to stop. No one could tell me to quit, and the only way a smoker will ever quit is if he decides he wants to quit. But if you bring by trays of black lungs, I'd be just as likely to blow smoke in your face and flick a butt past your head. Just like if some crazed vegan showed me cows getting slaughtered, I'd probably go get a hamburger just to piss them off.
    Compared to the related healthcare costs, its not as good as you think. Also where is my right to live a healthy life? Because it is infringed upon by every smoker that I walk past. If someone wants to damage their own body that's fine, but do not use a means that effects everyone nearby who made the choice NOT to smoke. Just getting to work I have to walk through a door that usually has 2 to 3 smokers right outside it. And that is even with the PA state ban on smoking. Also it absurd the amount of people who go on "smoke breaks" (even the little 2 minute ones). This ends up adding up to a lot of time simply being paid to smoke, yet I'm not allowed a "fresh air break" to get paid to simply stand outside.

Now officially OT: As far as the ads are concerned I'm all for them. The gag response is intended and ultimately does not hurt anyone. Its showing you facts pure and simple and is really no different than learning what actual organs look like in school. I am sorry you have a weak stomach, that happens, but the truth is important and sometimes gross.

I've so far seen nothing worse than anything I saw in my high school biology class for regular lectures.
    "Sir, you'll have to move, you are blocking the fire exit."
    "Excuse me, but if you have legs and are flammable, you are NEVER blocking a fire exit." I'd run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhias View Post
    Actually, the deluge has been very enlightening to me. Lesson of the week is to not go out of your way to treat people with respect because there is a 90% chance they are narcissistic douchebags.

They can be effective for kids in some cases. When I was pretty young, like 7 or 8, they did the thing at school where they put cotton balls in a plastic bottle and showed us what the smoke did to them when they stuck a cig in there and sucked air through it by squeezing the bottle. That wasn't graphic or ugly or R rated in any form, and it sure worked for me.

That, and I've had a few family members who died from things like heart attacks as a result of smoking in their younger days. My grandpa on Dad's side of the family died from a heart attack when I was 11. Grandpa on my Mom's side of the family died before I was born, same reason. Both smoked a lot when they were younger. I don't touch that shit now.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2012-03-26 at 03:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

They don't. And why? Answer the question why? Is it a money thing or a freedom thing? I'd lean more toward a money thing. It's always about the money.
    you are right they are greedy bastards but even banning it at this point would lead to increased crime (like bootlegging when alcohol was banned) which would mean more government funds would have to be spent fighting crime , If people want to mess up their own lives i'd say let them.If it were up to me id open up prison like clubs where you can party and do drugs all you want but you cant come out til you are sober or no longer high and any usage outside would be considered a crime and maybe allow them smoke or drink within their own property but no hard drugs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post

Apparently it is, since a lot of states/cities have banned smoking in public places and courts are ruling the laws constitutional.
    A lot but not all....Try that in my City and they will laugh at you.